NEW quad recordings: offer #1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john e. bogus

Ok, after a too-long delay, I'm ready to make the first of what will hopefully be many offers of NEW and UNIQUE quad recordings to the group! While this first offer might not be one that interests most of the members here, I assure all of you that there will be plenty of varied material from both well known and more obscure artists offered up here in the future.....

What it is: The first offer consists of two bands, Solace and Rwake (from NJ and AR, respectively), live at The Ottobar in Baltimore, MD, on July 3, 2004. Solace is a metal band with an old-school type of musical vibe, whereas Rwake offers a slower, tuned-down, more experimental approach. The Solace set is 30 minutes, Rwake's set is 45 minutes long.

Technical info: The quad recordings were made on a Tascam 4 track DBX cassette deck. The front channels are Nakamichi 300 microphones fed into a Sony D7 DAT deck, then fed into channels 1 & 2 of the Tascam. The rear channels are two small generic condenser capsules mounted on the t-bar below the Nak's with about a 6 inch spacing, fed into channels 3 & 4 of the Tascam. A piece of cardboard was placed in front of the omnidirectional capsules as a Jenklin-type shield, so that the rear microphones could not "see" the stage or PA, thus recording the room ambience in the rear channels. The recording turned out excellent, the results being beautiful ambient quad....the sense of imaging and space is incredible, you can even hear the delay of transient sounds bouncing off the back wall before they hit the rear microphones....MUCH more realistic sounding than the usual stereo audience recordings that I'm used to making. The location for the recording was directly in front of the soundboard. In addition to the 48 khz DAT stereo recording, a DV videotape was also shot with a tripod-mounted Canon ZR-60.....the one flaw of these recordings is that I took the audio feed for the video camera from channels 1 & 2 of the Tascam, and apparently had a flaky connection, as there is no audio on the videotape. Because of this, I have obtained an alternate videotape, tripod shot (also shot in DV format) from the balcony, from supernerd23, another taper that I know.

The package: What I'm sending out is a package that consists of:
2- DBX 4-channel cassettes....these are the actual master tapes, as I
currently have no way to copy them to another 4 channel format.
1- 48khz stereo DAT tape, digitally copied from the DAT master.
1- VHS NTSC videotape, which contains copies of both my DV master and
supernerd23's. (at the very end of the tape, I have a camera shot of the
microphone setup and recording gear)
2- DV NTSC videotapes (no audio)....these are the actual master tapes, as I
currently have no way of making digital DV > DV copies.

The rules:
#1 NO SELLING!!! This is a FREE offer! These bands are gracious enough to allow us to tape the shows, PLEASE respect that by not selling copies of these recordings or giving a copy to anyone who would sell them! Anyone discovered selling these recordings will have action taken against them here by our ever-vigilant moderators. Anyone selling these recordings on ebay will be reported to ebay and you WILL be shut down. If the RIAA happens to take notice of these recordings being sold, you could find them dragging you into court as well. It's perfectly legal to own a copy of these recordings, and to GIVE a copy to someone else, but selling a copy IS illegal. Let's combat the attitude of "I've got mine, neener neener" and SHARE something amongst each other here....this site is about the enjoyment of music in MC formats, so let's try to make sure that everyone can enjoy these recordings and spread them around for free. If everyone plays nicely, then my next offer will be for an artist that is much more well known and popular....we'd all like to see more offers like this in the future, wouldn't we? NO SELLING!!! Got it?
#2 This offer is what is called a "train". This means that the package will be sent to the first person in the train, who copies it and sends it directly to the next person, and so on. When no one else has signed up to receive the package, the end of the train is reached and the package (my irreplacable quad master tapes!) gets sent back to me after everyone else is done with it. Signup is accomplished by posting on this thread that you are interested in receiving the package. The first person in line is bizmopeen, as he was the one who so graciously donated the 4 channel Tascam to this cause, thus making this offer possible in the first place....we all owe him a big THANK YOU! Bizmopeen, once he is done making his copies of the tapes, will send a private message to the next person in line to ask for a mailing address....that next person in line will make their copies and do the same thing, and down the line the train will move. Notice that this system is based on TRUST.....trust that no one will take the recordings and vanish, as well as trusting that these recordings will not be sold....let's not have one person's greed destroy the fun for everyone, ok?
#3 THESE QUAD RECORDINGS CAN ONLY BE PLAYED BACK AND ENJOYED IF YOU HAVE A 4 CHANNEL CASSETTE DECK WITH DBX. Please do not sign up for the train here if you do not also have this necessary piece of equipment. Along with enjoyment of a new quad recording unavailable anywhere else, the other purpose of this offer is to encourage experimentation and advancement of technical knowledge. It is expected that many of you will transfer these recordings to other formats....if you do so, please start a new thread for "offer #1 (insert new format)" for each new format transferred to, and thus seed a train for each new format. I'd like to see these recordings transferred to as many MC formats as possible and trained, so that everyone in the group can enjoy them, regardless of what formats they may have equipment for. 4 channel reel? Easy, many here own two of these decks....offer it up! DVD-A? DTS? Just about everyone can play these formats....offer them up! Get creative....how about replacing the analog front channels with the DAT tracks and synching them up during a transfer to DVD-A or DTS? How about a DVD with both the video and MC audio? DVD with video and the audio in SQ? SQ CD's or DAT tapes? Can we even cram alternate camera angles onto a DVD with acceptable MC audio? Experiment and offer up your results (remember to include full technical details...this is important!) so that everyone here can enjoy them, no matter what equipment they own....let's have FUN!
#5 Since everyone may not be able to copy all or even any of the various formats that this will probably be transferred to, that will obviously prevent some of you from signing up for the various trains. In that case, it is expected that anyone signing up for any of the trains will provide a B&P to any other member of this group who desires one, thus making the recordings available to EVERYONE for free. What's a B&P? It stands for Blanks & Postage: You send a blank (CD, DVD, tape reel, cassette, whatever your choice of format is) to someone who already has the recording in that format, along with adequate return postage....that person simply makes a copy for you and sends it back, using the blank media and postage that you provide. Trades for other recordings are of course also acceptable, as long as there is no monetary exchange. Remember, play nice and share....
#6 By accepting any of these recordings in any format, you are agreeing to all of these rules.
#7 Read rule #1 again....

The tapes are now on the way to bizmopeen, let's get started! Enjoy!

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

Great news, John! Obviously I'm on board; for anyone who is interested in hearing these please PM me, as I will be encoding these to other formats (for those without dbx-capable 4-track cassette machines). Big kudos to JEB for doing the legwork to acquire this material...!

This and new QpS reviews in one week! Life is good! :D

bizmopeen said:
Great news, John! Obviously I'm on board; for anyone who is interested in hearing these please PM me, as I will be encoding these to other formats (for those without dbx-capable 4-track cassette machines). Big kudos to JEB for doing the legwork to acquire this material...!

This and new QpS reviews in one week! Life is good! :D

I'd be interested in hearing them, but don't have the dbx cassette. I can do dts or quad reel.

Thanks

john e. bogus said:
Technical info: The quad recordings were made on a Tascam 4 track DBX cassette deck. john e. bogus

I have a Tascam 234 - 4-tracks at 3.75 IPS with DBX. Is this compatible, or could I record it onto a quad reel and play it back at halp speed? I would be interested though. Sounds very cool. Thanks for the offer. Mike.

"I have a Tascam 234 - 4-tracks at 3.75 IPS with DBX. Is this compatible, or could I record it onto a quad reel and play it back at halp speed?"

If the deck would also play back at the standard cassette speed of 1 7/8 IPS (it should be switchable), then it would be perfectly compatible....in that case, looks like you're first aboard the train and will get the package after bizmopeen (he should PM you and ask for your mailing address when he's ready to send it along to you)....most excellent to see that more than one person here is capable of transferring the recordings directly from my quad cassette master tapes! In theory, the master tape could be copied onto a reel at 2x speed, then the reel copy played back at half speed.....but it seems like this could possibly compound any small speed errors on each deck....try it both ways and see if it makes any difference, it would be interesting to hear the results of this experiment..... So, if you also have a portable 4 channel deck, would you like to start taping some shows too? I'd be glad to give you (or anyone else who wants to try) some technical advice on how to do this....many artists of all types allow audience taping.....if you have the deck, all you need is 4 decent microphones.....

"I would be interested though. Sounds very cool."

Just wait, there will be even better material coming in future offers if everyone can behave with this one first....

"Thanks for the offer."

YW....bizmopeen deserves the credit too!

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

I'd be on board with this idea. I'm always keen on hearing new quad recordings. I have a Yamaha 4-track recorder with dbx. I could transfer it to my digital Alesis 24 bit, 96 khz 24-track recorder for now. That is, until I get the rest of the gear I need to burn it onto DVD-A format.

Sign me up! :D

john e. bogus said:
"I have a Tascam 234 - 4-tracks at 3.75 IPS with DBX. Is this compatible, or could I record it onto a quad reel and play it back at halp speed?"

If the deck would also play back at the standard cassette speed of 1 7/8 IPS (it should be switchable), then it would be perfectly compatible....john e. bogus

The Tascam 234 is ONLY 3.75 IPS, but the DBX is switchable. I also have a TEAC 3340S, so I suppose that I could dub it to a reel at 15 IPS for playback at 7.5 IPS, but I don't know what that would do to the DBX encoding. I don't have a portable recorder either. The 234 is a fairly hefty rack-mounted unit that is pretty well anchored in my quad system. I often thought about doing quad live recordings when I played in bands, but not I am a responsible executive who spends more time in airplanes than in bars listening to music. Hey, this wasn't what I signed on for. Damn reality checks! Mike.

I would also like to hear these recordings, but it would need to be converted to DTS first. As far as the video, it would be a nice bonus, but not strictly necessary. Perhaps some enterprising soul could put it on a quad DTS DVD-V.

sspsandy said:
I would also like to hear these recordings, but it would need to be converted to DTS first. As far as the video, it would be a nice bonus, but not strictly necessary. Perhaps some enterprising soul could put it on a quad DTS DVD-V.

Hey, folks;

I will be doing a DTS transfer myself, and will be making that as well as my raw AIFF files available for any and all who want copies along with or instead of the master tapes John mentions above. Just PM me if you're interested.

I probably will make copies of the video for myself but will not tinker with it any further at this point (time constraints, y'all), so if any enterprising soul wants to marry the multichannel audio with the video I will be happy to supply what materials emerge from my overground lab so that they can take it from there.

Hi, folks; I got the tapes last night and have loaded them into the trusty G4. Cool stuff! The music is very "in your face", and the extra channels make it sound like you're actually in the club getting beer spilled on you...

I'll be working on a DTS transfer over the next few nights. Again, please PM me if you're interested in hearing this transfer.

By request, here's the process I am using: I've loaded the audio into my Mac G4 using my Tascam 4-track cassette recorder (this was recorded by John and played back by me using dbx noise reduction) through a Mark of the Unicorn 24i digital interface using Digital Performer 3.0 software for Mac OS 9.2.2. I'll mix in DP to 4.1 and export to individual AIFF files. Then I'll use Peak 2.5.4 to optimize the playback levels (no NR/compression; I'm not going to change what dynamics this stuff has) and transfer the file format to .wav. Then I'll transfer the files to PC and encode to DTS using SurCode. After that, the files go back to the Mac to burn using Toast Titanium 5.2.

I'm not sure of most of the song titles (or lyrics, for that matter), so if anyone has any insight into that please feel free to pass the info along. Let's rock...!

"Cool stuff! The music is very "in your face","

Which are you talking about, the bands or the recording itself? Both, lol? As I said, these two particular bands might not be of interest to most.....but it IS good stuff, and future offers should include a few items that may have a bit more mass appeal here....

"the extra channels make it sound like you're actually in the club getting beer spilled on you..."

I found the realism and accuracy of the recording to be excellent....the sense of space produced by this particular recording technique has certainly made it worth the while to use in the future when possible....even though the results are an ambient form of quad, it does give you quite a bit more (realism, accuracy, imaging, and sense of space) than the usual stereo recording.... The quality proves that developing a good portable method of field recording at 24/48 (or better) MC is a worthwhile and practical goal....it would be interesting to continue to hear the opinions of others here....

"I'm not sure of most of the song titles "

Me either....perhaps someone can tell us later?

" Let's rock...!"

I did make another real nice C4 tape this last weekend, and there's a few more "taping allowed" shows on my calendar yet this year....*smiles*.....

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

john e. bogus said:
"Cool stuff! The music is very "in your face","

Which are you talking about, the bands or the recording itself?

Both...and that's definitely good! I like the riff-y, dark groove to the music and the recording seems to me actually quite clean while still being punchy and immersive. I did some test mixing last night and fed the lows to my subwoofer...watch out! Time to crank it up and loosen the floorboards...:D

john e. bogus said:
"the extra channels make it sound like you're actually in the club getting beer spilled on you..."

I found the realism and accuracy of the recording to be excellent....the sense of space produced by this particular recording technique has certainly made it worth the while to use in the future when possible....even though the results are an ambient form of quad, it does give you quite a bit more (realism, accuracy, imaging, and sense of space) than the usual stereo recording.... The quality proves that developing a good portable method of field recording at 24/48 (or better) MC is a worthwhile and practical goal....it would be interesting to continue to hear the opinions of others here....
I'm normally more of a fan of discrete "in the middle of the band" quad and less so of the "ambient" kind, but I've gotta admit this sounds really cool; the rear channels for me add a realistic and enveloping space which underscores the aggressive drive of the material itself. I.e., it rocks, it flattens my skull, me like. Bring it on!

"the recording seems to me actually quite clean while still being punchy and immersive"

Yes, this is the type of consistant performance that I've gotten over the years, recording from the audience with these mics.....I absolutely love the bass sound of those Nak's, and the word 'clean' has been used by many to describe the high end or how the tapes sound in general....

"I did some test mixing last night and fed the lows to my subwoofer...watch out! Time to crank it up and loosen the floorboards..."

I've had a few good 'crank-it-up' sessions myself.....*smiles*.....

"I'm normally more of a fan of discrete "in the middle of the band" quad "

One of the few ways to get this type of quad recording is to run a 16 track (or more) deck, taking a soundboard feed from every board channel as well as running 4 audience mics....not a situation that you're likely to be granted permission by the venue to run, not to mention that many bands that allow taping will allow taping from the audience but do not allow soundboard feeds. Of course, you can also make an 'in the middle' type of quad recording with at least two of the microphones on the stage, but that kind of technique is also difficult to pull off in the logistic sense. The only way to make an 'in the middle' type of quad recording using the same microphone technique is to have a quad PA and mix in the venue.....

"and less so of the "ambient" kind, but I've gotta admit this sounds really cool; the rear channels for me add a realistic and enveloping space"

I was afraid that the results wouldn't be worth the extra effort to record in 4 channels.....and I was totally wrong. After all, how 'quad' of a recording can you make of an event that takes place in stereo? As noted, the rear channels totally 'open up' the sense of space.....yes, it's 'only' an ambient type of quad.....but it IS very much so a quad recording, and it's sense of realism and accuracy makes it every bit enjoyable (at least to 2 of us, so far) as an 'in the middle' type of quad recording. Try listening to only the front channels, then add the rears.....yup, it sure is good quad!

"it rocks, it flattens my skull, me like"

Hmmmmmm....I never experienced any skull-flattening....perhaps your subwoofer makes the difference? (I don't use one, I'm only set up for 5.0 at the present) With my particular speaker setup, the usual result of listening to a good live tape is to be blown backwards in the chair (remember that ad for cassettes about 20 years ago?), but that was only with regular stereo tapes.....with the quad recordings, the effect noticed here is to be 'blown into' the center of the listening chair, where I just kinda melted into one spot for 45 minutes or so..... Me likes it too....a lot....

"Bring it on!"

Whenever everybody is ready for the next one!

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

Just as an FYI for all concerned, I've been working on this for a while (in between QpS reviews and the usual work/family shenanigans) and am almost done with test DTS CDs. The only holdup is getting the DTS encoded files for the Rwake show from my PC to my Mac (My CD burner for the PC doesn't seem to want to make anything but coasters at the moment... :mad: ). Any of you fine folks who have any suggestions on how to network Mac and PC, I'm all ears...

That said, I've tried 2 different mixes of the Rwake show, both "dry"/no extra processing. I've got a 5.1 flavor (to give my sub a workout) and a 4.0 flavor; the 4.0 is what I prefer and is what I'm finishing up now. Solace to follow. If anyone has any questions/suggestions/preferences feel free to let me know, and I'll start to get stuff out over the next few days...thanks again, John!

This may be a dumb question, but what quad format are these in? CD-4, QS, SQ?
If QS is available then that would be cool.

"what quad format are these in? CD-4, QS, SQ?"

The quad master tapes are 4 channel cassettes, with dbx noise reduction....see the original posting of my offer for more details on how the tapes were recorded. From the above postings of others, it looks like these tapes will be transferred to DTS CD's, DVD-A, 4 channel reels, and possibly Q8.....

"If QS is available then that would be cool"

I know one person involved who has an SQ encoder, and they might do a transfer into that format....not sure about QS, though..... If you have a 4 channel cassette deck with dbx, then feel free to sign up for the train....if not, then wait for others to post a reoffer in a format that you can play. As soon as I hear more feedback from others as to how the tapes sound, and the first offer starts circulating successfully, then I'll toss out the next offer....have fun! Been busy with emergency repairs to one of my rental units over the last couple weeks, so I probably missed a couple of good shows in there somewhere, but I should at least be able to get to The Hidden Hand shows later in the month.....

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

Hey, folks;

I do have a test CD of the Rwake in DTS 4.0, so can send that out to all who PM me (and I do know of a couple of folks who already want copies). I'm really trying to get a couple of "pops" out of 2 track changes on the disc, but will be happy to send out advance copies to anyone who wants to hear it now.

In addition, I'm the guy with the SQ encoder, so anyone who's interested should let me know if they want to hear it that way and I'll send a copy along...

"I'm really trying to get a couple of "pops" out of 2 track changes on the disc, but will be happy to send out advance copies to anyone who wants to hear it now."

Why bother to send out (and circulate) junk copies? Hopefully you can get this little problem solved easily....what do you think happened?

"In addition, I'm the guy with the SQ encoder, so anyone who's interested should let me know if they want to hear it that way"

Great to hear that you're going to play with SQ encoding after all! I think it will be very interesting indeed to directly compare SQ to DTS, especially in regards to what both formats do to the sound when it's folded down into stereo playback. Since the two pairs of microphones essentially recorded the same thing, but were out of phase with each other (antiphase), in theory most of the signal would cancel when the front and rear channels are summed. My guess is that every type of matrix or digital encoding of these recordings will produce a completely different result when played back in stereo.....we'll probably find that one performs better than the others in this regard....

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

john e. bogus said:
"I'm really trying to get a couple of "pops" out of 2 track changes on the disc, but will be happy to send out advance copies to anyone who wants to hear it now."

Why bother to send out (and circulate) junk copies? Hopefully you can get this little problem solved easily....what do you think happened?

Well, it's been a bit frustrating but I believe I've got it solved; I re-mixed/encoded the two tracks in question, and I don't hear the same problems. I was also having an issue with the DTS signal "dropping out" between tracks, but that also seems to be better now that I'm using an intermediary program to create a disc image (Adaptec Jam) before burning. Again, I'm working with Mac here, so if anyone has any further suggestions for working on that platform I certainly will listen...

john e. bogus said:
"In addition, I'm the guy with the SQ encoder, so anyone who's interested should let me know if they want to hear it that way"

Great to hear that you're going to play with SQ encoding after all! I think it will be very interesting indeed to directly compare SQ to DTS, especially in regards to what both formats do to the sound when it's folded down into stereo playback. Since the two pairs of microphones essentially recorded the same thing, but were out of phase with each other (antiphase), in theory most of the signal would cancel when the front and rear channels are summed. My guess is that every type of matrix or digital encoding of these recordings will produce a completely different result when played back in stereo.....we'll probably find that one performs better than the others in this regard....

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

I agree; undoutedly comparing the results on these projects will be interesting. I'll be sending out the tapes to the next party on the train, so if anyone want to hear what I have so far, just drop me a line...

I finished transferring the Rwake and Solace 4 channel cassettes to the hard drive of my Alesis recorder at 24/96. As it turned out, my Yamaha MT-44D DIDN'T have dbx like I thought, but dolby. I tried an outboard dbx "type I" decoder, but this created a heavily accentuated high end. I'm pretty sure that your recorder uses "type II" dbx. Anyways, listening to just the front channels without the dbx, it still sounds like a well recorded, audience recording. Add the rear channels and it really fills in the soundfield unlike any other stereo bootleg recording I've heard.

The music itself isn't something that I normally gravitate towards (I guess the screaming vocals and drop C and D tunings give most of the songs a certain "sameness" to me). But it is still powerful. Of the two bands, I thought Rwake was more original, having more interesting guitarwork.

In any event, keep up the good work and I look forward to hearing more of your recordings. (y)

Back