Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just discovered this as well... but strangely, after I added both this quad Dolby Audio album and the Atmos album also titled The Best Of Nina Simone but with a different tracklist that was just posted by @fredblue in the streaming Atmos thread, they appear on my Apple TV as one album with the quad cover and both sets of tracks combined:

View attachment 93896

If you have Apple Music on a computer, you can select the tracks from one of the albums and change the Album name (add "(quad)" to the quad one or something. That will separate them back out.

If you have Apple Music on a computer, you can select the tracks from one of the albums and change the Album name (add "(quad)" to the quad one or something. That will separate them back out.
Thanks, I do have Apple Music on my iMac, but: it's a separate library from the one on my Apple TV. This is unfortunate, but it's because I sync my iPhone with the iMac and manage its music on the computer, including a large number of ripped CDs that aren't available in Apple Music at all or not in the same mastering. I would have to sync my library to have consistency between devices, and if I did that, my album customizations (lyrics, better mastered versions, etc.) would be overwritten, as I understand things anyway. If anyone has discovered a workaround for this scenario, I'd love to hear it.

I guess what I'll do for the Nina albums is create a playlist for each on Apple TV.

Thanks, I do have Apple Music on my iMac, but: it's a separate library from the one on my Apple TV. This is unfortunate, but it's because I sync my iPhone with the iMac and manage its music on the computer, including a large number of ripped CDs that aren't available in Apple Music at all or not in the same mastering. I would have to sync my library to have consistency between devices, and if I did that, my album customizations (lyrics, better mastered versions, etc.) would be overwritten, as I understand things anyway. If anyone has discovered a workaround for this scenario, I'd love to hear it.

I guess what I'll do for the Nina albums is create a playlist for each on Apple TV.

You could create a 2nd account on your Mac and log in to the AppleTV Music Library there. That could be useful for lots of of things like this in the future, editing tags, rating songs, etc.

As to your first point, I do have my library with all my CDs etc. "merged" with my Apple Music Library. Despite some early problems, it does not appear to mess with your tags in recent history. I haven't had issues with artwork or tags being changed. If a song gets "matched" there is a chance it will play on other devices as a different mastering, but if your songs are "uploaded" you will get the same mastering wherever you listen. There is a trick to get them "uploaded" that I have been using if the mastering of a particular release is important to me, but isn't really easy, but this discussion is for another thread.

Bottom line, it can work, it isn't really for the feint of heart (I would test on a separate account, etc.) but it can be done.

Last edited:
there's bound to have been some chat on here back then, yes 👍

still these lovely vintage Quads getting a new lease on life streaming in Dolby Audio should not just whither on the vine, the Isley Quads are rare and/or previously unreleased, in and of itself that feels like it warrants some kind of spotlight shining on them, or at least the occasional flash.. erm, light 🙃🤷🏻‍♀️🥳
Agreed! I finally have an ATV 4K on order. Hearing these Isley Bros quads is my main reason... I've been following this thread, and am assuming all previously listed legacy quads are still available through Apple Music?
Also, I haven't seen much talk of it here, but are more recent 5.1 mixes also downloaded? I think I saw Talking Heads, but any other currently unavailable "good stuff"?...

wonder if Carolyn Hester's (single inventory!) Quad album was ever released on Tidal in 360 Reality Audio? 👀

Apple Music shows the Quad LP cover art but it's just all in Stereo 🤷🏻‍♀️

IMG_0678.jpeg

tvOS 17.1 appears to have broken Dolby Audio playback (nothing from the rears). Looking for confirmation.

(follow up, 17.1 looks to be fine, it is the 17.2 beta that breaks things)

Last edited:
Back