New Q8's covered in.....?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I may get some flack for opening sealed/never played Q8's.... but if I'm paying the money for 'em, I'm gonna play & enjoy them.

Question I've had though, is that most, if not all the sealed tapes I've opened have this sort of crystalized kinda buildup on the labels.

What is it and how could I remove it without destroying the otherwise MINT labels?

Not sure. I know what you mean, though. It kinda "sparkles"! :D

I've cleaned hundreds of LP covers, 8 tracks and Reel to Reel boxes with either Windex or Simple Green depending on the amount and type of gunk. If it's oil based Simple Green will work better, general dirt is removed well with Windex because it evaporates fast so it doesn't have time to soak into the label. Just remember to be fast about it so it doesn't soak in and don't scrub too hard otherwise you'll start to remove the ink. A good soft towel or rag is all you need, just make sure to keep turning it so you just don't spread the dirt.

I've cleaned hundreds of LP covers, 8 tracks and Reel to Reel boxes with either Windex or Simple Green depending on the amount and type of gunk.
I would be very wary of using Windex or Simple Green on these crystalized labels. The stuff that Q-Eight is referring to is not dirt or "gunk"; it is a crystaline component of the label itself, most likely caused by a slow chemical reaction between the label and the shrinkwrap. The tiny crystals may clean off just fine, but you risk leaving a tiny pinpoint mark where the crystal used to be, since the ink on the label may come off with the crystal. I would recommend squirting on a bit of Ronsinol lighter fluid, not wiping, and let it evaporate. This might simply dissolve the crystals.

I've tried all those cleaners on regular 8-tracks and nothing really gets it all off. Alcohol does the most harm, takes the ink right off the paper.

Back