• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Newbie seeking SQ stylus

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdr5q

I'm fairly acquainted with the realm of quad 8 tracks, but am just now branching out into LPs--I had no idea of the complexities involved! (Makes 8 tracks seem almost boring...) Anyway, I have a Sansui direct drive (model FR-5080) and am primarily looking for an SQ stylus, since I listen primarily to classical music, and this appears to be the encoding method of choice, at least for Angel/EMI, which appear to have put a lot of good material out. Short of going to Bluz Bros. and forking over $200, anyone have a stylus for sale?

jdr5q said:
I'm fairly acquainted with the realm of quad 8 tracks, but am just now branching out into LPs--I had no idea of the complexities involved! (Makes 8 tracks seem almost boring...) Anyway, I have a Sansui direct drive (model FR-5080) and am primarily looking for an SQ stylus, since I listen primarily to classical music, and this appears to be the encoding method of choice, at least for Angel/EMI, which appear to have put a lot of good material out. Short of going to Bluz Bros. and forking over $200, anyone have a stylus for sale?

You don't need any special equipment (cartridge or otherwise) to play back SQ LPs. My preference is Ortofon or Audio Technica, and Nagaoka and Goldring are pretty decent also. I am not sure what mounting your tonearm needs, since I am not familiar with your turntable, but there are lots of decent Audio Technica units on eBay all the time. I bought a 1/2 inch mount AT130E (that seems to work quite well with CD-4 LPs also) for less than US$30 a bit ago. Good luck, and welcome to our little slice of paradise. Mike.

Quadzilla said:
You don't need any special equipment (cartridge or otherwise) to play back SQ LPs. My preference is Ortofon or Audio Technica, and Nagaoka and Goldring are pretty decent also. I am not sure what mounting your tonearm needs, since I am not familiar with your turntable, but there are lots of decent Audio Technica units on eBay all the time. I bought a 1/2 inch mount AT130E (that seems to work quite well with CD-4 LPs also) for less than US$30 a bit ago. Good luck, and welcome to our little slice of paradise. Mike.

Wow, am I out of my league. When you say "mount"--does this mean a component to the stylus, or cartridge? What does one use as search terms on eBay? If I feed out of the turntable into my 8 track player, I should reproduce the 4 channel effect, right?--by saying I don't need any special equipment, you mean I can keep the standard cartridge *and* needle? Excuse the ignorance...with 8 tracks all 'ya do is stick it in the slot....

jdr5q said:
Wow, am I out of my league. When you say "mount"--does this mean a component to the stylus, or cartridge? What does one use as search terms on eBay? If I feed out of the turntable into my 8 track player, I should reproduce the 4 channel effect, right?--by saying I don't need any special equipment, you mean I can keep the standard cartridge *and* needle? Excuse the ignorance...with 8 tracks all 'ya do is stick it in the slot....

Do a few searches in this forum to see what is required to play quad LPs. In short, your 8-track player is not likely to be much help to you. There is a LOT of good info here, and I am just not sure where to start. As for the cartridge "mounting", is there a headshell that plugs into the end of the tonearm with a round collar on the end that you tighten, or is there one tiny screw that holds it in place? What shape is the tonearm? Straight? S-shaped? If you could post a picture, that would help.

Quadzilla said:
Do a few searches in this forum to see what is required to play quad LPs. In short, your 8-track player is not likely to be much help to you. There is a LOT of good info here, and I am just not sure where to start. As for the cartridge "mounting", is there a headshell that plugs into the end of the tonearm with a round collar on the end that you tighten, or is there one tiny screw that holds it in place? What shape is the tonearm? Straight? S-shaped? If you could post a picture, that would help.

I do know what I'm up against in terms of decoders/amps--but my understanding is that some 8T units with internal amps can power turntables? I've received differing opinions on this...I'm attaching a photo.....the cartridge is a Pickering "TLE"

Attachments

• 000_0555.JPG
    000_0555.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 000_0560.JPG
    000_0560.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 102
jdr5q said:
I do know what I'm up against in terms of decoders/amps--but my understanding is that some 8T units with internal amps can power turntables? I've received differing opinions on this...I'm attaching a photo.....the cartridge is a Pickering "TLE"

Your Pickering "TLE" will do a fine job playing "SQ" albums. No need for another cartridge/stylus for "SQ" or "QS" albums.

jdr5q said:
If I feed out of the turntable into my 8 track player, I should reproduce the 4 channel effect, right?--

Does your 8 track player have "PHONO" inputs? Does it have an "SQ" decoder built in, in order to decode the rear channels?

Back