Nightfly trilogy

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that the press release mentions DTS 5.1 tracks. I sure hope we get DTS since we won't be getting true DVD-A. (And make it full-rate DTS, please!) I still want to see someone who has actually tried the discs to confirm the DTS part, though. These MVI albums have been only Dolby Digital for the surround sound (for those that have it), if I'm not mistaken???? Not that I've followed things closely other than the Rush MVI release.

So far not a single MVI has had anything apart from DD Surround.
Stereoheads get 24/96, we get MP3 equivalent.
Great!

The Goucho SACD is one of the best SACD's ever released. While I can play the DTS tracks on my home and car players, I would have loved for these to have been made available as multi-channel SACD disks. Although I love the DVD-A disks, they are not any where as easy for me to navigate through, especially in my car. [Sony MEX-DV2000]. Still, now that no new DVD-A or SACD versions are being discussed for release I will have to track down the rest of the DVD-A multi-tracks. I just love well produced high resolution multi-track music.

Richard

Just got my copy today!

Everything is great! If you own the original DVD-Audio releases, all these are upgrades! No dualdisc either!

Good stuff. $52.99 @ Best Buy!

Wait. I was wrong. Keep those dvd-a's! Theres only stereo advanced resolution and thats on the dvd-video tracks! The only thing that is missing on these are the advanced resolution 5.1 mixes, and there is no dvd-audio layer, only dvd-v, so that is bad!

The dts track on "morph the cat" sounds very wired. Anybody else's copy sound bad?

Not good. I retract my statement from above.

I don't like the sound of your initial impression. I knew these were going to be DTS, but I've heard plenty of DTS mixes that I've thought were decent enough. I was half-ways planning on buying this MVI simply because I don't have any of the original DVD-Audios. How do "Kamakiriad" and "Nightfly" sound in DTS? I'd hate to do it, but I could always buy the MVI for those two alone. If it turns out that I liked the ongs on "Morph", then I could still buy the DVD-A.

I don't like the sound of your initial impression. I knew these were going to be DTS, but I've heard plenty of DTS mixes that I've thought were decent enough. I was half-ways planning on buying this MVI simply because I don't have any of the original DVD-Audios. How do "Kamakiriad" and "Nightfly" sound in DTS? I'd hate to do it, but I could always buy the MVI for those two alone. If it turns out that I liked the ongs on "Morph", then I could still buy the DVD-A.

"Kamakiriad" on DVD-A is nearly impossible to find now. The "Nightfly" DualDisc with DVD-A was still available at Music for a Song, an outlet mall music seller, the last time I stopped at their store in Branson a few weeks ago. The affiliated Music for Less outlet store could have it as well. Not too long ago, Music for a Song had several hundred for sale online at around $15.50 delivered but I couldn't find it recently. I haven't listened to the lossy surround versions on my three DVD-A's to offer an opinion compared to the MLP.

Chris

I bought a copy of The Nightfly Trilogy (Please see my review on Amazon UK under the name of UK Deadhead) ... What a disappointment!

The fourth disc is a set of outtakes and live tracks that are pretty good. You realise that Fagen discards tracks that others would strive to achieve.

The CDs sound as if they haven't been remastered in any way and the packaging is dire. You don't even get to find out who's playing on the tracks. There's no accompanying book. The sound on the MVIs is poor (Haven't played 'Morph The Cat' yet)

I have been waiting for this box set for months and now that it's here it's a big letdown. Thankfully I already have the original DVD-A discs of 'The Nightfly' and 'Morph The Cat' ... They sound great! Just got to track me down a DVD-A 'Kamakiriad' at a reasonable price.

My advice would be to save your money and seek out the original DVD-A releases.

Back