Neil Innes of Rutles & Bonzos dead at 75

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil Innes was one of those really talented people who you remember with a smile. I remember loving watching the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah band on "Do Not Adjust Your Set" (a late-60s UK children's show!), the furore over the single "The Intro And The Outro" (with the line Quentin Hogg {a UK politician with no sense of humour} on Piggy Grunt which caused 'issues' if I remember correctly!), I have all the albums, then there was the brilliant Rutles. There is a bit in todays Times in the Obituary Column for Neil Innes where after he had fallen out with Eric Idle over the Rutles, George Harrison said "You're supposed to be sending us up, not emulating us".

Which got me thinking about having then seen years later (mid-70s) ex-Bonzo's Roger Ruskin Spear's Kinetic Wardrobe at gigs, and an even crazier one where Viv Stanshall and his band hired the PA, and although there were around 7 in the band only 3 or 4 were on stage at any time, there was band member 'rotation to the bar', Vivian Stanshall fell off the stage, then blamed us for a crap sound!

Happy Memories :)

Neil Innes was one of those really talented people who you remember with a smile. I remember loving watching the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah band on "Do Not Adjust Your Set" (a late-60s UK children's show!) :)
Do Not adjust Your Set certainly brings back memories , particularly of Captain Fantastic and his arch enemy Mrs.Black!

I'd forgotten about them!
..................………...and its brought back memories of more late 60s kids TV remember "How"?
and do you remember the rather more obscure rival show on the BBC called "Tom Tom" from around 1968?
tomtom.JPG

It was sort of a cross between Tomorrow’s World and Blue Peter. But it was a bit weird, had a strange obsession with Formula 1 and had a giant Scalextric track in the studio. There was a “Junior Inventors” spot where kids could send in their inventions. I sent in my revolutionary idea to prevent drink driving which was for a breathalyser linked to a circuit that switched off the ignition if it detected alcohol in the car! I thought it was brilliant - I was sent a congratulatory certificate for my idea, which was proudly displayed in my bedroom for several years, but the programme were clearly not that impressed as I was not invited onto the show!

Back