New Technology SQ Decoder discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disclord

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Plattsburg, MO (just outside Kansas City)
I think, it should be now enough with special wishes. What we nowreally need after years of waiting is a well working Demodulator with high quality in sound and best possible channel separation. Only the different modes for the connection of different working phono cartidges like MM and MC is a wellcome feature. No more and no less. Those, who likes to experient with their PC may do this with stereo equipment. Most of us needs "only" a satisfying CD-4 Surround-Sound.

Dietrich

Now we need to find someone to build a modern decoder for SQ - digital with decoding over 10 or more bands, like DTS Neo:6 does. Actually, instead of dedicated SQ, it should do both SQ and QS with full logic for both.

I still can't believe a modern CD-4 demodulator is being made - I keep thinking I'll wake up and it will all have been some wonderful dream.

One thing I think many of us quad fans would like to have is an external VU channel display - the VU meters on old quad gear like the Sony SQD-2020 are so cool and I'd love to have a modern outboard unit that had 6 VU meters for 5.1 channel. I've seen, in many DVD featurettes, a 6-channel VU unit that seems - in all the videos - to be completely self-contained. It's also part of the equipment that DTS supplies to studios for mastering the DTS CD-ROM's for the theatrical system. Since it's a pro piece of gear, it's probably really expensive though.

Wasn't the Dolby surround /prologic developed from SQ?
I thought I had heard it mentioned that Dolby and SQ both being matrix systems there is some compatibility between them?

No, Dolby originally used the QS encoder to encode a single, mono surround, and encoded the front L/R and Center directly. The QS Vario-Matrix was used in decoders to decode only the mono surround channel. Dolby was never satisfied with the Vario-Matrix and when Ray Dolby became aware of the Tate Directional Enhancement System, instantly took a license for it - Dolby engineers modified the working of the Tate IC's with extensive add-on's and Dolby created their own encoder, based more than anything on the Dynaco Dynaquad matrix, but with 90 degree phase shifts to allow "interior" panning capability and improve decoding performance. Until the late 1980's, all Dolby Stereo theatrical decoders used the Tate DES in this 'modified' way. The 'compatibility' of Dolby and SQ with each other is simply due to the fact that they encode the front channels in an identical manner and the single Surround channel in Dolby is encoded the same way as SQ's Center Back channel. Sounds intended to come from all over in Dolby Surround - i.e. those panned half-way between front and back - have a +90 phase shift between Lt and Rt and thus, in an SQ decoder, will decode incorrectly into Right Back - so, for example, using the Fosgate Tate to decode a Dolby Stereo film, if a sound pans from Center to Surround, it's heard to move from Center Front to Right Back, then finally Center Back, which is weird sounding. The compatibility between QS and Dolby Surround is only between Center Front and Center Back - that's it - all other directions are decoded incorrectly with either decoder. So, while giving wrong directionality for any side or rear sound other than Center Back, SQ is 'more' compatible with Dolby than QS since all front sounds and center back are decoded identically. (SQ encoded Right and Left Back will decode in all channels equally with a Dolby decoder, either Pro-Logic or Pro-Logic II, due to the equal level quadrature phase shifts.)

Although many have claimed Dolby took a license from CBS for Dolby Surround, or that it was based on QS, it's completely untrue - Dolby Surround was licensed from the 'father of matrixing' Peter Scheiber, using his 'diamond' matrix, up until the patents all expired. Peter also licensed Dolby to sub-license the decoding process and Logic-based decoders - Peter was the very first person to conceive of adding "logic" to the outputs of a matrix decoder to improve separation. Sadly, Peter is now broke after being kinda screwed by Dolby Labs.

Heres a question, could those early dolby encoders be cannabilized to recover the DES chips and restore some Tates and Audionics units???

Yes, although you'd have to match the chips to the decoder - the Fosgate Tate II 101A used only the Exar made Tate II IC's, while the Audionics Composer used both the National Semiconductor made Tate IC's and the Exar Tate II IC's, but without the Automatic Dimension Control for proper 'side' imaging and super fast attack/decay time of the Fosgate Tate. BTW, there were a very few correctly made Tate chips made by National at the very end of the run (only about 900 Tate chip sets, total, were made by National) that had a properly working "Processor" section. Dolby got those simply for experimental purposes when National dropped the Tate project. When Dolby designed Pro-Logic in 1988, it was the end of the Tate DES in any implementation.

Probably not the right thread to ask this Disclord, but you seem to prefer the Tate II over the space and image composer when I understood the tate was made as a cheaper and more affordable decoder. I have a composer, which was restored for me by quadbob by taking the chips out of a tate and replacing the dead ones in the composer. With its visual display and adjustments it is more attractive and it seems to have a lower noise floor and sounded better than the Tate. I understood it was a better decoder that the Tate. Have you listened to both side by side? Also, if the composer got the National Semiconductor chips, would it have the Automatic Dimension Control function?

Moderator please move this to a new thread if this is going way off topic here.

Probably not the right thread to ask this Disclord, but you seem to prefer the Tate II over the space and image composer when I understood the tate was made as a cheaper and more affordable decoder. I have a composer, which was restored for me by quadbob by taking the chips out of a tate and replacing the dead ones in the composer. With its visual display and adjustments it is more attractive and it seems to have a lower noise floor and sounded better than the Tate. I understood it was a better decoder that the Tate. Have you listened to both side by side? Also, if the composer got the National Semiconductor chips, would it have the Automatic Dimension Control function?

Moderator please move this to a new thread if this is going way off topic here.

Oh, no question, the Audionics has a bit better fidelity than the Fosgate. Plus, the Audionics has better phase shifters in the SQ matrix - 8-Pole vs 6-Pole in the Fosgate. But, the Tate II IC's in the Fosgate are better than those used most of the Audionics units - I say 'most' because Audionics retrofitted the Tate II chips into the Composers - but, because the Audionics didn't use the Automatic Dimension Control (ADC) (it would have required a complete redesign of the Composer), even with the Tate II chips it could never have the same logic steering capability as the Fosgate - the ADC was an external circuit because the "processor" section didn't work in the National Tate IC's - Martin Willcocks will still inventing/patenting the Tate ADC at the time the composer was finished, so the Composers external 'processor' section never took advantage of his designs. Due to that fact and the defective IC's, Audionics was forced to slow the logic down to minimize audible decoding artifacts and make the Composer work well decoding SQ encoded material. The Exar Tate II chips sounded much better than the National chips but combined with Jim Fosgates processor design and Martin Willcocks ADC patents, the Fosgate has precise imaging over 360 with no more than 2 degrees of positional error and no more than 2db level variation for all sounds, whereas the Audionics can only create phantom images over the front or back quadrants - the sides are 'empty' and 'basically' not decoded at all... When the Composer was released, reviewers in Stereophile and The Absolute Sound noticed that right away. Between the Tate II IC and the improved processor/ADC, the Fosgate has an attack time of 1-3 milliseconds, compared to the Audionics 9-12 milliseconds - that's a major improvement and allows it to sound much more discrete - the faster logic attack time does cause the Fosgate to have slightly more distortion than the Composer though - the improvements in the ADC also allow the Fosgate to recognize equal signals in all 3 axis of the Energy Sphere and so it can decode 3 directions simultaneously, which the Audionics really can't do. The 3-axis capability means the Fosgate is rarely reduced to the basic, non-logic, matrix so it sounds like it's producing discrete separation at all times. The only other SQ decoder that had 3-axis capability was Lynn Olson's Shadow Vector, which sadly wasn't released since Audionics thought the Tate DES would get to market sooner, so they dropped Shadow Vector development. (Fosgate's last stand-alone decoder before Pro-Logic II, the Six-Axis from Citation, had a name that was horribly misleading - it's really only a two-axis decoder design and the name was very poorly chosen!)

In overall functionality, the Audionics Composer is a much more versatile unit - it has a better directional display as well as variable quad synthesis and the ability to adjust the amount of crosstalk cancellation - plus the Axial Tilt Adjustment for LP's. Jim Fosgate wasn't going for the most featured decoder - he wanted the best possible SQ/motion picture/stereo surround decoding from the most advanced system available at that time. Features like variable surround synthesis were dropped in favor of going all-out for performance.

So, like most people, I'm totally biased - I think the Fosgate is a better unit, other disagree and prefer the Audionics or Sansui's Vario-Matrix (which I don't care for at all) - the fidelity differences between the Fosgate and Audionics are not large enough to make a big difference to me - individual recordings and speaker positioning/room interactions make a bigger difference and I like its soundfield and decoding ability of the Fosgate better than the Audionics, in both the synthesized surround mode and decoding SQ - the "Movie" mode is also great for SQ recordings encoded via the CBS Forward Oriented SQ encoder because its decode perfectly matches the optimal forward oriented SQ code, unlike the regular SQ mode - in "movie" mode it will decode Center Back correctly as in-phase Center Back, whereas in the SQ mode, CB will decode as Center Front which the Forward Oriented encoder was meant to do (for mono compatibility, )... if a 'standard' SQ or Dolby film is decoded via the "movie" mode, it decodes with Center Back out of phase, so no in-between LB/RB or CB imaging is possible in "movie" mode.

Thanks Disclord for your very informative post .I did not know there was a difference in attack times, and decoding on the sides and in three directions. Still its all in what your ears hear. Technically, from your explanation, the Tate sounds like it does a better job. So, going off topic again, what do you think of the Fosgate DSM-3610 and its creation of a surround field? Or using the Shure hts 5300 for that purpose?
This discussion should be moved to a new thread.......except that I am really looking forward to Lous new demodulator!

Thanks Disclord for your very informative post .I did not know there was a difference in attack times, and decoding on the sides and in three directions. Still its all in what your ears hear. Technically, from your explanation, the Tate sounds like it does a better job. So, going off topic again, what do you think of the Fosgate DSM-3610 and its creation of a surround field? Or using the Shure hts 5300 for that purpose?
This discussion should be moved to a new thread.......except that I am really looking forward to Lous new demodulator!

Funny you mention the DSM-3610 - I had a Fosgate DSM-3606 'Pro*Plus' - While I've owned a Fosgate Tate 101A since 1984, (the mail-order LaserDisc retailer, Starship Audio Industries had Fosgate's last 100 units and had them on 'clearance' for $150 - the remote and copies of David Bowie Serious Moonlight & Dolly Parton Live In London SQ encoded LaserDisc's were included for free! Fosgate had the 100 units completed, waiting for the Tate IC's to be delivered, for over 6 months - when Fosgate finished them, they offered Starship a really good deal on all remaining units - I was told, by Starship's owner, that he got them for $60 each) - Anyway, the 3606 was my first Logic decoder that was meant ONLY for Dolby MP Matrix decoding. I HATED it - it seemed, to me, to sound like a poorly adjusted Type-B Vario-Matrix circuit (the version of the Digital Servo Logic in the Peter Scheiber co-designed Digital Space Matrix Fosgate decoders was much more similar to the adaptive re-matrixing of the Sansui Vario-Matrix than to the Matrix Multiplication of the Tate DES and Pro-Logic systems). The unit had a tendency to 'breathe' quite often and seemed to overload easily with really dynamic material - like dbx encoded LP's and certain LaserDisc's with digital sound. Often, you could hear the logic working as a 'hiss' came and went. Plus, the logic only separated the L/R channels from the surround by 12db or so - so front-only panned sounds seemed to suddenly 'leak' allover and reduce the 'depth' of the room. I ended up sending the unit back to Fosgate twice and they ended up replacing it for a new one - I still have one of the letters from Charles Wood discussing the various issues I was having (he acknowledged them).

When The Perfect Vision tested the Fosgate 3608 I wasn't surprised to read that the reviewer, Dan Sweeney, had issues with the unit too - at the time Sweeney's preferred decoder was the non-Dolby licensed Aphex ESP-7000 (which was later licensed by Proton). A friend, R. Scott Varner, used a par (I believe it was a pair) of 3606's to derive side-channel speaker feeds in his surround system - akin to Surround EX, but using the decoders between front and back on either side instead of Left and Right Rear.

Much, much later, I got to hear the Citation Six-Axis decoder - that was impressive! It sounded damn near discrete and the unit even had a Six-Axis ENCODER built-in to encode AC-3 & DTS DVD's and LD's (or any discrete source) into 2 channel compatible Six-Axis surround! (I might be wrong but I think Lexicon has included Logic-7 Encoding capability in some units) Back to Six-Axis - when Pro-Logic II was announced, I thought it was just Six-Axis under the 'Dolby' name, but was surprised when I finally heard PL-II - it didn't sound nearly as good, to my ears, as Six-Axis did!

There was a huge "State of Logic Decoding" article in Widescreen Review back in the 90's - I think I might scan it and make a PDF for those here who are interested in reading it - Dan Sweeney compared the Fosgate 3A with Lexicon, Meridian, Kenwood, Audiosource, etc... all kinds of decoders - BTW, if you haven't read the article, the Fosgate Model 3A, hands down, won the shoot-out. The Aphex designed RatioMetric decoder in the Proton SD-1000 wasn't working right so no comparision was done between the VERY old Aphex Logic (which was a true Matrix Multiplier design) and the more modern Fosgate's, Logic-7's and Pro-Logic's.

One thing I wish I had was a early 80's CAT-150 Dolby Stereo decoder - the one that used the Tate DES IC's - all Dolby CAT-150 decoders before Revision "E" are of the Tate DES design - starting with "E", the Pro-Logic design became the standard. I'd love to be able to compare Tate-based Dolby decoding with Pro-Logic and other Logic systems - the Audionics Composer or Fosgate Tate 101A can't be used as a 'reference' for what the Dolby Tate's sounded like because Dolby modified the Tate's operation so heavily.

BTW, regarding your comment in "it's all what your ears hear" - you are 100% correct. For example, Peter Scheiber, the inventor of matrix surround encoding and Logic-based decoding, liked a VERY smooth soundfield and wasn't willing to put up with any audible logic action - he felt a decoder should be slower, with less separation to reduce any chance of audible anomalies. Jim Fosgate liked very high separation and very fast logic steering - even if noticeable logic action occurred once in a great while. Both men were aiming for the same end result - 360 imaging. But went about it very differently.

Hey everyone - I moved the above posts out of the Lou Dorren CD-4 demodulator thread so we could all talk SQ in a properly placed thread.

Now please, "continue".................. :D

Yeah, just because I P and Med about it in the demodulator thread doesn't mean I don't want to see matrix discussions.

It's all fascinating.

\:^)

Doug

Disclord, please feel free to scan and pdf the articles you mention. I am just an unworthy student sitting at your feet, asking questions....

Hey everyone - I moved the above posts out of the Lou Dorren CD-4 demodulator thread so we could all talk SQ in a properly placed thread.

Now please, "continue".................. :D

Thanks for moving it over. I don't know exactly "why" but I love matrix technology - unlike discrete, which just gives each channel its own track, matrix surround has to use all kinds of tricks to fool our ears/brains into thinking we are hearing four highly separated channels, when in reality, we are only hearing a single dominant sound at most times with all lower-level sounds reproduced in mono from all the other speakers - but under most circumstances, we don't hear the shifting and mono'ing of the dominant and sub-dominant sounds. It clearly works the vast majority of the time.

NTSC color television also fascinates me, and I think for the same reason - Composite NTSC color is a lossy matrix encoding system using amplitude and phase; the small details of the image (120 to 330 lines) are reproduced only in black and white, medium details (from 30 to 120 lines) are reproduced only in orange or cyan while large details (only 30 lines!) are reproduced in the full 3-color spectrum - yet to our eyes, it looks like we are seeing a full-bandwidth color image at all times! And in the 'real world' it's even worse than that - in the 50 year history of color television, only a handful could reproduce the medium-detail orange-cyan axis information - most threw it away and so had a total of only 30 lines of color. And that's how VHS/Beta worked too - only LaserDisc could hold a full-color bandwidth NTSC signal.

The shame with matrix quad is that each company wanted to get their system on the market first, so as to hopefully establish their format as THE quad standard. The engineering on the various formats was wonderful - the engineers really figured out how to reliably matrix 4 or more channels down to only 2 and knew, theoretically, how to retrieve it. But, they didn't look at the retrieval part too closely at first. In fact, some even claimed that, so what if their system wasn't accurate? It was cheap, and that's what mattered! Thankfully, that attitude died pretty quickly - and I really think that the quad market helped to improve stereo mixing techniques - I mean, stereo for the home had only been around something like 12 years and using 8-tracks and more for mastering had just begun - mixers/producers were still figuring out what 'worked' reliably in stereo when quad was thrust upon them... but wow, they really handled it - yes, there are some dogs in the various quad catalogs, but most quad stuff is just stunning when properly decoded. I think that the improvement in stereo mixing in general was just as important to the 'art' as the improvements to the LP that the CD-4 Quadradisc required - and in the same way, spilled over into 2-channel, giving listeners who didn't even own a 4 channel record a much better, quieter LP with less distortion and higher all-around fidelity. It also increased the quality of consumer electronics since the improvements/yields in IC's were driven by the needs of the advanced quad decoders. Didn't Lou Dorren state here on QQ that his Quadracast CD-4 IC was the most advanced IC ever made at the time?

BTW, we 'almost' got quadraphonic video in the 70's - A few years ago I got to interview a some of the inventors of LaserDisc at MCA DiscoVision and Philips/Magnavox and they told me that MCA had 4 channel sound on its list of features for their MCA DiscoVision LaserDisc's. Since it was a simple matter to add 2 additional FM audio carriers to the 2 already present, MCA felt that it should be there in the standard from the start - however, once they joined forces with Philips, the quad idea was dropped. Philips was modifying the LaserDisc standards into the Compact Disc and didn't want a video system potentially capable of hurting sales of their soon-to-be-released LP replacement.

Hi Ty,

It's always great to hear the back stories and politics behind all of the matrix designs. As you mentioned, the Perfect Vision, Stereophile, and the Cinema Laser would really do some facinating in-depth reviews of the various logic decoders and weigh the various pros and cons of each approach. Sadly, we now rarely see such reviews.

Have you had a chance to listen to some of the recent "Panorama Slicers", like Penteo or SPEC? How do they compare as far as image stability, artifacts, and separation go across the fronts? Sadly, it seems neither are configured yet to do sole ambience (out of phase) extraction for the surrounds so far...

Hi Ty,

It's always great to hear the back stories and politics behind all of the matrix designs. As you mentioned, the Perfect Vision, Stereophile, and the Cinema Laser would really do some facinating in-depth reviews of the various logic decoders and weigh the various pros and cons of each approach. Sadly, we now rarely see such reviews.

Have you had a chance to listen to some of the recent "Panorama Slicers", like Penteo or SPEC? How do they compare as far as image stability, artifacts, and separation go across the fronts? Sadly, it seems neither are configured yet to do sole ambience (out of phase) extraction for the surrounds so far...

I'm THRILLED to hear from you and to get your PM. With all the 3D Blu-ray going on and theatrical resurgence, I hear people talking about it and think to myself that you and I did it first - and sadly, I'm still coming across DVD's of my original 3D VHD discs. Am I the only person who imported 3D stuff from Japan??? I don't know if you've seen it or not, but Netflix has GOG available as a streaming film - it's not in 3D, but I was surprised they have it - I only know of it due to your superb work. And it's a fun little film to boot.

I don't know much about the Pento and stuff - I've tried reading up on the various Neural technologies but they are using 'new' terminology to mean 'old' things - I'm old-school - for example, to me "Upmixing" means deriving more channels than have been encoded, i.e. synthesized surround. But in the Neural use, it means DECODING a matrix-encoded signal. It never will for me. And they go on and on and on about capturing 'sonic events' and such instead of just coming out and saying they use multi-band logic steering with the decoding being directed by a computer signal buried in the music itself as a watermark. Nor are they doing "Position Encoding" or using quadrature networks in the decoder (oh, I mean "upmixer") so their stereo surround always has one rear channel out of phase with the other 3. They have an algorithm to sense when a correlated source is present and then automatically flip the phase of that channel, for that specific "auditory event" - but the rest of the time, it's out of phase. QS and SQ and RM all figured this out - and how to eliminate it - back in the early 70's!

With Pro-Logic II I am still unimpressed - I've heard many Dolby demo's that are encoded with the PL-II matrix and maybe it's just me, but I don't see it as any advance over Vario-Matrix or the Tate DES. I don't even think it's as good as Pro-Logic - it seems 'slower' and has more artifacts - yet PL-II uses a 5 millisecond digital look ahead in the direct audio path so the logic cancellation signals can be where they are supposed to be when the dominant sound reaches the output. But I still hear artifacts - as I've said in other posts, I'm totally in love with Shure's HTS-5300 Acra-Vector Logic decoder - I got a Shure Test CD today - the HTS5300CD - and it has music selections, test tones and set up signals - plus test tones to check phantom front positioning as well as logic dynamics attack/decay time and simultaneous dominant channels. I'm surprised Dolby or Fosgate never produced a test CD like this - the only other test recording I've seen that tests logic action is the CBS SQT-1100 SQ LP. It tests the logic dynamics too, plus the input AGC that keeps the logic working with low-level sounds. I plan to test the Shure 5300, Yamaha DSP-A1, Fosgate Tate II and Sony SQD-2020 with the Shure disc to see how they stack up against each other. I also have a Pioneer VSX-9300, which was the first receiver to have Pro-Logic (in a discrete circuit form, not an IC!) so I might drag that out and test it too. Dolby's changed Pro-Logic a few times since 1988 so it should be interesting to hear the differences.

I'll PM you tomorrow and post more here too.

I started writing this "History Of SQ" a few years ago for a website I was working on, but various things got me side-tracked. I've decided to start working on it again - but think I'll just 'publish' it here on QQ (if that's OK) as I write each section. This first post is what I've already written but I might go back at some point and re-write this. So, here it is - if anyone has any additional info or differing info, or questions, please don't hesitate to post or question what I've written because it should be obvious, I love discussing and debating this stuff.

I still have to upload the figures to Photobucket so I can place them in the article and correct the formatting - it was in Word originally. So, please bear with me as I put it together.

BTW, all my information comes from technical documents, press statements/releases, magazine articles and interviews as well as personal correspondence with some of those involved with the various systems.

____

Quadraphonic Beginnings

Although multichannel sound got its public start in the 1930’s, with Bell Lab’s 3-channel experiments and Walt Disney’s experimental Fantasound, it didn’t become practical until the advent of magentic tape and widescreen motion picture systems in the 1950’s. The term “stereo” itself means “solid” and makes no explicit reference to the number of channels present, although in modern usage most people understand it to mean 2 channel. For the home listener, the original stereo recordings of the 50’s were typically three tracks, Left, Center, Right, and it was only due to the LP’s inability to hold more than two tracks that limited stereo to two channels - and the disc format was an absolute requirement from a cost standpoint. The form multichannel stereo took in the 1970’s, that of Quadraphonic 4-Channel, got its start in 1968/69 when Vanguard Records publicly demonstrated some experimental four-channel ‘surround sound’ recordings on discrete 4-channel open-reel tape. Utilizing an extra pair of stereo speakers placed in the back corners of the room, Vanguard demonstrated both ambience-type recordings as well as ‘full-surround’ with instruments placed behind the listener. This setup, which became typical of Quad, was not based on any psychoacoustic research or scientific studies into how we hear directionality from behind and to the sides; no, the 2/2 front-back layout was used simply because it seemed the easiest to achieve in the home and was quick to implement. The press reports of this demonstration set off a huge amount of interest from both audiophiles and record companies and discrete-four-channel open reel tapes were soon offered to the public. Surprisingly, RCA Records, who was not known for being an innovator in the audio industry, quickly introduced the discrete Q8 cartridge format. It was based on the standard 8-track tape but with two of the four "programs" used for the back pair of channels - thus, playing time was cut in half unless double length tape was used. The Q8 format had severe drawbacks however; while it was a discrete format and did replicate the orignal four-channel performance, its fidelity aspects - in frequency response, dynamic range, signal-to-noise ratio, distortion and wow and flutter, were very poor. The Dolby B-Type noise reduction system, which had recently been introduced to consumers, was used to try and help lessen noise somewhat, but strangely, it was only applied to the front channels. Perhaps the biggest drawback of the Q8 cartridge was its incompatability with existing 8-track units; a listener with a standard 2-channel 8-Track player would hear only two of the channels from a Q8 cartridge. A discrete 4-4-4 'compatibility matrix' could have easily been used to make the Q8 format 100% stereo (and mono) compatible, but no one seems to have done this at the time. Because the Long Play record was the highest fidelity mass-produced consumer audio format then available, the record companies quickly looked for methods of delivering four channels of sound from the standard LP. At this same time, magazine articles started appearing about the so-called “Hafler” method of surround sound reproduction. By wiring a second set of speakers in a specific way with the main speakers, any out-of-phase, reverberant, information contained naturally in most two-channel recordings could be reproduced at the back of the room – giving an open, spacious surround-sound effect. Some recordings, especially those made with the Blumelin M-S microphone technique, naturally captured a large amount of reverberant information that could be beautifully reproduced from the Hafler speaker array. The Hafler array could be fatiguing to listen to in the long run though due to the misaligned phase relationships between the front and back speakers. However, the seed had been planted and this started engineers and inventors down the path of what would soon come to be known as Matrixing.

The first inventor to take advantage of this new field of signal-conversion theory was Peter Scheiber, and he filed the earliest patents for matrix encoding/decoding methods in 1970. His patents contained something truly new however - an extra circuit that monitored channel dominance and altered the output amplifier gains to enhance that directionality of the dominant signal. His first patent was for what is now known as the ‘diamond’ layout and Dolby's MP Matrix (Dolby Surround) was originally licensed under this patent. (As a side-note, all the original Scheiber/CBS/Sansui/Tate patents are now expired) In Scheiber's diamond layout, speakers were placed to the right and left of the listener and in front of and behind, making the speaker assignment Left Side, Center-Front, Right Side, Center-Back. This was strictly a polarity matrix, with no phase encoding being used; Left and Right were the normal stereo channels, while Center was the sum of left and right and Center-Back was the reversed polarity difference between left and right. Channel separation was quite poor – Left/Right and Center/Surround both offered infinite separation, but between L/C/R or L/S/R, separation was only 3db, which is akin to no separation at all. As mentioned, Scheiber used a gain-riding enhancement system that could transfer output power between diagonal pairs of speakers - in other words, it increased signal levels in the wanted channel by +3db while, at the same time, decreasing levels in the unwanted channels - by using a Log/Ratio detector he hoped to measure the separation needed in actual db and thereby alter gain to maintain total output power in the room so that a listener would never hear the individual channels level ramping up and down - this was never achieved. A short time later he filed a patent with the more standard ‘square’ speaker layout – this became known as the Scheiber “Square Resistive Matrix” and like the Diamond Matrix, no phase encoding was used, only channel blending, reverse polarity signals and amplitude (level) differences. Sansui's QS Matrix was a variation of the Square Resistive Matrix and Sansui was the first company to enter into a matrix encoding/decoding license agreement with Peter Scheiber. CBS licensing of Scheiber's patents soon followed, although CBS felt that their SQ matrix was both distinct from Scheiber's and non-obvious; the patent office felt otherwise, saying that Scheiber's original engineering work and patent claims were so good that they encompassed virtually every modification of the technology that could be thought of. A lot of people would be owing Peter Scheiber a lot of money in licensing fees! (for various reasons however, that never happened)

From Scheiber's original idea and early work sprang the Quadraphonic matrix systems of the 70’s and the Surround Sound motion picture & music systems of today. The most notable systems were: QS of Sansui, RM-Regular Matrix, Electro-Voice EV-4, Hafler DynaQuad, BBC Matrix-H, Michael Gerzon's Matrix-45J, Denon’s UMX, NRDC’s UHJ, SRS Labs Circle Surround, Dolby Lab’s MP-Matrix, Lexicon Logic-7, Shure Stereosurround and many, many others. But the most successful, compatible and well-known four-channel matrix system of the 1970’s was CBS Labs SQ Matrix, which stood for Stereo-Quadraphonic.

CBS Labs – 4-Channel Sound From A 2-Channel Record.

In 1969, Columbia Records was one of America’s largest record companies and their research arm, CBS Labs, one of the worlds preeminent electronics laboratories . From CBS Labs came the 33.3 Long Playing (LP) Microgroove record, the Field-Sequential Color Television System, EVR-Electronic Video Recording, CX Noise Reduction, FMX and numerous other consumer products. Once Columbia was aware of the Vanguard quadraphonic demonstrations, they knew they had to have their own quad system for LP. Not just for use by their own artists, but something they could license to bring a continuing royalty. In the early 70’s, unlike today, most American entertainment companies had their own research divisions to create new products, so instead of looking at outside quadraphonic systems, Columbia directed their top audio researcher, Dr. Benjamin B. Bauer, to take on the task of creating a four-channel LP system.
Ben Bauer had been interested in recording more than two channels of sound on a standard LP for some time and his first work was directed at the so-called “carrier” type disc. The back channels of the quadraphonic recording could be modulated on pair of high-frequency AM carriers. But while this might provide the four separate channels desired, CBS felt it would involve extensive modifications of the entire LP recording/pressing process and demand expensive, precision playback equipment in a consumers home. Worse, since the modulation itself would take up physical space on the record, playing time and fidelity would be reduced. Finally, a discrete carrier-type LP system was incompatible with FM broadcasting techniques. Columbia would only sponsor a quad system that was fully compatible with all existing playback formats, was low in cost and didn’t complicate record production, so, the discrete-carrier quadraphonic LP was quickly set aside in favor of the new, and cutting-edge, "matrix" theories of audio signal conversion.

Before beginning work on the matrix systems, Ben Bauer and his co-inventors, Dan Gravereaux and Authur Gust, came up with a list of performance characteristics they and CBS felt a successful quadraphonic system should include:
1. High fidelity – the system should not lower fidelity or decrease playing time. Full LP performance standards must be maintained.
2. Compatibility – the quadraphonic recording must be playable in mono or stereo, with full and complete reproduction of all sounds encoded on the record. In stereo or mono playback, the consumer should not be aware that he is listening to anything but a normal recording: this would lower costs by facilitating single-inventory release.
3. Full left-to-right separation must be maintained. Both in stereo and quadraphonic playback.
4. Quadraphonic accuracy: The system should provide full and accurate 360° directionality with all sounds reproduced at the same level and phase and from the same direction they were originally recorded, even if the localization was somewhat blurred and 'close' to the listener.
5. Simple or advanced decoding – low-cost decoders should deliver correct directionality (even if somewhat diffuse) while more expensive decoders should deliver a precise representation of the master tape. Thus, the signal encoding should be as such to provide the maximum amount of information about the soundfield and prevent phase or amplitude relationships from occuring that would confuse an advanced decoder.

Ben Bauer’s first matrix system was the diamond layout, essentially the same as Peter Scheiber’s first patent. An attempt was made to provide Center-Back transmission in mono reproduction by applying large phase shifts (+ or - 135°) to the Cb component in the LT/RT channels and a more sophisticated form of logic control was patented with it. However, the diamond matrix was never seriously tested and was quickly abandoned because it did not provide the ‘square’ of speakers required for a commercial four-channel system. Ben Bauer also felt that listeners would be uncomfortable with sounds coming from directly behind them.

New Orleans Code #1 & #2

The so-called New Orleans Code, named because Ben Bauer developed it while visiting New Orleans, was attempt to provide a matrix capable of monophonic transmission and correct decoding of Center Back signals with full stereo compatibility and directional fidelity. It used Scheiber’s ‘Square-Resistive’ encoding equations but augmented them with quadrature (90°) phase shifts between the signal components. The encoding equations were:

LT = 0.92Lf + 0.38ej90°Rf + 0.92Lb + 0.38e-j90°Rb.
RT = 0.38e-j90°Lf + 0.92Rf + 0.38ej90°Lb + 0.92Rb

This was New Orleans Code #1 and had the desired features of monophonic compatability and 360° directional fidelity. Since the signal components in LT and RT were in quadrature and Cf and Cb had 45° phase angles, Lf, Rf, Rb and Lb were all transmitted at the same level in mono or stereo; Center Left and Center Right (Cl-Cr) were increased 2.8db in mono, while Cf and Cb were augmented by 3db in mono; thus in terms of mono compatibility, the New Orleans Code #1 was satisfactory. When decoded via a simple matrix, separation between channels was 3db with diagonally opposite channels producing no output. If signal-adaptive (Logic) decoding were implemented, the New Orleans Code would require side-to-side and front-to-back enhancement. Side-to-side enhancement is undesirable since we are most sensitive to stereo image shifts when they occur from left to right; we are less sensitive, by a factor of 10, to front-to-back shifts. Therefore, any logic action should be on the front-to-back axis.
In Bauer’s early work with matrix coding, the New Orleans Code #1 was exhaustively tested and given serious consideration due to some of its desirable characteristics. While its front channel separation was only -7.7db in stereo playback, the corresponding LT and RT signals were in quadrature which made the limited separation less audible than if they had an in-phase relationship. However, the Cf signal components were at a 45° phase angle which caused spreading of the Center-Front image. That problem was remedied with New Orleans Code #2.
Bauer and his co-workers felt they were on to something good with the New Orleans code, so in an effort to fix the problems of the #1 Code, a second New Orleans Code (#2) was devised and tested. The #2 encoding equations were:

LT = 0.92e-j22.5°Lf + 0.38ej67.5°Rf + 0.92e-j22.5°Lb + 0.38e-112.5°Rb
RT = 0.38e-j67.5°Lf +0.92ej22.5°Rf + 0.38ej112.5°Lb + 0.92ej22.5°Rb

The new #2 code had the same –7.7db seperation in stereo as Code #1, but undesirably, this was more audible due to the fact that LT and RT had a 45° phase relationship to each other. Cf imaging was improved with a 0° phase shift, while Cb was at 90° and, in mono, reduced by only –1.7db. Unfortunately the improved Center-Front phantom imaging came at a price: Lb and Rb were reduced by -4.8db in mono. As a result, New Orleans Code #2 was judged different, but no better than, Code #1.
The combined defects of poor Center-Front imaging, limited stereo compatability, reduced rear channel transmission in mono and undesirable adjacent channel crosstalk caused Ben Bauer to set aside the New Orleans codes in favor of the Stereo-Quadraphonic (SQ) code.

The SQ 4:2:4 Stereo-Quadraphonic Matrix

The SQ Matrix came about by abiding strictly to the list of desired features for a compatible matrix quadraphonic system. Because the front channels were obviously the most important (assuming a forward-facing listener) and would be required to present the main stage in stereo playback, it was decided to encode all front sounds in precisely the same way as standard stereo with no phase shifts or cross-blending between Lf and Rf. Center-Front would then image sharply in stereo or quadraphonic playback and increase by +3db in mono, which again, is exactly the same as standard stereo. The back channels would be encoded with broadband 90° phase shifts. Thus, the CBS SQ Code used Left-to-Right amplitude differences for encoding the front channels and used the phase-space between Left and Right to encode the back channels; hence, the name Stereo-Quadraphonic, or SQ. The resulting SQ 4/2, also known as “Basic SQ,” encoding equations were:

LT = Lf + 0.71Lb + 0.71e-j90°Rb
RT = Rf + 0.71e-j90°Lb + 0.71Rb

Ben Bauer depicted SQ encoding and decoding by using “phasors”, or vectors (arrows), which show both the amplitude and the phase of the coded signals. For a reference, or 0° phase, a vector will point to the right and move counterclockwise for leading phase – i.e., a phasor pointing up will have a leading 90° phase shift relative to one pointing to the right. A –3db level reduction is seen as a phasor that is 75% as long when compared to a full-amplitude phasor.
Fig-1.jpg

As can be seen from the Basic SQ phasors shown in Fig. 1, the (a) Left Total (LT) channel contains:

1. The Left Front signal recorded at reference level (1.0) and 0° reference phase.
2. The Left Back signal recorded at –3db relative level (.707) and -90° relative phase.
3. The Right Back signal recorded at -3db relative level and 0° relative phase.

The (b) Right Total (RT) channel contains:

1. The Right Front signal recorded at reference level and 0° reference phase.
2. The Right Back signal at –3db reference level and +90° relative phase.
3. The Left Back signal recorded at –3db reference level and 180° relative phase.

Notice that Left Front appears only in Left Total and Right Front appears only in Right Total. Left Back and Right Back appear in both LT and RT at equal levels with a –3db reduction but in leading or lagging quadrature (90°) relationships to each other. This simple phase-only encoding ensured the 360° directional fidelity that Ben Bauer desired and was the foundation of the SQ system with the first demonstration records and commercial releases encoded using these equations. If reproduced in stereo, the SQ-to-Stereo channel-fold would appear (image) to the listener like this:
Fig-2.jpg

Left Front, Center-Front and Right Front appear in exactly the same positions as they would during quadraphonic playback – and, they are precisely in-phase; any sounds panned between them will stay in phase and, as a result, image clearly; no other matrix quadraphonic system shared this attribute. Left Back and Right Back image near the center line of the stereo array, but because they share leading and lagging quadrature relationships, have an audible sense of separation and appear displaced slightly towards the leading channel. The minor spreading of their respective images suggests distance, helping the stereo listener to differentiate the front channel sounds from the back channels. Center Back is 180° out-of-phase and thus, has no definite image, making it appear separate from the front-channel sounds; it dissapears completely in mono. Center Left and Center Right are not components of the Basic SQ modulations and will be dealt with later in this article. Notice, however, that a full 75% of the phase-space between the Left and Right channels has been given to the side (Cl-Cr) and back (Lb-Rb) channels – this mimicks the real life distribution of ambience in a concert hall, where the total sound energy typically consists of up to 75% reverberant sounds. Tests by the National Quadraphonic Radio Committtee found that SQ had the best quad-to-stereo fold of any matrix or discrete system tested and thus, the best compatability.

SQ Matrix Decoding

The first SQ decoders were straightforward inversions of the encoding process – a simple SQ decoder block diagram (Fig.3) looks like this.
Fig-3.jpg

CBS encoders and prototype consumer decoders used precision aligned 10-Pole phase shift networks that were accurate +1° over a 20-20kHz bandwidth. This was required because accurate SQ encoding and decoding can only occur over the bandwidth of the phase shifting. Such precise performance was not to be found in consumer decoding equipment – which will be dealt with later. The results of a basic SQ decoder, again displayed as phasors, are shown in Fig. 4.
Fig-4.jpg

As can be seen, each of the resulting four signals contains a mixture of three of the original four signals, with one being dominant. In both the front and back pairs of channels, Left and Right are completely separated from each other. Offsetting this excellent side-to-side separation is the front-to-back contamination of the originally discrete signal components, and is quite severe. With such signal contamination, or crosstalk, a basic SQ decoder gives the separation shown in Fig.5.
Fig-5.jpg

The 20db noted between the Left and Right pairs is actually infinite, but was limited by the LP/cartridge combination, which was typically 20db. The worst seperation occurs between Center-Front and Center-Back, where it is effectively 0db; center placed vocalists will appear to come from overhead in the center of the room. Nevertheless, CBS discovered that if a lister was positioned in exactly the center of the speaker array, they quickly learned to properly localise the various sounds. In addition, Ben Bauer felt that most quadraphonic recordings would be of the “ambience” type where such reduced separation was not of much consiquence – at least in classical recordings. In CBS’ experiments with matrix decoding, many listeners expressed the feeling that the basic SQ matrix was successful in retaining directional fidelity but with an apparent ‘shrinking’ of the room towards the listener.

To Market: Introducing The CBS SQ Quadraphonic System

Ben Bauer, CBS Labs and Columbia Records officially introduced the SQ Matrix system on June 10, 1971 in Montreux, Switzerland. At the same time, external SQ decoders, from CBS’ equipment division Masterworks, Sony and others, were released to the public as well as 100 SQ encoded albums. The first AES Paper, titled “A Compatible Stereo-Quadraphonic (SQ) Record System” appeared in the September, 1971 issue of the Journal of the AES. Ad’s from CBS trumpeted the system as the “perfect” matrix, needing no improvement – they claimed “full” separation, without noting they meant only side-to-side separation. Causing further confusion, instead of talking about the system in terms of actual signal components, they referred to SQ as encoding horizontal, vertical and two kinds of helical modulations on an LP record, giving the impression that discrete signals were present and could be recovered from an SQ disc.
Almost immediately, complaints from customers and reviewers started coming in – there wasn’t much surround-sound effect, in fact, the system sounded just like double-stereo. The decoded crosstalk signals and their various phase shifts coming from every speaker also caused severe listening fatigue. These defects had been noticed during development, and even before the public launch Ben Bauer had decided that perhaps some of the side-to-side separation, which had at first seemed so important, might be sacrificed slightly in favor of more front-to-back separation. The solution came from decoder work done on the New Orleans code – a slight crossblend between output channels in the SQ decoder. Left and Right Front would be blended by 10%, reducing the technically infinite separation to no more than 20db (which wasn’t any kind of drawback,); the back L/R channels would be blended together by 40%, again reducing their separation from infinite to a mere 8db. This decoding modification increased Center-Front to Center-Back separation from 0db to 6db. While not impressive, it did at least provide for a slightly more audible surround-sound effect. The 10-40 blend, as it came to be called, quickly replaced the straight decoding in low priced SQ decoders. In fact, very, very few SQ decoders ever used the basic matrix with no cross-channel blending.
Even with the 10-40 Blend, because of poorly engineered and spec’d equipment, consumers were still not experiencing good SQ decoding results. In the early 1970’s, the so-called “consumer movement” had not yet started and most consumer electronics manufacturers didn’t feel a need to make particularly accurate decoders. 10% tolerance resistors and sloppy 3-Pole phase shifters lead to licensed decoders with 20° phase errors, 5db channel imbalances and appalling frequency response, all of which caused havoc with the precisely encoded SQ records and their necessity for accurate decoding. For unknown reasons, CBS allowed 20° phase errors in licensed decoders and only called for a minimum of 2-pole phase shifting. If a licensee asked for technical help, CBS was always there to provide it, but the final design, specs and performance of the SQ decoder was left up to the individual manufacturer. This lead a small American company called Audionics of Oregon (in partnership with TATE Audio, Ltd.) to create an “audiophile” SQ decoder using accurate 6-pole phase shifters, which produced improved decoding quality.
Another difficulty with the decoders was a lack of any sort of input balance/level control to compensate for misaligned phono cartridges. CBS never even mentioned that it was a problem, stating that ANY stereo phonograph system was good enough to playback SQ encoded albums. Due to the inherent limitations of the LP system in maintaining phase and amplitude alignment, precise stylus and tonearm calibration were required – no public discussion of this ever took place, not even in consumer publications like Stereo Review or High-Fidelity.

Last edited:
Disclord, thank you for sharing your great knowledge and posting the "history" of SQ. It makes fascinating reading.

I must say that I share your preference for SQ over the other Quad encoding systems (even CD-4, if only because its cutoff at 20K which to me is its major drawback) and am also fascinated by matrix encoding.

CHeers and keep up the great work!

Disclord, thank you for sharing and educating us. I am learning a lot from your posts and am following your reccomendations. Not yet ready to buy black tennis shoes and move into a communal house in San Diego, but getting close! (Referring to a UFO cult a number of years ago that ended up committing mass suicide beleiving this was the way to board the flying saucers)

I'm THRILLED to hear from you and to get your PM. With all the 3D Blu-ray going on and theatrical resurgence, I hear people talking about it and think to myself that you and I did it first -

The recent wave of 3-D reminds me a lot of multi-channel sound. Everything is always "new and improved", but in reality, very little of "the basics" have changed at all. And of course, for the giant promotional machines pushing it all, to make the "new" stuff appear to be even better, it also helps to smear the previous attempts. If I had a penny for everytime someone knocked those "poorly mixed quad recordings" or "red/blue 1950's 3D movies" (both outright crap and lies) I'd be rich!!

Given 3-D is a bit off topic here, I'll end it with this link:
http://www.3dfilmpf.org/info-top-10-3D-myths.html

I don't know much about the Pento and stuff - I've tried reading up on the various Neural technologies but they are using 'new' terminology to mean 'old' things -

TOTALLY agree. Specs on decoding (distortion, static separation, dynamic separation, noise, etc) all are now essentially nonexistent. That Shure test CD sounds like gold though. And we certainly need more torture test material, to help weed out the bad apples.

With Pro-Logic II I am still unimpressed - I've heard many Dolby demo's that are encoded with the PL-II matrix and maybe it's just me, but I don't see it as any advance over Vario-Matrix or the Tate DES. I don't even think it's as good as Pro-Logic - it seems 'slower' and has more artifacts - yet PL-II uses a 5 millisecond digital look ahead in the direct audio path so the logic cancellation signals can be where they are supposed to be when the dominant sound reaches the output. But I still hear artifacts -

Yes- Thank you!! When I bought a new receiver and finally had Dolby Pro-Logic II and DTS Neo6, I was shocked to discover it was DPL-2 that had problems with a widely spaced stereo image. DTS-Neo6 was far more stable. I later had different Neo6 and DPL-2 decoding via PowerDVD playback on a PC, but Neo6 sounded a tad different. It sounds like DTS have continued to tweak. Dolby may have tweaked DPL-2 as well, but it still has artifacts. The best example so far is Buffalo Springfield's "For What it's Worth". The rears just pump away.

as I've said in other posts, I'm totally in love with Shure's HTS-5300 Acra-Vector Logic decoder - I got a Shure Test CD today - the HTS5300CD - and it has music selections, test tones and set up signals - plus test tones to check phantom front positioning as well as logic dynamics attack/decay time and simultaneous dominant channels.

I've heard nothing but good about the HTS5300. Didn't Acra-Vector do multi-band decoding, somewhat like DTS Neo6? Then again, I could be remembering wrong...

Back