OPPO 103 advice

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think others might have asked, but how do you plan to connect a new bluray player? Do you plan on using HDMI or analog out? If its HDMI, I would think almost any Blueray player would work for you. You'd want to use the analog connection for SACD and DVDA, assuming you plan on keeping all the players you currently have as well. Do you have an AVR with multiple 5.1 analog inputs?

The 203 might be the same price as the 103. Or it could be up to $100 more according to Oppo.
They haven't announced the final price on the 203. But they are trying to keep the 203 price close to the 103, if possible, with the new features.

price is same. they base manufacturing on tech that will be available not based on what is available now. This way they keep the cost low.
the 95 , the 103 and now the new version all same price, because the tech is now available that was not previously.

I think others might have asked, but how do you plan to connect a new bluray player? Do you plan on using HDMI or analog out? If its HDMI, I would think almost any Blueray player would work for you. You'd want to use the analog connection for SACD and DVDA, assuming you plan on keeping all the players you currently have as well. Do you have an AVR with multiple 5.1 analog inputs?

HDMI is the best method of listening but, analog will suffice , I still use it. Any blu ray machine will of course do BD and access dvd a the dd or dts portions of the disc. sacd will play as redbook cd, unless it's a older sacd. never have seen a AVR with multiple 5.1 in put (analog)

I've got a 93 stacked on top of a 103

I love them both for different reasons

I'd never sell my 93 due to iso playback and I'd never sell my 103 due to SACD ripping

One thing I really like about them that a lot of reviews mention but don't really seemed to be that concerned about is their build quality.

I'm old school, I just hate to see the newer lightweight plastic crap that China put our nowadays.

I love the fact that oppo actually thought about the build quality of their units and one thing no one mentions is IMO the physics of a heavier built unit.

A heavier unit will "absorb" vibration of a spinning platter much better than a lightweight piece of plastic. IMO this would help playback and reduce read errors caused by "wobble" of the disc. I know the wobble is probably very small in lighter weight players but it seems like it would be magnified when a disc is spinning at 10,000 rpm and the bits of a Blu-ray are packed so insanely close together.
If you check, I'm sure Oppo has solved that issue of vibration.

Oppo told me at RMAF in Denver last month that they hope the price will be the same.
But they are pretty confident that if it does go up, it won't be more than $100 more than the 103 price.

I gotta say I was sure as sh*t I saw it was $500.00 but as usual, I'm bad. I must get better glasses and and brain transplant:confused:

HDMI is the best method of listening but, analog will suffice , I still use it. Any blu ray machine will of course do BD and access dvd a the dd or dts portions of the disc. sacd will play as redbook cd, unless it's a older sacd. never have seen a AVR with multiple 5.1 in put (analog)

not HDMI, one set of 5.1 inputs, AVR is a Denon 3805

HDMI is the best method of listening but, analog will suffice.

It depends on the quality of the digital to analog conversion section in the disc player and AV receiver.
Either way (in the disc player or the receiver), the digital signal has to be converted to Analog before it can be heard. :)

HDMI is the best method of listening

I don't think it's right to make a sweeping generalisation statement like this.

It's certainly easier to use HDMI and it's true that HDMI gives you full access to all of the digital processing options in your AVR (room management being the most obvious one) but combine a top end player with high quality DACS with a top end, audio focused AVR that has analogue inputs in a room that's not heavily "coloured" and it will stand up very nicely against HDMI, which some people consider too "digital." I have both options on one of my systems and invariably end up using analogue over HDMI.

Good point Neil although Oppo will recommend the use of HDMI over analog and I've employed both methods I think with a really decent AVR it would be very difficult to tell the difference Oppo uses DAC s that are very very good for just this purpose

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Good point Neil although Oppo will recommend the use of HDMI over analog and I've employed both methods I think with a really decent AVR it would be very difficult to tell the difference Oppo uses DAC s that are very very good for just this purpose

Like bmoura said, depends on the analog board.
Certainly Oppo doesn't recommend HDMI over analog outs on their 5 series players.
Think about it

I don't mean to be argumentative but please take a moment to contact Oppo and they will tell you that they recommend the use of the HDMI port over the analog . This is what they have told me in the past . And the other thing is again Oppo employees excellent dacs

so I just came across a local used 95 , this may be a possible candidate

so I just came across a local used 95 , this may be a possible candidate

The real question is how much?
As good as the 95 is, the 105 is much more mature piece of gear and better built.
If digitizing your disc collection & a far better power supply and heat control is inconsequential to you then the 95 may what you're looking for.
I've owned both and know the strengths & weaknesses.
The 105 is better from the ground up but if you want a player just for physical media and the price is right, then the 95 may meet your needs.

I don't mean to be argumentative but please take a moment to contact Oppo and they will tell you that they recommend the use of the HDMI port over the analog . This is what they have told me in the past . And the other thing is again Oppo employees excellent dacs

You're not being argumentative but you're not acknowledging the blatantly obvious.
The difference between the Oppo-93 & Oppo-95 which was carried over to the 103 & 105 is the analog audio output section.
To believe that Oppo would market a $600 player and a $1200 player where the only difference is the analog output section and to
maintain that Oppo recommended the best audio output for both of these series players would be HDMI, WHICH BYPASSES THE ANALOG OUTPUT SECTION is ludicrous.

Still waiting on a reply from the seller, to an offer of $350

You're not being argumentative but you're not acknowledging the blatantly obvious.
The difference between the Oppo-93 & Oppo-95 which was carried over to the 103 & 105 is the analog audio output section.
To believe that Oppo would market a $600 player and a $1200 player where the only difference is the analog output section and to
maintain that Oppo recommended the best audio output for both of these series players would be HDMI, WHICH BYPASSES THE ANALOG OUTPUT SECTION is ludicrous.

I agree with this.

I would use oppos DAC's anyday over my AVR DAC's except only higher end AVR's have 5.1 or 7.1 analog IN's and my Pioneer elite doesn't have analog IN's, only the Pioneer Elite SC-99 has analog IN's and is $500-$1000 more specifically because of it.

Oppo's dac's are as good, if not better than most AVR's produced

I have tried connecting my OPPO 105 to my preamp/processor via both 5.1 analog and HDMI connections for long periods each way. In my opinion the DACs in the OPPO clearly sound better than those in my preamp/processor (a Classe SSP-800). Having said that, my system is highly resolving compared to most and so those differences might not be as noticeable in many less expensive (and therefore probably a less resolving) systems.

I suppose that the main advantage of using HDMI is that the connection in much simpler. Generally a set of 5.1 analog cables would run you a bit more money as well. Then, of course, there is the multiplicity of wires if you go the 5.1 analog route. Also, there is the advantage of being able to use the room correction functions in the preamp. This may narrow the differences in some systems but I still found the analog connections to be clearly superior.

Of course, if you went the HDMI route, it would be much cheaper to get a "3 series" Oppo (e.g a 103 or the forthcoming 203) versus a "5 series (e.g. a 105 or the forthcoming 205).

In my case, there is a hidden advantage to using analog connectors. I often like to listen to music while watching sporting events and as far as I can tell the only way to accomplish this is to use the analog outs whether 5.1 or stereo.

By the way, I did extensive comparisons in stereo as well. If anything, the differences were even more apparent, probably because of the "souped up" dedicated stereo DACs in the OPPO.

I think it comes down to the kind of system one has. Ultimately, the best tool for determining this will be your ears. If you don't think you will be able to hear a significant difference between the analog and HDMI connections, then I would go with the "3 series" OPPO.

Hope this is of some use.

Jim

N.B. There are other reasons for purchasing a "5" series over the "3" series Oppo besides using the excellent DACS in the OPPO. However, the emphasis of this thread seems to be on the connectors so I will confine my comments to that.

I have tried connecting my OPPO 105 to my preamp/processor via both 5.1 analog and HDMI connections for long periods each way. In my opinion the DACs in the OPPO clearly sound better than those in my preamp/processor (a Classe SSP-800). Having said that, my system is highly resolving compared to most and so those differences might not be as noticeable in many less expensive (and therefore probably a less resolving) systems.

I suppose that the main advantage of using HDMI is that the connection in much simpler. Generally a set of 5.1 analog cables would run you a bit more money as well. Then, of course, there is the multiplicity of wires if you go the 5.1 analog route. Also, there is the advantage of being able to use the room correction functions in the preamp. This may narrow the differences in some systems but I still found the analog connections to be clearly superior.

Of course, if you went the HDMI route, it would be much cheaper to get a "3 series" Oppo (e.g a 103 or the forthcoming 203) versus a "5 series (e.g. a 105 or the forthcoming 205).

In my case, there is a hidden advantage to using analog connectors. I often like to listen to music while watching sporting events and as far as I can tell the only way to accomplish this is to use the analog outs whether 5.1 or stereo.

By the way, I did extensive comparisons in stereo as well. If anything, the differences were even more apparent, probably because of the "souped up" dedicated stereo DACs in the OPPO.

I think it comes down to the kind of system one has. Ultimately, the best tool for determining this will be your ears. If you don't think you will be able to hear a significant difference between the analog and HDMI connections, then I would go with the "3 series" OPPO.

Hope this is of some use.

Jim

N.B. There are other reasons for purchasing a "5" series over the "3" series Oppo besides using the excellent DACS in the OPPO. However, the emphasis of this thread seems to be on the connectors so I will confine my comments to that.

the 5 series has a stereo output stage that uses very high end dacs. There is no different in the video section of the two machines. The 103 has 2 hdmi output 1 is meant for video while the 2 port does not use the marvel video chip, but you can shoot just audio through number 2 out.

Back