Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here - a couple of SQ LP questions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axeugene

Hi guys, I just found this forum - actually was referred here from the Steve Hoffman forums.
I've got a copy of WYWH Quad (LP), and i was wondering a couple of things I've had unanswered for so long, and I'm hoping someone, or a couple of you here might have some insight. here goes:

1. Does anyone knows who mixed it and when?

2. Does anyone know why they decided to keep in those extra seconds of solo on Have A Cigar - as well as the extra bars of fadeout on the same solo after the big whoosh - and not include them on any other release?

3. At what point of production do they do the big Whoosh thing? Is it during mastering or mixing, because it's a much different and more dramatic effect than on cd - same goes for the DSOTM LP vs CD Speak To Me/ Breathe transition.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it as it's bugged for some time now. thanks.

Since you are naming differences, I believe the song WYWH is a different mix too. There is a lap steel guitar part in place of an acoustic guitar lead late in the song.

Since you are naming differences, I believe the song WYWH is a different mix too. There is a lap steel guitar part in place of an acoustic guitar lead late in the song.

Backing singers come in immediately "Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun". On the stereo version, they don't come in until "Now there's a look in your eyes."

Might be wrong, but I don't think "Welcome to the Machine" has the final "pop" at the very end in the quad mix.

There are extra bars played in the second half of SOYCD.

I have this on SQ Quad vinyl i have not played it in ages i will have
to give it another spin.

I think what you are referring to was a mispressing. Whatever side you hear it on, note the same passage is on the other side at the same point on the vinyl. Is it the Columbia US release? I think if you search for it, you'll find info on it out there.

The DVD-A referred to is as it is on the vinyl.
The transfer was done by a member here from a new, still-at-the time-sealed copy.
That reprise is there - and on the stereo version, you can hear the edit where it was cut out too.

As for who did the mix? not got a clue.

Also "Welcome To the Machine" had extra Solina String Ensemble synthesizer parts during the ending synthesizer solo. Also, extra lap steel guitar on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 6-9)" and also Roger's voice was pretty much dry on the "remember when you were young" and "nobody knows where you are" vocal line bits. I think the mix was done by Brian Humphries with the other members of Pink Floyd. The Stereo Quad mix came out in early 1976.

I first got this as a bootleg and it was a bad transfer from a US 8-track. I just got a superior sounding version of the SQ mix from a friend who has the vinyl and dubbed it to CD for me.

I can't help the OP with his questions and this thread is quite outdated anyhow, but to add my two cents, both "Shine On..." and "Have A Cigar" both have an additional bar or two added to the tracks and "Wish..." itself has the pedal steel guitar solo in place of Gilmour's attempt at a 'George Benson' (sorry, but that's who comes to mind). I have a DTS-CD of this version and it's excellent fun in the sweet spot. I've heard other attempts using a stereo CD for a 5.1 upmix converted to DVD-A, but this simple lil' DTS-CD is perhaps the best thing we (I) will get to the long-rumored Guthrie hybrid SACD.

Dan

A 35th anniversary surround bootleg compilation is out there. You can make comparisons.

I'm not completely certain, but I think Alan Parson mixed this as well as DSOTM....I will have to look at my DVD-audio of it.

After looking at my DVD-Audio box, all I see is the engineer's name...would that be the mixer? His name was Brian Humphrey. By the way, are you folks aware that there is, stuffed in a vault somewhere, the quad master tape of Animals that was never released? If I had my wish, all Pink Floyd quad material would be released on DVD-Audio. After all, what could it hurt? A DTS version that would be playable on all DVD players would only make all the Pink Floyd fans incredibly happy.

AFAIK the original quad mix was done by Brian Humphries. It is rumoured that a new mix by James Guthrie has been ready for an SACD release and the PF quad catalogue may see the light of day in digital format.

There an on-going thread on "another audio board" discussing why we will likely never see WYWH in 5.1, even though it is done, wrapped, art work for covers is completed, etc., etc.

It makes for most depressing reading.

It also truly encourages one to rape music companies at every opportunity.

:mad:

If WYWH is done and wrapped and still won't be released.... I have zero hope that the Animals Quad tapes will ever see the light of day either.

Unless the same rascal that "obtained" the quad mix of DSOTM strikes again (Help me, Alan Parsons, you are my only hope), we are SOL.

...After all, what could it hurt? A DTS version that would be playable on all DVD players would only make all the Pink Floyd fans incredibly happy.
Not me. I'd want all of the sound not just some of it. A dts version would be embarrassing at best.

Well, I also read today that PF have settled their legal issues with EMI and signed a new deal with them - isn't that usually a signal that reissues, deluxe editions etc etc are on the horizon so they can sell more copies of the same music to people that have bought them several times already? No, nothing specific about the WYWH surround mix was mentioned (that I saw anyway) but who knows?

Well, I also read today that PF have settled their legal issues with EMI and signed a new deal with them - isn't that usually a signal that reissues, deluxe editions etc etc are on the horizon so they can sell more copies of the same music to people that have bought them several times already? No, nothing specific about the WYWH surround mix was mentioned (that I saw anyway) but who knows?

I would love to see a big box with remasters of all their albums, brand new packaging, and all sorts of bells and whis......oh wait, they've done that twice over already. ;)

A 35th anniversary surround bootleg compilation is out there. You can make comparisons.

I finally burned the "35th anniversary compilation" onto blu-ray and it sounds awesome. A job well done to all involved. It was nice to see my amplifier light up DTS Master Audio with only the FR/FL/RR/RL lights on the channel designation chart signifying true quad with no center channel or sub.

Back