New Steve Hackett and Chris Squire album in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I tried to buy this in HMV today, as Amazon UK say they have it in stock.. but HMV didnt have it in the racks in-store and worse still, the staff at HMV had never even heard of it nor could they find any info about it :(

Ok - Just got this....

The disc has stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 and thankfully DTS, I'll need to check the bit rate later....

I just noticed that the Stereo is MPEG! and won't play on my Oppo!!!!!! who the hell still uses MPEG on DVDs??????

FYI - The surround mix is by Roger King who also produced and plays keyboards on this.

Ok - Just got this....

The disc has stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 and thankfully DTS, I'll need to check the bit rate later....

I just noticed that the Stereo is MPEG! and won't play on my Oppo!!!!!! who the hell still uses MPEG on DVDs??????
received mine today. Played the 5.1 once now. Music is quite nice, a bit Yes and Genesis, which is not so surprising :)

The mpeg stereo doesn't make a sound on my Oppo either, although there is also a PCM stereo track on the disc that plays fine.

I'd also I just figured out that you have to select the stereo from the menu, not just via changing audio stream... It's in a different title.

I have to say that so far I don't really like the sound quality or mix... Music-wise - there are some good elements.... overall I'm not so sure...

I'd also I just figured out that you have to select the stereo from the menu, not just via changing audio stream... It's in a different title.

I have to say that so far I don't really like the sound quality or mix... Music-wise - there are some good elements.... overall I'm not so sure...

oh dear.. that's disappointing, LizardKing.. I've been so looking forward to this too!

It is nowhere to be found on store shelves here in the UK, however, or I'd already have bought it, so maybe it's just as well if it's not upto much.

oh dear.. that's disappointing, LizardKing.. I've been so looking forward to this too!

It is nowhere to be found on store shelves here in the UK, however, or I'd already have bought it, so maybe it's just as well if it's not upto much.

I need to have some more listens before I comment further.... too many new discs this week!!!!!

I need to have some more listens before I comment further.... too many new discs this week!!!!!

In know bumper week from me
In 5.1 Squackett & Ziggy Stardust
On CD XPTs, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, PiL, still bashing my way through the Colourbox Box set, have not yet listened to and all the Deluxe editions of the Small faces albums and the Tedeschi Trucks album

OK - I've had a couple more listens....

This really isn't grabbing me....

It sounds "muffled" to me. The 5.1 mix also doesn't sound that discrete also...the vocals are quite "processed" sounding. That may be a good thing with Chris Squire's singing though ...:eek:

The DVD-V disc offers LPCM Stereo, Dullby 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

I don't like how the disc is authored:
1. When playing the graphic is the album cover moving around the screen - and the resolution is crap... you can see "shimmering" in the text with the graphic moving.
2. The Stereo and 5.1 are in different groups, so you can't easily switch using the "audio" button.
3. There are "blank" MPEG audio tracks in both titles - I initially thought that this was the stereo track when I first played it...
4. The menus look amateur. I could do a better job. Let alone some of the guys here....​

On the positive side there is come classic Hackett guitar and Squire bass.....and the packaging is really nice with a glossy Digibook, but they use cardboard sleeves rather than the plastic holders...

Disappointing....

What do other people think of this?

I'll have to give it another spin....

I've listened to it once and it's not one I want to immediately replay. I will listen to it in the car to familiarise myself with the tunes and then go back to the DVD.

OK - I've had a couple more listens....

This really isn't grabbing me....

It sounds "muffled" to me. The 5.1 mix also doesn't sound that discrete also...the vocals are quite "processed" sounding. That may be a good thing with Chris Squire's singing though ...:eek:

The DVD-V disc offers LPCM Stereo, Dullby 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

I don't like how the disc is authored:
1. When playing the graphic is the album cover moving around the screen - and the resolution is crap... you can see "shimmering" in the text with the graphic moving.
2. The Stereo and 5.1 are in different groups, so you can't easily switch using the "audio" button.
3. There are "blank" MPEG audio tracks in both titles - I initially thought that this was the stereo track when I first played it...
4. The menus look amateur. I could do a better job. Let alone some of the guys here....​

On the positive side there is come classic Hackett guitar and Squire bass.....and the packaging is really nice with a glossy Digibook, but they use cardboard sleeves rather than the plastic holders...

Disappointing....

ah well, kudos to the record company (or whoever) for making it happen anyway, even if it is a bit "meh".

thank you for the details & info LizardKing, much appreciated :)

Ok, so I just bought this record a few days ago at a Yes concert since this version was autographed by Chris Squire :)

I think the music is good, but this is not a good surround mix at all, in terms of both quality and mix.
If this was a poll, I'd probably give it a 6. I say avoid it simply because of the costly price.

Interesting. The current (SEPTEMBER 2012) issue of Sound & Vision magazine gives this a rave review as a DVD-Audio disc. The reviewer says that "After spending days immersed in a sea of 5.1, I can honestly say that I'm just not interested in hearing A Life Within a Day in stereo - ever."

Were there two versions? Is this an error on their part, this being a DVD-Audio. I guess I should order one and check it out.

Mine's definitely just a plain old DVD-V with DTS. The authoring is crap too...

This hasn't grabbed me...and I'm a huge Yes & Genesis fan..

The mix is "muddy"...

It's drenched in reverb, like bad late 70s and 80s albums. That's why it sounds 'muffled' or 'muddy'. When will old proggers learn that Eddie Offord production circa 1972 sounds less dated than Mike Stone production circa 1982?

Product Description
File YES. CD + bonus DVD-Audio containing 5.1 mix. Hugely anticipated 2012 debut album from Chris Squire (Yes) & Steve Hackett (prime period early Genisis)

Product Description
File YES. CD + bonus DVD-Audio containing 5.1 mix. Hugely anticipated 2012 debut album from Chris Squire (Yes) & Steve Hackett (prime period early Genisis)

The disc I have is DVD-V with DTS...

Back