Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@beerking thank you so much for that detective work. We'd never find these.

The culprit (in most cases. as many have discussed) is that neither the Dolby Atmos tag nor the Dolby Audio tag (meaning, in this case, 5.1) can seem to be on anything that has stereo tracks. So remastered albums with bonus tracks usually means they are candidates for being in the hidden multichannel treasure trove. It would be so much easier if those tag were, say, track-based, and we could search on them. Or some other field other than "album".

And in the meantime cataloging this stuff seems improbable. At least we have forum threads like this. :)

@beerking thank you so much for that detective work. We'd never find these.

The culprit (in most cases. as many have discussed) is that neither the Dolby Atmos tag nor the Dolby Audio tag (meaning, in this case, 5.1) can seem to be on anything that has stereo tracks. So remastered albums with bonus tracks usually means they are candidates for being in the hidden multichannel treasure trove. It would be so much easier if those tag were, say, track-based, and we could search on them. Or some other field other than "album".

And in the meantime cataloging this stuff seems improbable. At least we have forum threads like this. :)
It was by pure chance that I found these releases.
I've spent some time today cataloguing some of my collection in Discogs.
Got as far as The Isley Brothers and thought I wonder what they have via Apple on top of what I already have in my library. So I used this person's very handy tool which was highlighted to me via Pups
Introducing the Spatial Audio Finder
Found the brothers listings and thought initially they might be in Atmos but to my surprise and delight, they are in 5.1, instead.
So Ben's search tool can be used for Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio.
I hope this helps others in their own research.

Last edited:
They are indeed and bloomin good ones too!!

When mixing engineers knew their craft!!
3 + 3, Live It Up, and The Heat Is On should also be available.

Live It Up and The Heat Is On (previously-unreleased!) both seem to be sourced from matrix decodes, but 3 + 3 appears to use the same discrete four-channel master as the old Sony SACD.

Live It Up and The Heat Is On (previously-unreleased!) both seem to be sourced from matrix decodes, but 3 + 3 appears to use the same discrete four-channel master as the old Sony SACD.
Yes, I have those three in my library.

There must have been some discussion at the time, all those Isley Brothers releases have been in my library since February 2022.
Yes, that's why I didn't list them in my original post.
Just highlighted them again.
I'm just having an Isley Brothers evening.
Did I really buy their records back in 73 +, I sure did... :SB

It was by pure chance that I found these releases.
I've spent some time today cataloguing some of my collection in Discogs.
Got as far as The Isley Brothers and thought I wonder what they have via Apple on top of what I already have in my library. So I used this person's very handy tool which was highlighted to me via Pups
Introducing the Spatial Audio Finder
Found the brothers listings and thought initially they might be in Atmos but to my surprise and delight, they are in 5.1, instead.
So Ben's search tool can be used for Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio.
I hope this helps others in their own research.
Hey beer, don’t give away your methods! 😀

And yes Ben’s tool is a must, but it’s a pull. I want it pushed. 😀

aside from finally hearing the holy grail "Heat Is On" Quad (never thought i'd see the day!! 🥳😍 ) the biggest revelation for me when the Isley Quads dropped on Apple Music was "Harvest For The World" discrete for the first time after the SQ-only LP version and Quaddier than ever!! 🤯🥰

There must have been some discussion at the time, all those Isley Brothers releases have been in my library since February 2022.
there's bound to have been some chat on here back then, yes 👍

still these lovely vintage Quads getting a new lease on life streaming in Dolby Audio should not just whither on the vine, the Isley Quads are rare and/or previously unreleased, in and of itself that feels like it warrants some kind of spotlight shining on them, or at least the occasional flash.. erm, light 🙃🤷🏻‍♀️🥳

Right, this isn't the comprehensive 5.1 mix I thought it was going to be.

There are 2 releases that are..

they're the two Harold Melvin Quads that saw release back in the nineteen seventeeeesss 🪩🕺🏽 also available on SACD from our Wonderful Wizard of Watford, Mr Michael Theee Foxxx Dutton Vocalion!! yeaaayyyy!! 💘😍🌈🇬🇧🥳😋🤩

IMG_9204.jpeg

IMG_9205.jpeg

Life is a Cabaret, old chum! 🤗🎉
so come to the Cabaret!!
🍷 🎺🎶

ps. WOAAAAAAHHHH YEEEEAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....!!!!!!! 😆🥰🙃❤️😂

Back