New 2019 MOFI SACD Release of Dire Straits (1st Four)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splinter7

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I just saw that MOFI is releasing the first four Dire straits albums in SACD (Original Master Recording Series) in a few weeks.

Would love to hear the groups thoughts on this VS the Japanese SHM-SACDs.
The pricepoint on the new releases seems to be at around $35 USD for the preorder.
I never got the SHMs - It was a little too rich price wise for my blood even though I only have the original CDs of these titles.
It's funny that when their digitally ripped Itunes files shuffle through in my car or headphones that I can barely hear them compared to a more modern era rip before.

I just saw that MOFI is releasing the first four Dire straits albums in SACD (Original Master Recording Series) in a few weeks.

Would love to hear the groups thoughts on this VS the Japanese SHM-SACDs.
The pricepoint on the new releases seems to be at around $35 USD for the preorder.
I never got the SHMs - It was a little too rich price wise for my blood even though I only have the original CDs of these titles.
It's funny that when their digitally ripped Itunes files shuffle through in my car or headphones that I can barely hear them compared to a more modern era rip before.
I ordered Love Over Gold from Amazon. Never heard the SHMs so I won’t be able to compare, but I’m looking forward to this anyway. If it sounds really good, I might get the others as well.

Love Over Gold is the solid choice to check out the series with. I think I might follow your lead

That's hilarious :ROFLMAO: :sick:
👉 List Price: $68.99... Price: $41.78---You Save: $27.21 (39%)

Thanks for the savings ImportCD!

Don't laugh, Pupster ... those ORIGINAL SHM~SACDs in fancy packaging did list for $60. I know .... I have a bunch of them and felt 'punked' when a few years later they were half that ...albeit in RBCD cases with obi strips.

BTW, Acoustic Sounds is CURRENTLY selling it for $60 [but will allow a 10% discount ...... BIG deal!] https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/75888/Dire_Straits-Love_Over_Gold-SHM_Single_Layer_SACDs

Don't laugh, Pupster ... those ORIGINAL SHM~SACDs in fancy packaging did list for $60. I know .... I have a bunch of them and felt 'punked' when a few years later they were half that ...albeit in RBCD cases with obi strips.

BTW, Acoustic Sounds is CURRENTLY selling it for $60 [but will allow a 10% discount ...... BIG deal!]
I might ( I say - Might - feel better about 'em if they were in "Surround"!)
Yeah, I know, I've paid more myself for titles in stereo, just hit me wrong tonight for some reason.

I might ( I say - Might - feel better about 'em if they were in "Surround"!)
Yeah, I know, I've paid more myself for titles in stereo, just hit me wrong tonight for some reason.

Ironically, those original [and current] single layered SHM~SACDs utilize blank DVDs for replication and according to bmoura, were manufacturered by Universal at their own pressing plants and NOT SONY, as I originally thought. And NO multichannel options is plain RUDE! And that original 'fancy schmancy' packaging certainly added to that 'inflated' cost!

But what can one expect from UMG ....... ALL their current surround discs come in MASSIVE box sets with Vinyl and large coffee table sized tomes.

GREED?

Last edited:
Are those the SHMs with standard packaging?
I knew they weren’t free but thought they were cheaper than that

In '82, I got German Vertigo CD's of the first three. Previously, I had bought them on LP as new releases, later on Japan LP.

I also bought the Japan SHM-SACD's of the first three. IMHO, they sound superb. I've no intention of rebuying them on MoFi SACD's.

Love Over Gold is the only one I've yet to buy. So, I preordered the MoFi SACD of it.

Like many of you, I bought Brothers in Arms as a CD new release and again on 5.1 DVD-A.

In '82, I got German Vertigo CD's of the first three. Previously, I had bought them on LP as new releases, later on Japan LP.

I also bought the Japan SHM-SACD's of the first three. IMHO, they sound superb. I've no intention of rebuying them on MoFi SACD's.

Love Over Gold is the only one I've yet to buy. So, I preordered the MoFi SACD of it.

Like many of you, I bought Brothers in Arms as a CD new release and again on 5.1 DVD-A.

Sorry to nit-pick Linda but wasn't Brothers In Arms an SACD? I don't remember a DVD-A version (but I may have missed it somehow).

I have 6 SHM SACD's, these 4 releases and Brothers in Arms and Alchemy.
My advice is to purchase all 4 preorders from MOFI direct. They are an absolute solid company. I would not trip out and wonder if your missing out on quality of sonics the hybrid SACD vs the SHM SACD, this is a waste of time.
If you care a slight added bonus when ordering direct from MOFI you will get a lower release number than if you ordered from an outside source.
I am not going to order these 4 as I have the SHM SACD's for the only reason of money but with what I know about MOFI and SHM SACD's I would not hesitate with MOFI.

In my opinion they should have gone for something else. These albums already have stellar sonics (I’ve got the originals, mid 90s remasters and japanese SACDs and they all sound everywhere between good and great). There really is nothing to improve I’d say.

I will try one of these to prove myself wrong or right however.

Last edited:
Back