Are there modern versions of old quad remote controls, like Marantz RC-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPdeak

QQ Supporter
The Marantz RC-4 is fun. Non surround sound folks who listen to my quad system really enjoy being able to isolate different instruments by quickly moving the joystick on the Marantz RC-4. This is also possible on old receivers such as the Pioneer QA-800 which has four individual volume controls.
My question is: Do any of you know of the modern equivalent on 5.1 receivers? Most that I see have only one master volume control on the unit or remote control so quickly isolating one speaker is a laborious task of going into the menu system and by the time that's done the isolated guitar (for example) is no longer playing.
I would think that a tablet or cellphone app would be a nice way of doing this but I have not heard or seen of any.
thanks.

Darn, I was hoping that somebody out there would know of digital/modern equivalents of the old quad remote controls or even individual volume controls on the pre-amps. So, how about old ones? Here are two that I have, the Marantz RC-4 and the individual volume controls on the Pioneer QA-800. I used to have a Heathkit quad integrated amp that had individual channel volume controls. What are your favorites and ... do they still work??

Attachments

• 20240403_104745.jpg
    20240403_104745.jpg
    935 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240403_104844.jpg
    20240403_104844.jpg
    870 KB · Views: 0
I have never seen anything aftermarket, even on the internet. My Marantz remote used to pick up local radio stations, even after a thorough cleaning, so I stopped using that.

The Marantz RC-4 is fun. Non surround sound folks who listen to my quad system really enjoy being able to isolate different instruments by quickly moving the joystick on the Marantz RC-4. This is also possible on old receivers such as the Pioneer QA-800 which has four individual volume controls.
My question is: Do any of you know of the modern equivalent on 5.1 receivers? Most that I see have only one master volume control on the unit or remote control so quickly isolating one speaker is a laborious task of going into the menu system and by the time that's done the isolated guitar (for example) is no longer playing.
I would think that a tablet or cellphone app would be a nice way of doing this but I have not heard or seen of any.
thanks.
I think as close as you'll get would either be the Emotiva models that have trim buttons on their remotes, or the more modern approach of Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Sony etc of using a phone app to control the trims.

I built one using a Radio Shack analog joystick for the Color Computer. The potentiometers in the joystick controlled loading on 10K resistors inserted in the signal path of all 4 channels. It's basically two balance controls, LF to RB, and RF to LB, at right angles to each other.

Back