My Vinyl Journey

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was considering the AR turntable, but the PE2040 was a low priced closeout at the newly opened Team Electronics at the Mall, I was just learning about "Hi-Fi" during 1972, getting a Shure M91ED for 1 cent was quite helpful (I don't know if it was a dealer special or a Shure special), the savings allowed me to get the smaller Advent speakers instead of the (IIRC) AR7 speakers.

Kirk Bayne

Pulling out my hand drawn schematic from years ago of the "Bass Summing Amplifier", I realised that I added Sonics Pre-synth to it as well. I was thinking that I had built two separate project boards. Anyway that circuit was invaluable back then. The Connoisseur turntable had a poor suspension system which contributed to rumble. Rumble is not just caused by warped records. Rumble is caused by any vertical motion of the stylus. It can become a problem when vibrations such as foot falls or heavy bass are coupled through to the turntable. I don't recall it being as much problem with the old units that had a springs under the motor board providing isolation from the plinth.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...atrix-survival-guide.30363/page-2#post-676419
There were many "solutions" to the problem. Specially designed shelves, isolation feet, even hanging the speakers and maybe even the turntable by macramé ropes. With my current turntable I notice no problem with rumble at all. I think that there are several reasons for that. First, my equipment is in the basement so no vibrations transfer through the concrete floor. Second, the Ariston turntable has a very good suspension. The platform that it sits on has rubber feet that I'm sure help to absorb vibration as well. My records are well stored not too many have noticeable warps. The Ariston has a clamp that can be screwed down to firmly hold down the record. I don't normally bother with the clamp but it will help to flatten a warped record when screwed down. Also I don't play my records at excessive volume levels. Normally I digitise my vinyl and play that instead. The digitised version can be cranked up if desired with no worry of rumble effects!

Back