NEW quad recordings: offer #1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I finished transferring the Rwake and Solace 4 channel cassettes to the hard drive of my Alesis recorder at 24/96."

Is this piece of gear something other than an ADAT machine? If it's something that might be usable in the field, I'd be very interested in hearing more about it! I'd LOVE to find a *digital* MC field recorder that runs at least 24/48, but there dosen't really seem to be anything suitable on the market (yet!).....I'm kind of leery about going with the laptop / external A/D approach, especially considering that it would be used in small, crowded, and often rowdy clubs....

"I tried an outboard dbx "type I" decoder, but this created a heavily accentuated high end. I'm pretty sure that your recorder uses "type II" dbx."

I never knew that there were two types of dbx....what's the difference?

"Anyways, listening to just the front channels without the dbx, it still sounds like a well recorded, audience recording."

Did you have the ability to listen to the 2 channel DAT?

"Add the rear channels and it really fills in the soundfield unlike any other stereo bootleg recording I've heard."

What I think is cool is the way that the rear channels seamlessly wrap the soundfield of the front channels around to the sides and extend the width of the frontal image.....and what's even more cool, I've discovered that after comparing additional recordings from different venues, these recordings actually will accurately image the shape and size of the room!

"The music itself isn't something that I normally gravitate towards (I guess the screaming vocals and drop C and D tunings give most of the songs a certain "sameness" to me)."

I feel the exact same way, for the exact same reason.....the next couple of packages contain music that is quite a bit more accessable, and will have a much broader appeal here.....it only gets better! Stay tuned!

"But it is still powerful. Of the two bands, I thought Rwake was more original, having more interesting guitarwork."

If you enjoyed Rwake at all, I can also recommend Mastodon's latest release, which I commented on in another thread not long ago.....although only a handful of songs are mixed in surround, and it's a DVD-V with music only on it (in addition to a stereo CD) in DD, it's still cool to see 5.1 music being released by a band like this.....and for the price of just a regular CD, you can't go wrong if you enjoy this sort of music.....

"In any event, keep up the good work and I look forward to hearing more of your recordings."

I've got lots of great stuff about to be sent out and will post the next offer soon....fans of bands like Foghat, Soundgarden, Audioslave, The Cult, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, King Crimson, and maybe Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree should be on notice for the next couple sets of tapes. I have several friends who play in jangly indie rock type bands (one of which recently got signed to 4AD!), so I'll be recording some of this stuff too for those of you who enjoy more mellow sounds....I was going to do one of these shows last month, but got sick that weekend and didn't make it. Glad that you enjoyed the tapes, and thanks for your comments.....there's plenty more to come!

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

Last edited:
BTW, just to reiterate to all interested parties, please feel free to send me a PM with your address and I'll be happy to send out copies of my DTS transfers of the Rwake/Solace shows John recorded...also available in SQ quad!

john e. bogus said:
"I finished transferring the Rwake and Solace 4 channel cassettes to the hard drive of my Alesis recorder at 24/96."

Is this piece of gear something other than an ADAT machine?

The Alesis recorder I have (model HD24) is different from a traditional ADAT in that it doesn't record onto tape but records onto it's own removable IDE hard drive. It is a 24 track recorder when used at either 441.1 or 48 Khz. It can also record at 88.2 and 96 Khz, but when recording at these higher resolutions, the track capabilities are cut in half to 12 tracks (it runs at 24 bits either way).

This particular model runs at the higher resolutions through the digital ins only. I use a Panasonic/Ramsa WZ-AD96 outboard AD converter for this purpose.

Alesis makes a more expensive model (the HD24XR) which has built-in 88.2 and 96 Khz AD converters. This would be the way to go I suppose if you want high resolution and don't want to splurge on an outboard hi-res AD converter.

john e. bogus said:
I never knew that there were two types of dbx....what's the difference?
I'm guessing that type I is the higher quality of the two as it was found mainly in reel-to-reel machines (my TASCAM 80-8 8-channel deck uses this type) while type II is found mainly in cassette decks.

john e. bogus said:
" Did you have the ability to listen to the 2 channel DAT?
No, I don't own a DAT machine.

Back