New Quiz: name 6 songs that were banned

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not going to compete in the contest but it is something that is funny..... what was considered objectionable over the years...the mere mention of getting "high" was at one time a no no for the Doors on the Ed Sullivan show...and years later in the Doors song THE END... the lyrics mentioned "a killer" wanting to have sex with his mother and killing his father..a long way from merely talking about getting high......and Nirvana had all kinds of bizarre words and song titles..like aneurysm

Hmmmm?
-
STONES-LETS SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER

KINKS-LOLA

LORETTA LYNNE-DIVORCE?

NIRVANA-LITHIUM?

BEATLES-LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS

SEX PISTOLS-GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

Those are my guess' s

Last edited:
Well, I believe the Stones were pressured to change "spend the night" to "spend some time" on the Sullivan show if that counts. And according to Lennon the BBC banned "I am the Walrus" for the use of the word 'knickers'.

I'd go with figgywigs41's answers EXCEPT D-I-V-O-R-C-E which was by Tammy Wynette, not Loretta Lynn. Lynn's Don't Come Home A' Drinkin' (With Lovin' on Your Mind) would be my guess. If not that, it would be her The Pill.

A couple more that were banned on WLS in Chicago, although both were played by them when released, then blacklisted:
They're Comin' to Take Me Away - Napoleon XIV

[video=youtube;hnzHtm1jhL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4[/video]

Second song/video is on next post.

Hmmmm?
-
STONES-LETS SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER

KINKS-LOLA

LORETTA LYNNE-DIVORCE?

NIRVANA-LITHIUM?

BEATLES-LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS

SEX PISTOLS-GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

Those are my guess' s

Eight Miles High - The Byrds IMHO, their best song. BTW: the 1990 4CD box set with a black cover is my ALL-TIME FAVORITE BOX SET, not including boxes that are simply a collection of previously released albums, like The Beatles. BTW: I own literally hundreds of box sets.

[video=youtube;4Il9q397lL0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Il9q397lL0[/video]

I had originally mentioned it on my first post, but moved it to the second post, due to our website's inability to accommodate two video clips. No doubt it hadn't posted yet while Figgywigs41 was typing his post. Good job!! I know you've seen it by now, because you gave it a Thanks and Like.

Hey Quad Linda, I'm not totally certain, but wasn't eight miles high also on the do not play list??

Yes, I figured it out after posting--thanks, good choice!

I wonder how LOU REEDS-WALK ON THE WILD SIDE escaped censorship? Excellent tune too.

I think the Beatles tune was "A Day in the Life", as the BBC banned it because of the phrase "I'd Love to Turn You On"

And the Kinks for "Coca-Cola", thus giving us the "Cherry Cola" version

Amazing how stringent the Beeb were (cherry cola) compared to what they allow now.

I initially assumed "banned" meant banned by the BBC

The Stones- Lets Spend the Night Together
Beatles - There have been several, A day in the life, I am the Walrus, Come Together, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, also Wings - Hi Hi Hi and Give Ireland Back to the Irish
Loretta Lynn - no clue
Sex Pistols- God Save the Queen
Kinks - Lola
Nirvana - no clue

Those are the ones I knew of. I went to Wikipeda to check if I was right and found a list with all kinds of absurdities. How about...

"Cradle Song (Brahms' Lullaby)" – Frank Sinatra (1944)
"Danny Boy" – Conway Twitty (1959)
"Deep in the Heart of Texas" – Bing Crosby and Woody Herman (1942)
"God Bless the Child" – Billie Holiday (1942)
"(How Little It Matters) How Little We Know" – Frank Sinatra (1956)
"I Hear the Angels Singing" – Frankie Laine (1954)
"I'll Be Home for Christmas" – Bing Crosby (1943)
"I'm Always Chasing Rainbows" – Perry Como (1949)
"Kodachrome" – Paul Simon (1973)
"Leader of the Pack" – The Shangri-Las (1964)
"Mack the Knife" – Bobby Darin (1959)
"Monster Mash" – Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers (1962)
"The Sabre Dance" – Woody Herman (1948)
"Sincerely" – Liberace (1955)
"Somebody Up There Likes Me" – Perry Como (1956)
"St. Therese of the Roses" – Malcolm Vaughan (1956)
"The Story of a Starry Night" – Glenn Miller (1954)
"Teen Angel" – Mark Dinning (1959)
"Tell Laura I Love Her" – Ricky Valance (1960)
"Till the End of Time" – Perry Como (1945)
"You'll Get Yours" – Frank Sinatra (1956)

Wow Ol' Blue Eyes and Perry Como are almost up there with the Fab Four in total bans...

• As strange as it may seem Napoleon XIV They're Coming To Take Me Away, HA HA ... was banned in the Los Angeles area back in the day. I used to have this on a 45. The flip side was the song in reverse.
  • And The City Snow Queen was not played on Boss Radio, but KRLA played it anyway. I've got this one on Blu-Spec CD.
  • Standells Dirty Water was another.

I think the Beatles tune was "A Day in the Life", as the BBC banned it because of the phrase "I'd Love to Turn You On"

And the Kinks for "Coca-Cola", thus giving us the "Cherry Cola" version

correct- Loretta Lynn song was about the birth control pill
and the SE Pistols was the song "Rape"

The thing about most 'banned' records is that most became hits anyway, so banning them didn't really amount to much beyond shortening their chart/airplay stint, but in the end, most sold very well. The proof in that is in the charts: the Napoleon XIV novelty was only on the charts six weeks but got to #3, while "Eight Miles High" made it to #14 Billboard (two months on the chart).

Indeed, the only way to really kill a record would be if it were so appalling or depressing most stations wouldn't touch it. That's not a 'ban' in the strict sense, but a ghoulish little beast like the Jimmy Cross necrophilia ode "I Want My Baby Back" (an obtuse parody of "Leader of the Pack," where the Detergents (Ron Dante) "Leader of the Laundromat" was painfully obvious) was great fun to have hidden in your collection when you were a kid (as I did), and only got to the '90s in BB.

One forgotten hit that probably WAS hurt by stations refusing to play it was by none other than the Beatles, re "The Ballad of John & Yoko" in 1969. The use of 'Christ' in each chorus did the trick, and even offering a censored DJ version didn't really help (then again, even if it had been 'clean' it wasn't very much to brag about to start with).

As for Wiki, that list posted above is so dubious I won't even comment on it, other than to repeat, since most of those records were major hits, who or what banned them and where didn't amount to spit. Besides, a ban would have to be organized and pervasive to be effective, and such instances are so rare I don't remember one.

But since we've brought up some Leaders of the Banned, here's a vid clip, followed by the answer record (kinda):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m138-Fn5Tw

ED :)

The 'giving head' verse was edited out of the 45 version, so it was (sort of) same for AM airplay. But the Lp cut got plenty of FM play, so censoring the song didn't turn out to mean much.

Similarly, the Doors' "Love Me Two Times" had the 'knees got weak' verse edited out as well, for 45 release back in '67.

ED :)

I agree with Quad Linda that 8 Miles High is the Byrds' finest. It was facinating just watching them mime those great guitar parts. Crosby's expression clarifies the high in the lyrics too. :smokin

Back