OLED TV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, I cannot believe my 65" Samsung, now about 7 years old is starting to act up,
7 years seems a little short?
I really don't want to buy another TV, and I won't, I am going to look thru the haze as long as I can.

Seven years is about all you can expect today. The technology is moving too fast. My 2011 70” still worked fine eight years later, but it had fallen so far behind the times it wasn’t worth keeping. Donated it to Vietnam Vets of America — remote, manual and all.

it’s time to buy a new screen. Don’t be stubborn — you got your money’s worth. You’ll be thrilled by a new screen with much higher quality.

Next time, don’t buy a Samsung.

Ugh, I cannot believe my 65" Samsung, now about 7 years old is starting to act up, I have been down this road before. A few days ago I noticed at times the screen was less bright, I thought maybe I bumped a setting button accidentally and then this morning I turned on and screen completely goofed up, turned off and turned on and back to normal. As I said been down this slow torture road of TV on it's way out.
I really don't want to buy another TV, and I won't, I am going to look thru the haze as long as I can.

I hear ya, Markie. My 4 year old Curved LG 3D 55" OLED in my bedroom has developed a very LOUD weird metallic Clanging sound which jumps from front to rear speakers and frankly is startling [even my cat jumps....but she's a REAL pussy anyway]. At first I thought it was my FIOS signal, then my receiver acting up but if I turn the TV off then on again, that clanging sound disappears. Picture is absolutely fine. This is one strange anomaly to pinpoint. And it doesn't manifest itself while watching a BD~V/4K disc from my OPPO 205.

Since ALL the latest Flatscreens don't feature 3D and I have well over 100 3D BD~Vs, I'm just mentally chalking this up to a GHOST IN THE MACHINE!

See the source image

Last edited:
I hear ya, Markie. My 4 year old Curved LG 3D 55" OLED in my bedroom has developed a very weird metallic Clanging sound which jumps from front to rear speakers and frankly is alarming. At first I thought it was my FIOS signal, then my receiver acting up but if I turn the TV off then on again, that clanging sound disappears. Picture is absolutely fine. This is one strange anomaly to pinpoint.

Since ALL the latest Flatscreens don't feature 3D and I have well over 100 3D BD~Vs, I'm just mentally chalking this up to a GHOST IN THE MACHINE!

See the source image
Might want to check for any cable cross interference. I had that happen to my ROKU Stick power line that had (🤧 accidentally) been laid on my AVR, it created an occasional pop in the sound until I moved it.

Also wanted to ask you Ralphie; if you think the coming Avatar movies from Cameron will be in 3D like the original, and since 3D seems to well on the way out?

Might want to check for any cable cross interference. I had that happen to my ROKU Stick power line that had (🤧 accidentally) been laid on my AVR, it created an occasional pop in the sound until I moved it.

Also wanted to ask you Ralphie; if you think the coming Avatar movies from Cameron will be in 3D like the original, and since 3D seems to well on the way out?

I thought of that, JP [the cable situation]. Will have to do some jiggering/inspection of my HDMIs.

Regarding Cameron's Avatar [SEQUEL] ....I'm sure they'll offer 3D. The US video companies have basically stopped making 3D BD~Vs except for a few esoteric companies like Kino Lorber ....but they are still being manufactured in Europe....albeit at a trickle.

Not that I loved the movie [it was OK] but I just scored SHAZAM in UHD4K and 3D with a BD~V for about $25!
81Qc4xzjBIL._SL1500_.jpg

My Sammie 8500 series plasma croaked after 8 years. Nice TV but not worth fixing so just picked up a TCL Series 8 65". Best Buy now clearing out the 2019 models. Reviews looked good and I got a geek squad 5 year warranty for the price of the three.

Regarding the AVATAR sequels, JP:

https://movieweb.com/avatar-2-3d-te... 5 are all,Here's what he had to say about it.

Cameron even claims that Avatar 3 will be GLASSES FREE 3D......Wonder how he'll pull that off.

TVs and other appliances are breaking down because people want to buy cheap. They think with a short time mindset and don't think that they will have to replace it in 5 years. I would rather pay more myself not because of the money, but because of the trouble to replace it and a little bit for environmental purposes. And I realize the poor quality of some small TVs for the sound, compare to my bigger TV, the sound is so thin

I
Ugh, I cannot believe my 65" Samsung, now about 7 years old is starting to act up, I have been down this road before. A few days ago I noticed at times the screen was less bright, I thought maybe I bumped a setting button accidentally and then this morning I turned on and screen completely goofed up, turned off and turned on and back to normal. As I said been down this slow torture road of TV on it's way out.
I had a 64 inch samsung plasma that went "bang" one night then stopped .Samsung 's response was along the lines of ,buy our new model, too expensive to fix your out of warranty set.
well I found out that as the plasma wears down in brightness it draws more current from the power supply, and stresses the (close to the limit) value of the capcitors, till they blow...(in short if the capcitors are ok in value when the screen is new, but underrated when the screen wears down)
The solution was a new board from the Uk where samsung spare parts were easy to find....with increased value caps added in
at the time, it cost all up including labour $400 which (at that time) was preferable to spending close to 2k on something similar..debatable these days as to whether to go ahead, but I must say that 4 years on , it's still working.

Yeah, too bad TV's have become essentially throwaways.

Actually, I think it’s great.
That’s why high-quality displays are so cheap.
They’re not built to last forever because there’s no need.
They cost a fraction of what they used to and the tech changes quick.

Would you really rather return to the days when they were built to last? How about 1954, when the first (piece of crap) RCA color TV was $1000? That’s $9,665 in today’s money. It was built like a house (and nearly cost one), but offered, as one wag said, “low quality at a high price.” The cheapest 4K I can find now is about $500, so we‘re talking almost one twentieth the cost.

Per pixel they’re even cheaper — exponentially so. A 4K TV has 52 times the pixels (8,294,400 vs 158,400). Combining with the much lower (real) price, we get that the cheapest 4K today — adjusted for inflation and quality — is over 1000 times cheaper.

I think that’s something to celebrate.

Back