New Install of XP giving me a headache!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I just reinstalled XP Pro and I am the only one using the computer. I guess the way it is set up is there is an administrator and Bob settings (2 different ones). There are certain .exe files that I can't access because it says I don't have the proper permission. I had the same problem with some folders and fixed those but I can't reinstall some of my programs. Others worked just fine. How can I gain access to everything on my computer no matter which settings. I can't even access certain .exe's in Admin. I hate Microsoft!!! PS.. I already have Tweak UI installed so if there is some help there....

Is your Bob account a local admin?

right click my computer, select manage, expand Local Users and Groups, select Groups, on the right side double click on administrators, make sure your Bob account is in there. If not, log in as administrator and add Bob as an administrator.

Turns out it was my AVG software that wouldn't let me open the file. It's not a trojan but the AVG software must have though it was. Thanks for the help Jonathan.

Sometimes you have to "Take Ownership" of files that belong to an earlier version of windows. This will happen if you bring a hard drive from one PC to the other, or install windows over itself and the directories containing the old user files (My Documents, etc) will be inaccessable. Once you take ownership, they're yours! :D (But there's no going back)

Back