Orthoperspecta, anyone?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikko1200

Together with normal 2-channel stereo equipment and a Sansui QRX-7001 4-channel receiver, I own a mid-70's Salora Stereo 3000 Orthoperspecta receiver. I wonder if any other here own orthoperspecta stereo equipment, Salora or other?
Orthoperspecta system was invented by Finnish Hi-Fi guru Tapio M. Köykkä. It was patented in 1962 and was one of the earliest commercial surround systems. It is matrix stereo using 3 loudspeakers. The main (front) full range speaker is left+right channel in mono. Side speakers are L-R and R-L in opposite phases. Side speaker frequency range is 300Hz-3500Hz. Orthoperspecta doesn't need any special records, normal stereo records are OK. However, to get full advantage of the system you will need a recording done with MS-stereo setup (mid-side stereo, for example EMI used this method).
If you are now wondering "what the h*** exactly is Orthoperspecta Stereo?", I recommend you to read page 9 (it's in english) on Salora Owner's Manual http://salora.name/radiot/mallisto/HIFI/3000/ko/SALORA_HIFI_STEREO_3000_k%E4ytt%F6ohje.htm

Last edited:
Together with normal 2-channel stereo equipment and a Sansui QRX-7001 4-channel receiver, I own a mid-70's Salora Stereo 3000 Orthoperspecta receiver. I wonder if any other here own orthoperspecta stereo equipment, Salora or other?
Orthoperspecta system was invented by Finnish Hi-Fi guru Tapio M. Köykkä. It was patented in 1962 and was one of the earliest commercial surround systems. It is matrix stereo using 3 loudspeakers. The main (front) full range speaker is left+right channel in mono. Side speakers are L-R and R-L in opposite phases. Side speaker frequency range is 300Hz-3500Hz. Orthoperspecta doesn't need any special records, normal stereo records are OK. However, to get full advantage of the system you will need a recording done with MS-stereo setup (mid-side stereo, for example EMI used this method).
If you are now wondering "what the h*** exactly is Orthoperspecta Stereo?", I recommend you to read page 9 (it's in english) on Salora Owner's Manual SALORA HIFI STEREO 3000 käyttöohje

March 30, 1974

Finnish First:
‘Q’ Broadcast

FINLAND
-
The first major Finnish broadcast in quadraphonic has been made by the Government-controled radio, Oy Yleisradio Ab.
The presentation, which lasted six hours, featured recordings by the European Broadcasting Union and included one of the BBC's promenade concerts.
Oy Yleisradio Ab said in a statement the broadcasts should be looked upon as a basis for further discussion on the future of quadraphonic in Finland.
Finland has its own contender in the battle for quadraphonic supremacy. The Orthoperspecta, or OP-System, invented by Finnish electronics expert Tapio Koykka operates with a high-powered amplifier and a wide-range speaker.
It requires another amplifier of lesser power and two smaller speakers to complete the set-up.
The OP-System, made by Finnish TV and radio manufacturers, Salora, is claimed to be cheaper than its competitors and to provide a greater impression of depth of sound.

Back