Music Video compilations with good surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James_in_VA

Going back to 2014, the prime example was Peter Gabriel's "PLAY" DVD (later on BD with Live in Athens). The 5.1 SACDs were too expensive but for $15 you could get the hits in surround. Life in Surround YouTube channel spoke of Queen's "Greatest Video Hits" as another example. You could pay $$$ to get The Game in 5.1 or you could get the DVD set which spanned much of their career. So what else is out there waiting to be discovered? Again, I'm talking of music video compilations with a surround mix.

1679885356600.jpeg

This ZZ Top collection of videos on DVD is in surround. I thought that Phil Collins‘ Finally..The First Farewell Tour DVD had videos to watch along side the concert, and it does, but they’re in stereo only it seems. I also have several other old DVDs with video compilations: U218, Glass Tiger, Van Halen, and AC/DC Family Jewels but all are stereo. Hard to find surround mixes in those ‘80s videos.😊

Last edited:
Metallica: The Videos 1989-2004. I checked it out after seeing it mentioned here a few times. It has some really interesting mixes. I think ‘One’ is especially improved from its original mix.

Metallica: The Videos 1989-2004. I checked it out after seeing it mentioned here a few times. It has some really interesting mixes. I think ‘One’ is especially improved from its original mix.
I got hold of a used copy for next to nothing - it was so scratched and scuffed I didn't think it would play but to my surprise I was able to rip it to flac files without a problem. I didn't care about the video content, but the surround mixes are well worth hearing if you can find a copy.

Reactions: LTW
While I haven’t watched Lichtmond “Moonlight,” I have the other three discs from their career, and they all have impressive videos to go with the music.

Music is pretty New Agey stuff, video is otherworldly and spacey.

I just got “Moonlight” in yesterday. It’s at the top of my “gotta listen to” pile, but today is Easter and I have other obligations (probably).

I have this disc with the DTS low volume issue. Which audio stream did you rip?
I'm interested in a solution to the low volume (apart from turning it up :)).
I have the same disc. Seems to me the only options worth considering are:
1) Use the AC3 stream which doesn't have the same issue.
2) Get the corrected disc with the Live In Athens BD.

Back