NAS & SSD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Many of us are running NAS for our audio needs.
Experience on using SSD instead of HDD? Especially on temperature.

Storage, close to "write once, ready many" concept, so Trim etc should not be an issue.
I've had several failures in 8 years on the three diffferent nas i use (synology, netgear, d-link), all temperature-related - despite being properly cooled and fans working correctly, so having something that doesn't spin and don't get too hot is very tempting; now with the price tags for flash storage media going down it's a viable option. Also the 2,5 form factor give a extra room for air flow on 3,5 bay.

they run cooler and quicker. the concern was the hard lifespan of number of writes. They actually last longer than expected and for reads it is even higher.
I am still running SATA but the next time I build it will likely be with SSD unless the density required is cost prohibitive.

SSD is currently more expensive than SSD (by a large margin) and capacity is smaller (by a large margin).

SSDs biggest advantage is speed but for a NAS you are limited by network bandwidth so the advantage is limited compared to using one or more in your PC or MAC where you are doing conversions.

I think the largest SSD is around 4TB, and that’s around $900 AUD here vs $230 AUD for a 4TB NAS drive. You still need to have redundancy so 2 or 3 for a RAID. Way to expensive for little return.

SSD is currently more expensive than SSD (by a large margin) and capacity is smaller (by a large margin).
SSDs biggest advantage is speed but for a NAS you are limited by network bandwidth so the advantage is limited compared to using one or more in your PC or MAC where you are doing conversions.
I think the largest SSD is around 4TB, and that’s around $900 AUD here vs $230 AUD for a 4TB NAS drive. You still need to have redundancy so 2 or 3 for a RAID. Way to expensive for little return.

Absolutely on target on all three aspects. As i said above, the main concern for me is temperature as a failure reason.
Since i need to build a small NAS for a place i could visit twice a year i need the most trouble-free solution and, having my fair share of wd red crashed badly during these years on my 3 NAS, all for being too hot one time, a 2x1Tb SSD solution could be the less problematic.

I don't have a dedicated NAS for music purposes, but only use SSD hard drives for digital storage, in general. I'd never go back to conventional HDDs. SSDs are simply fast and reliable. I've also experienced several hard drive failures in the past, and the problem is gone with SSDs. Temperature is not an issue here, and am talking about the 2.5" SSDs.

However, if what you are after is about 2Tb of storage, I'd say the safest solution is the cloud. For the price of an SSD you can pay a Dropbox plus subscription for a few years. Music I really care for is safely stored on Dropbox, and the plus account gives me enough space for that. I can access to that music everywhere I want. When you'll visit that place twice a year, you can download locally, and then delete?

I don't have a dedicated NAS for music purposes, but only use SSD hard drives for digital storage, in general. I'd never go back to conventional HDDs. SSDs are simply fast and reliable. I've also experienced several hard drive failures in the past, and the problem is gone with SSDs. Temperature is not an issue here, and am talking about the 2.5" SSDs.

Good!

However, if what you are after is about 2Tb of storage, I'd say the safest solution is the cloud. For the price of an SSD you can pay a Dropbox plus subscription for a few years. Music I really care for is safely stored on Dropbox, and the plus account gives me enough space for that. I can access to that music everywhere I want. When you'll visit that place twice a year, you can download locally, and then delete?

The NAS will be on a internal networking with NO access to Internet, so no Cloud services.

How long dos it take to upload 2+TB to a cloud solution?

How long dos it take to upload 2+TB to a cloud solution?
I didn’t do it all in one go. I’m using a university connection and it generally takes me 1h for 8/10Gb. So it’s slow in my case. But once it’s there, you can easily download the album you need (for videos or surround files) or directly stream stereo files using an app. Onkyo HF app allows me to download directly from Dropbox to iPhone.

Back