Opinions, please - which to keep as I downsize to one quad system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadgirl

Since 2002/2003
Hello friends!

I have a probably pretty oddball question, but it is a true and strange dilemma. I am blessed to have a Sansui 9001 that’s been restored. I am also blessed to have an unrestored Marantz 4400 with the SQA 2B card, and even its hardwired remote, which I don’t really use, but love having. So recently I switched out the 9001 to play the Marantz more. Hence the need to downsize – I can only play one system at a time and really don’t have that much space. So I’m just keeping one quad system with an extra Q8 deck and an extra demodulator. I have the techniques SH- 400 demodulator as well as the Marantz one and I will periodically switch them out. I also have my favorite turntable to Marantz 6300 with an AT20SS cart. So here’s the deal:

I actually feel like I love the sound of the Marantz in it’s on restored state. Now there’s probably one bulb out or something, but may be just dim. I have heard some people have the opinion that once you restore them it changes the sound and I don’t want to invest in restoring it while I have a perfectly restored 9001. But I will consider that and it may be the answer. I am wide open as to what course of action to take. However I guess that could muddy the water and increase options.

Knowing that the 9001 should operate well for a long time to come, but also knowing the Marantz may or may not do the same, in its current state of never being touched by restoration, if this were your situation or if you’ve been through similar, which would you choose to keep? And more importantly, why?

And other relevant information is that I definitely know that Jim Showker’s family is carrying on and should be a ready reference for any future needs for the Sansui to keep working well, but I have not yet researched help in either restoring the Marantz or having it fixed at some point. I am on the East coast, so shipping to someone on this coast might make that more doable. And would you be someone that chooses to go ahead and restore the 4400 and sell the 9001, if I seem to prefer the sound of it with my particular system? And I can’t really articulate why I think it sounds better by a bit, but maybe it’s just the Marantz legacy. Of course the Sansui is also awesome as is its legacy. I did actually find that the Marantz, unrestored, did not have scratchiness in any of the volume controls or dials, even though it had been sitting for a while on a rack but unused for a year or so. The Sansui gets more use, and does have the holy grail demod situation, confirmed by Jim, and has new boards that I replaced with Jim Showker’s help, but yet will sometimes have scratchy knobs, which I just use deoxit on, but did love the Marantz needing nothing after sitting, even. I’ve had both units probably 20 years and don’t know their past so maybe the Sansui just was more finicky. And I live in a humid environment, but obviously they both do too. so, don’t limit yourself to either choice a or B, if you have any suggestions, across-the-board, no holds barred, and things I may not of thought of, please advise.

I don’t know why, but it is so very hard to part with these pieces of equipment that I love, but I am slowly pairing down to just one system and I need to stay on that path. I would sure appreciate any advice you may have from your personal experience, and hope you don’t mind sharing your own opinion. I haven’t found there to be haters on this site who would disparage you for caring to comment. I know people are passionate, and I actually love hearing from the impassioned because it can influence a person. So I hope you will share any relevant experiences or what you would do in such a situation. And I really would love to hear from experienced people who intimately know what this is about on many levels. Thanks in advance for participating! There’s no telling what I’m gonna do at this point, but I’m going to sell one or the other and maybe I’ll end up restoring the Marantz I don’t know. But I want to be informed.

Thanks for reading through this, thinking about it, and helping me with a great problem to have! Take care and stay well and enjoy that quad music! And by the way, the next question is do I let go of my Akai CR80-DSS or Technics RS 858? One is going and both are serviced and working well. Take that on, too, if you’re willing and able! Or just disregard. That will be an easier decision for me than this receiver situation. I bought the Sansui as the beast everyone knows it is and don’t know why I have such attachment to this unrestored 4400. You’d think the restored Sansui would win hands down, and maybe you do. So hopefully I’ll hear from him as many people as possible. Thanks again!

Laura

Skip the dilemma now until the Marantz is restored. Then you will have more ground for a decision.

I have a large quantity of equipment which I bought brand new in the late seventies. I moved four years ago and have been extremely gradually putting the system back together in my new digs. Part of the process is that I have been taking pieces , individually to a young man who has assembled a rather enviable test bench.

I have three Pioneer Series 20 M-22 Class A amplifiers. These babies run HOT. There is lots of literature and lore on the web about "restoring" them. I took them to this young man's bench and two of the three (as well as a contemporaneous Spec 4 power amp) all measure so close to new, that if I hadn't been there watching I would not have believed it. (the third M-22 hasn't been there yet but sounds so good that I am pretty sure it is very healthy)

It is true they could "crash" at any moment. But I am not sure that "restoring" them would make any difference. The main thing people do is replace supposedly "dried out" capacitors. But just because you learn to desolder and solder and order from Mouser does not mean you are qualified to rebuild things.

I have come to think of the "restoring" business as another instance of audiophile tomfoolery. If your 4400 is working correctly and sounds good and passes a measurement session , in my pretty experienced opinion restoring is a waste of money. If it ain't broken , don't fix it. That vintage of Marantz gear is usually a thing of beauty and you should not let some ham fisted restorer ruin it for you.

I have heard that a very famous audiophile engineer who sells stuff I consider to be snake oil, has told a mutual friend that he doesn't believe differences in capacitors are audible, referring both to amplifiers, (his specialty) and crossover networks.

jmo

Play the hell out of the marantz until it gives you problems, then play the sansui while you restore the marantz, and then sell the sansui. Or sell the one that you like the least after the marantz is restored.

Last edited:
I have a large quantity of equipment which I bought brand new in the late seventies. I moved four years ago and have been extremely gradually putting the system back together in my new digs. Part of the process is that I have been taking pieces , individually to a young man who has assembled a rather enviable test bench.

I have three Pioneer Series 20 M-22 Class A amplifiers. These babies run HOT. There is lots of literature and lore on the web about "restoring" them. I took them to this young man's bench and two of the three (as well as a contemporaneous Spec 4 power amp) all measure so close to new, that if I hadn't been there watching I would not have believed it. (the third M-22 hasn't been there yet but sounds so good that I am pretty sure it is very healthy)

It is true they could "crash" at any moment. But I am not sure that "restoring" them would make any difference. The main thing people do is replace supposedly "dried out" capacitors. But just because you learn to desolder and solder and order from Mouser does not mean you are qualified to rebuild things.

I have come to think of the "restoring" business as another instance of audiophile tomfoolery. If your 4400 is working correctly and sounds good and passes a measurement session , in my pretty experienced opinion restoring is a waste of money. If it ain't broken , don't fix it. That vintage of Marantz gear is usually a thing of beauty and you should not let some ham fisted restorer ruin it for you.

I have heard that a very famous audiophile engineer who sells stuff I consider to be snake oil, has told a mutual friend that he doesn't believe differences in capacitors are audible, referring both to amplifiers, (his specialty) and crossover networks.

jmo
Wow! Thanks so much for that! The “thing of beauty” is sort of the missing factor in my description. And, I intuitively feel there is so much truth in what you say, plus having really put equipment on the test bench speaks volumes. I suppose I could save money from the sale of the 9001 for a possible ”restore/fix” fund to sort of future-proof the 4400 and I do now have a local friend who may have a guy who could help if it ever needs it. I sure appreciate your help and experience and honesty. I know others may disagree and having bought a restored one (9001) and what was at least then, thought to be the best, I understand folks wanting to love their own restored purchases as well.I am glad there are folks that will sort of keep these going without the ham-fisted approach. It does worry me when some few people who are not even into quad do restorations. I love the idea with going with a perhaps unusual choice to some, and keeping the one that seems to make me so happy and sound really maybe as close to it did when created with its good workmanship and craft. Again - I thank you so much for giving your perspective. My local audio friend, Alan, has had tons of equipment he bought new and his continues to perform as well. Who knows the history of my 4400, but I do love it! Have a great day!

Play the hell out of the marantz until it gives you problems, then play the sansui while you restore the marantz, and then sell the sansui. Or sell the one that you like the least after the marantz is restored.
Thanks for your idea. I appreciate it.

In my opinion keep both, you can stack a lot of equipment on a tall shelving unit so that it takes up the same amount of floor space. As far as restoring, I'm amazed at just how reliable that old seventies equipment actually was.

Replacing electrolytic capacitors with new ones likely won't change the sound at all but if they are replaced with a film type you may well hear an improvement in sound quality. I don't think that any golden eared audiophile can hear the effect of a single electrolytic capacitor in the signal path but ill effects are cumulative. Many such capacitors added in series with the audio signal I believe contributes to what I refer to as "transistor sound". Sansui will be best for QS and stereo enhancement but the Marantz will have the edge for SQ.

In other posts I stated my preference for the sound of Sansui over that of Marantz, that is because the Marantz that I own has a quasi-complementary output stage while the Sansui's have a complementary symmetry output stage. Recently I looked at a schematic of the 4400 and it too has a complementary symmetry output stage, so they should both sound very similar.

DONT get rid of either piece!!!!! They (Marantz and Sansui) are both rare and quite valuable. You never know when one will bite the dust and even if can be fixed, might not meet you expectations as far as sound quality goes.

In my opinion keep both, you can stack a lot of equipment on a tall shelving unit so that it takes up the same amount of floor space. As far as restoring, I'm amazed at just how reliable that old seventies equipment actually was.

Replacing electrolytic capacitors with new ones likely won't change the sound at all but if they are replaced with a film type you may well hear an improvement in sound quality. I don't think that any golden eared audiophile can hear the effect of a single electrolytic capacitor in the signal path but ill effects are cumulative. Many such capacitors added in series with the audio signal I believe contributes to what I refer to as "transistor sound". Sansui will be best for QS and stereo enhancement but the Marantz will have the edge for SQ.

In other posts I stated my preference for the sound of Sansui over that of Marantz, that is because the Marantz that I own has a quasi-complementary output stage while the Sansui's have a complementary symmetry output stage. Recently I looked at a schematic of the 4400 and it too has a complementary symmetry output stage, so they should both sound very similar.
Thanks! I am now thinking I will keep them both. I appreciate the real-life experience sharing and feel more confident about the ability to get either or both fixed should something fail. Maybe I can install a switch and compare them more back to back. But then I can also just switch according to each one’s forte! And can do it manually since so few rca’s are now needed with my zektor switch for the tape decks and demod. Thanks!

DONT get rid of either piece!!!!! They (Marantz and Sansui) are both rare and quite valuable. You never know when one will bite the dust and even if can be fixed, might not meet you expectations as far as sound quality goes.
Yes, I now see that you are right and the best thing is to keep and enjoy my blessings and be prepared for what may come. Yay!

I would choose based on decoder performance. I would say the Sansui has the better decoder. How well does the Marantz do with QS?

I would choose based on decoder performance. I would say the Sansui has the better decoder. How well does the Marantz do with QS?
Good point. I guess that is why the indulgence of keeping both makes sense. I appreciate the reminder of their individual strengths.

I would say from reading your posts that you HAVE to keep the Marantz. Face it, you love that thing. The Sansui is legendary, but the Marantz is too and just seems to scream 'quality' a bit more than the Sansui.

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.............keep them both! (Even if one sits in a closet somewhere 'just in case') Sometimes it's just nice to know it's there

I love my Marantz much the same way you do...I have the 4140. I love my QRX 9001 also, but it currently has an issue and needs the qrxrestore gang to repair it. All part of the hobby...

I have sold very few pieces over the years, and its fair to say, I generally wish I had not. I went through a phase where it seemed like most of my collection had developed old age issues of one kind or another, and I would get frustrated and threaten to sell them all and just get new modern pieces. But instead I went on a campaign to find qualified folks for each and start getting them repaired. I used Mark Wilson for my McIntosh tuner, Tom Williams for my Marantz gear, a local old school shop for my Phase Linear and QRX Restore for my Sansui AU's. It's not a cheap path, but its a long journey and I save and send them off one at a time.
I guess I'm just sharing to say, every now and then I contrive reasons to sell one piece or another, but in the end I am very happy to have them all when I go through the phase of wanting to listen to this one or that one or another...and sometimes I just love seeing them all powered up in their vintage glory.

I agree with others, keep them both!!!

I would say from reading your posts that you HAVE to keep the Marantz. Face it, you love that thing. The Sansui is legendary, but the Marantz is too and just seems to scream 'quality' a bit more than the Sansui.

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.............keep them both! (Even if one sits in a closet somewhere 'just in case') Sometimes it's just nice to know it's there
Thanks, Jon! You hit the nail on the head. I sure cannot explain this attachment to beautiful (and functional) vintage equipment, but it is a fact and the dern things bring me joy - then you add the music, and what could be better! So now I realize I am addicted to sound, music AND the equipment. Thanks for chiming in!

Back