original quad broadcast scans

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadtrade

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
quad radio 1-001.jpgquad radio-001.jpg

Here is an item i thought some of you would enjoy a look
very cool original handout from the era
this came with a reel of a quadraphonic broadcast i am getting ready to ebay.
Decided long ago to part with the reels and machines and last weird tapes will go up soon.

thought i may as well sell the insert with the recording, as the recording is of a quad radio broadcast from these stations.

Attachments

• quad radio 1.jpg
    quad radio 1.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 191
  • quad radio.jpg
    quad radio.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 183
Anything interesting broadcast in 4-channels or was it all standard board-of-fair commercially available releases?

Anything interesting broadcast in 4-channels or was it all standard board-of-fair commercially available releases?

The only song I remember (I'm a Sacramentan) is the "Super Sessions" version of "Season of the Witch", but with two different simultaneous vocals.

If you are within receiving range of 104.7 The Cave (KKLH) in Springfield, Missouri set your decoder on SQ and listen to a station that brodcast SQ quad. As much as one half or more is SQ encoded music.

If you are within receiving range of 104.7 The Cave (KKLH) in Springfield, Missouri set your decoder on SQ and listen to a station that brodcast SQ quad. As much as one half or more is SQ encoded music.

They are still using SQ encoded material in broadcast? Half of the material is SQ? They must play a wide variety of music to broadcast that much SQ. Unless they are playing the same stuff over and over.

Q8...Been listening to The Cave this morning and not remembering when Quad SQ started (seems it was 1970-72), but The Cave is playing Hendrix "Sexy Lady" that came out (I believe) in 1968. The 4 channel definition seems to be discrete quad. Not sure what equipment they are using to broadcast, but....It sure sounds and looks (on the SQD-2020 meters) to be quad.

View attachment 9553View attachment 9554

Here is an item i thought some of you would enjoy a look
very cool original handout from the era
this came with a reel of a quadraphonic broadcast i am getting ready to ebay.
Decided long ago to part with the reels and machines and last weird tapes will go up soon.

thought i may as well sell the insert with the recording, as the recording is of a quad radio broadcast from these stations.

Here's one of those broadcast tapes available for sale on Ebay; http://www.ebay.com/itm/REEL-TO-REEL-WITH-RARE-INSERT-QUADRAPHONIC-FM-BROADCAST-KBRG-K101-KZAP-KSFM-/251235633724?pt=Music_Other_Formats&hash=item3a7ecf8a3c

Could be useful to mention playing speed. Not all machines play 3 3/4 and not all people would want that speed anyway.

What's funny is I misread the thread title as being "original quad broadcast scams" and remembered how the matrix quad broadcasts I heard sounded strangely like regular stereo.

I have 3 reels of the first Midwest 4 ch ( Quad ) broadcast (1970 ?) . A 2 hr pgm of demos, music , rain, trains, put together by two local Chicago FM stations , WMAQ and WEXI. The major problem you had no way to test for polarity (phasing) side to side: 50/50. Also, since each station had limiters and compressors the sound images would wander about.
I am interested in transferring these quad tapes to CDs, what format would you use ?
If transferred AAD, I have a Mac, and what hardware & software would you suggest?

Don Patten

Back