Paul McCartney "Good Evening NYC" DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I was hedging on this a bit seeing as I already have more than a few Macca live DVD's - but as I grew up about a mile from the original Shea Stadium, I couldn't resist. This was recorded at the new home of the Mets - Citifield which is just a stones throw from Shea. I picked up the 2CD/1 DVD set at Border's for $14.99 (Best Buy has the special edition 2 CD/2 DVD set -which has footage from the Letterman show).

The DVD has 33 (almost 2 1/2 hours worth) songs from the show which features a solid mix of Beatles, Wings, Solo and stuff from the new Fireman release - Paul is in particularly fine voice. There is a cool moment with a fairly seamless mixing together of "I'm Down" from both the 1965 Shea show and the current one - without missing nary a beat and right on pitch. Billy Joel also joins in on "I Saw Her Standing There." The PQ is excellent and upconverts quite nicely to 1080P if you have the capability. The DVD is DTS 5.1 and DD 2.0 only. Mixed by Geoff Emerick and Paul Hicks - a great live mix - not exactly discrete but more going on in the rears than you would expect.

Glad I decided to break down and pick this up - a very enjoyable show...oh and the band? Smokin! :smokin

Oddly, the only thing I heard in the rears was the applause between songs. Other than that, the rears seemed pretty quiet. Also, there was very little applause in the fronts, which sounded strange. Great show, great DVD, odd sounding 5.1 mix (to me).
But for $14.95 (at Starbucks), a great deal.

J. D.

I would have bought this right away if if were a blu-ray. I was hoping they would do a blu-ray of his Coachella set, since I was there for that one and it was outstanding. But this looks like a similar setlist. I just have to decide whether to hold out for blu or not.

Oddly, the only thing I heard in the rears was the applause between songs. Other than that, the rears seemed pretty quiet. Also, there was very little applause in the fronts, which sounded strange. Great show, great DVD, odd sounding 5.1 mix (to me).
But for $14.95 (at Starbucks), a great deal.

J. D.

Besides audience and ambient reverb you have distinctive guitar, keys and background vocals only - NO drums, bass or lead vocal in the rears. McCartneys' vocals are Center only with Drums FL, C & FR. Guitars and keys are in the four corners - albeit less so in the rears. Great sounding mix (IMHO).

Besides audience and ambient reverb you have distinctive guitar, keys and background vocals only - NO drums, bass or lead vocal in the rears. McCartneys' vocals are Center only with Drums FL, C & FR. Guitars and keys are in the four corners - albeit less so in the rears. Great sounding mix (IMHO).

I'll have to revisit this. I was watching this on my computer, and my amp definitely detected a DTS signal from the digital output of my soundcard, but I didn't hear what you're hearing. I'll try it in a DVD player later on.

J. D.

I got the deluxe edition, I must say I love digibook. The only con is that you'll struggle to take out disc 1 & 4 but hey, the 40 page booklet (nearly a book) is awesome.

I think is one of the best live sounding dvd's I've ever heard, even not being true dts, McCa and his band are in the greatest mod about playing alive. All Wings, Beatles and solo tunes are stunning and powerful performances. Both cds and dvds are great sounding.
The biggest highlight: Sing The Changes, amazing song.

Back