Oppo replacement recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarkNovak

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
My stalwart Oppo BDP-80 is staring to show signs of age; specifically, stalling playback and dropping audio after playing more than 1 disc. It’s not heat-related (I think), and the discs are pristine- maybe pickup alignment, I don’t know. But the Oppo was used when I got it 7 years ago, so I guess it’s time to replace it.

i’d like another “universal” unit, that will play SACD, DVD-A, BD, etc. for multichannel output. Is there anything new that fills the bill, or must I find another used Oppo?

My stalwart Oppo BDP-80 is staring to show signs of age; specifically, stalling playback and dropping audio after playing more than 1 disc. It’s not heat-related (I think), and the discs are pristine- maybe pickup alignment, I don’t know. But the Oppo was used when I got it 7 years ago, so I guess it’s time to replace it.

i’d like another “universal” unit, that will play SACD, DVD-A, BD, etc. for multichannel output. Is there anything new that fills the bill, or must I find another used Oppo?

Only analog inputs on your receiver? Look for another used OPPO Player

Oppo Digital DV-983H DVD Player

or

Oppo Digital DV-981HD DVD Player

Regards,

Unfortunately it has only HDMI outputs and OP's Sansui receiver only has analog inputs.
I should update my profile 😊 I have a relatively modern Sony STR-DE945 for use with the Oppo, which has discrete analog 5.1, optical, and SPDIF digital inputs, but no HDMI. So that’s a limiting factor.

Last edited:

I also have an 80 as one of my disc players. If you are a little handy, open the cover and clean the lense on the unit. Worth a try and worked for me.
Otherwise as suggested get in touch with the good folks in Cali who repair them.

With all due respect, not even close. Even if the hardware is, one of the biggest selling points of buying an Oppo was their unmatched customer service. With Reavon, customer service is a huge question mark, but you can be sure it'll be nowehere near Oppo level.

I should update my profile 😊 I have a relatively modern Sony STR-DE945 for use with the Oppo, which has discrete analog 5.1, optical, and SPDIF digital inputs, but no HDMI. So that’s a limiting factor.
It might be time to upgrade the amp. It's not anything special, and it will eventually die anyway. Rather than throw money towards a used media player that could also die sooner than later, and end up right back in the same place. I'm all for using gear for as long as possible, but there's always a point with electronics in which the cost/benefit trying to keep the old stuff on life support is reached and leans toward replacement. The exception is for boutique high end gear, which that old Sony 5.1 receiver you have is not.

Best Buy (and Amazon) have the Sony - STRDH590 receiver and Sony - UBP-X800M2 bluray player on sale. These new components will meet (or exceed) the needs of your current setup, and likely ensure some longevity.

Last edited:
Also...if the service center repairs the unit it's a good bet it will last a while. Plus the prices are reasonable: you pay a standard price for repair and you ship it on your dime. They will often turn it around very quickly and send it back to you on THEIR dime. Can't beat it.
Of course if you need/want 4K then you will need to buy something else.

Who knows what the problem is with an aging Oppo, but like I said, just cleaning the lense fixed the skipping on mine. If not mechanically inclined then call and get in touch with service and see what they tell you. Your call of course.

Time to upgrade that AVR maybe as well? It's HDMI everything these days.

It might be time to upgrade the amp. It's not anything special, and it will eventually die anyway. Rather than throw money towards a used media player that could also die sooner than later, and end up right back in the same place. I'm all for using gear for as long as possible, but there's always a point with electronics in which the cost/benefit trying to keep the old stuff on life support is reached and leans toward replacement. The exception is for boutique high end gear, which that old Sony 5.1 receiver you have is not.

Best Buy (and Amazon) have the Sony - STRDH590 receiver and Sony - UBP-X800M2 bluray player on sale. These new components will meet (or exceed) the needs of your current setup, and likely ensure some longevity.
This is a great point. I can run 5.1 analog only because some of my gear is older, but I seldom do anymore. But gear with Analog MCH signal paths only come in two varieties now, Used or. Expensive. Go with the Sony player and an HDMI capable AVR if you can swing the extra cost. If your current AVR offers power in jacks, you can even shoot for a Pre/Pro and use the AVR as a power amp for a while. There are several reasonably priced models available. Pair one with a MCH Amp and you wont have to worry about or spend $$ on upgrading the power amps when you really only need to upgrade the processor.

Back