My favorite abum, Ambrosia's 1st album would be great in 5.1 (and sounds great through my Tate)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbyquad

Anyway,

I have a Tate and a QSD-1 restored by Hajime and of all the CD's that I have, my favorite to decode is Ambrosia's first album but I have no idea how to make and burn a proper DVD-audio of this or even a DTS.

The Tate is more discrete but the QSD-1 is smoother. Wish I could have the best of both worlds.

It would be something that everyone would love if only it could get made properly.

Also Crime of the Century but Ambrosia is better.

Any tips on how I could do this?

What would I need?

Terry

I don't have an answer for you, but I also love Ambrosia's first album. I'd love to have both of their first two in surround.

Not sure who owns Ambrosia masters, i beleve it is not the band. I know David Pack and i know he was still not into dealing with the band. He has made his name in production and staying alive that direction. He could hand them to Alan Parsons to mix, they are good friends. In fact they just did a benefit in Santa Barbara together, Dave opened for Alan's band.
I don't have an answer for you, but I also love Ambrosia's first album. I'd love to have both of their first two in surround.

Tad, I would think that Warner owns them now. You are correct about David but I'm not sure he has the rights.
Neil and I were just talking about how nice it would be to see Parsons do a 5.1 mix of Ambrosia and Somewhere I've Never Traveled.
They were originally on 20th Century records but they signed to Warner for Life Beyond LA and on and Warner did re-issue the first two.

Last edited:
Well, it doesn't seem likely then. Anyway. How would I make one then for myself? Can I feed the Tate 4 channel output or the QSD-1 output into a computer sound card? If so, what is the easiest and most recommended way to do this?

What kind of card, software, etc.

I know people make fake upmixes using software but they all sound very harsh.

I just want to do a simple synthesized version using the above decoders.

What are the pros and cons of using each one, the tate and the qsd?

Terry

I know people make fake upmixes using software but they all sound very harsh.

You can't paint every stereo-to-surround conversion out there with the same brush. They are done with different methods by different people with different skill levels. In my experience, and even in some of my older work, any time I attempted to "remaster" what I was working with by using mastering VSTs ended up sounding harsh on higher-end systems. That's why I no longer use that and focus more on choosing the best-sounding source material possible.

Hope that helps.

It's a crap shoot. I've found that the Sansui's do a better job on Stereo stuff than the Tate, probably because the Tate is looking for very specific data.

If you want to really get into doing this type of thing, you really should check out SPEC from www.surroundbyus.com. It is software that allows for some real flexibility in creating surround from stereo. You can find articles here and there about the subject. However, some stereo titles just don't expand well with any decoder or software. It's all a crap shoot.

This is not a scientific test, but I find that if I play a CD or Audio Track in my car, and the Dolby PLII decoder does a somewhat interesting job making it sound "sorta-surround", that source will be a good fit for SPEC and I get pretty good results. If you have an audio receiver with DPLII, you could start there by listening to the disc and seeing if you get anything at all with regard to surround effect.

This is not a scientific test, but I find that if I play a CD or Audio Track in my car, and the Dolby PLII decoder does a somewhat interesting job making it sound "sorta-surround", that source will be a good fit for SPEC and I get pretty good results. If you have an audio receiver with DPLII, you could start there by listening to the disc and seeing if you get anything at all with regard to surround effect.

Headphones do the job for me. A centered vocal and a mix with nice differentiation between the front and back of the soundfield will always translate well. A lot of reverb will trip it up sometimes, as the reverb will go to the rears. Of course, some folks won't mind that.

It is very different with each recording, but sometimes you can find a band that does things simply, which makes it easier for the created mixes. When i was doing this i gave a copy of something i was doing with Los Lobos stuff to the band. A couple of the guys loved it. Try a mix of songs off The Neighborhood and Kiko. Many decode very well with the rebuilt qsd1, which if one has never heard rebuilt, they are downright clear clean and amazing. I have a QSD-1000 and the space with the rebuilt qsd1 is the real deal. Kicks its ass. Besides it is good music, unlike many artists still going these days.

Headphones do the job for me. A centered vocal and a mix with nice differentiation between the front and back of the soundfield will always translate well. A lot of reverb will trip it up sometimes, as the reverb will go to the rears. Of course, some folks won't mind that.

Longtimers will recall how I asked Alan to sign my Ambrosia (1st) album CD booklet: http://www.timbregroup.com/APStory2.htm

It's on my list to monkey with in lieu of the real deal; I got as far as using EAC to prepare a copy to work on in SPEC earlier then everything (HDD) went POOF! Christmas break I'll see if what I worked on is salvaged or just start over. There are a couple upmix discs out there but they weren't top tier like DKA or porFIN.

Terrific warm record that I had on 8 track tape first... always expected a Q8...

Longtimers will recall how I asked Alan to sign my Ambrosia (1st) album CD booklet: http://www.timbregroup.com/APStory2.htm

It's on my list to monkey with in lieu of the real deal; I got as far as using EAC to prepare a copy to work on in SPEC earlier then everything (HDD) went POOF! Christmas break I'll see if what I worked on is salvaged or just start over. There are a couple upmix discs out there but they weren't top tier like DKA or porFIN.

Terrific warm record that I had on 8 track tape first... always expected a Q8...

I feel like I'm being egged on here. ;)

I have a pretty good upmix of the both of them done a year or so ago by one of our members here.
DKA may know who I'm speaking of.
They do sound rather nice as he took some good time with them.
I believe he used a form of QS type of setup to do it.

I've been fans of theirs for many years and have met and partied with Dave, Joe, Chris & Burleigh on several occasions
(years ago) and they are real nice guys. (as were Royce & David Lewis in the later times)
I always thought with AP doing them, they would have gotten the MCH treatment at some point (at least Somewhere I've Never Traveled)
but I'm afraid the only way we may see them will be on Japanese SHM-SACD stereo discs... if ever. :(

I have met them on several occasions, even was part of an interview with them at USC in 1978.

Actually, my first concert was in 1976 by them and Sons of Chaplin. Really great people. I have set lists, posters, tickets, etc over the years but no surround sound material.

It would take a lot of work and time to do their first two albums right I think but those two and Crime of the Century would be the best I could think of to attempt. Just heard a surround sound of Aja on a DVD that was amazing. So I guess anything is possible.

The 2nd is on SHM-CD is Japan but the rest of the albums are now out of print. They go for sky high on ebay now. A pity they went commercial after the second album, they could have been great. Frankly, I got bored with them after Life Beyond LA, even that was middle of the road material.

Last edited:
Back