Oppo replacement recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning the laser lens is not difficult. I don't remember every detail but basically, remove the cover, remove the laser housing, clean the lens. I used 91% alcohol and cotton balls. The laser reads the disc from the bottom, so it will be oriented correctly for cleaning easily once the lens cover is removed.

Maybe the folks at Menlo Park have a detailed description for those that need it. Worth asking I guess.

Reading threads like this I feel so lucky to have the option that I use.
All music ripped, listen only to ripped files of any format.
PC>USB out>external MCH DAC>analog RCA's out to the 7.1 Analog in back of AVR, and boom.
For Atmos PC>HDMI out to HDMI in of Atmos capable AVR.
All that said, I am sure something will break at some point, but so far so good.

Reading threads like this I feel so lucky to have the option that I use.
All music ripped, listen only to ripped files of any format.
PC>USB out>external MCH DAC>analog RCA's out to the 7.1 Analog in back of AVR, and boom.
For Atmos PC>HDMI out to HDMI in of Atmos capable AVR.
All that said, I am sure something will break at some point, but so far so good.
What multichannel DAC do you use if I may ask?

If the X800M2 will play burned DVDA then I may check it out. Otherwise I'll stick with the old Oppo's.
If it plays DVD-Rs I would think yes, especially if it plays DVD-As as noted in specs.

Not trying to be vague. Are there players show do not play a burned DVD?

If it plays DVD-Rs I would think yes, especially if it plays DVD-As as noted in specs.
Owner manual says yes, plays
Blu-ray
Ultra HD Blu-ray, BD-ROM,
BD-R*2/BD-RE*2

DVD
DVD-ROM, DVD-R/
DVD-RW, DVD+R/DVD+RW
DVD AUDIO *4

CD
CD-DA (Music CD),
CD-ROM, CD-R/CD-RW,
Super Audio CD

Attachments

• output.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
  • output1.pdf
    13.9 KB · Views: 0
  • output2.pdf
    19.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The Sony will not play burned copies of DVD-A or SACD-R. But it will play Multi-Channel FLAC. It will also play your store bought DVD-A, SACD and Blu-Ray discs. Also, 4K Blu-Ray discs.
When you say "burned copies" OQG, you mean an encrypted copy?
The reason I'm trying to be clear is I sometimes author DVDA, so naturally I would like to burn a copy and make sure it's fine in a disc player.

I have 3 Oppo's that will play burned DVDA, but as we know they are getting a little long in the tooth.

Owner manual says yes, plays
Blu-ray
Ultra HD Blu-ray, BD-ROM,
BD-R*2/BD-RE*2

DVD
DVD-ROM, DVD-R/
DVD-RW, DVD+R/DVD+RW
DVD AUDIO *4

CD
CD-DA (Music CD),
CD-ROM, CD-R/CD-RW,
Super Audio CD
What is a DVD AUDIO *4? Never heard of the format? I’m serious, they had the chance to state DVD-A and chose not to?

Ok then, does it decode a DTS CD like those nice old releases….. and conversions on CD-R? Need to be able to play Gaucho and Tres Hombres of course?

Last edited:
Back