Wham! - Fantastic & Make It Big Atmos Blu-Ray Audios w/bonus tracks (SDE Surround Series #19 & #20) March 22, 2024 (Delayed until April 26)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stock arrived on Thursday afternoon.
Yikes! Manufacturing really screwed you on that one, eh? To keep customers like me mollified in future situations like this, it might be prudent to send out an alert email when stock arrives so we can set our expectations accordingly.

Geez, label printed Monday.
Arrives at its first stop in the UK Tuesday afternoon.
On my doorstep on the west coast of Canada Friday morning.
I don’t think it could be any faster.
And Canada Customs left me alone, bonus.

Damn, that’s awesome - I’m in the Niagara Region, expected delivery before EOD Monday. Thanks to Rhino I’ve got no shortage of new surround discs to keep me busy this weekend.
That’s my next investment, the new Quadio bundle along with the Joni box set.
That’ll be enough to get me free shipping and hopefully a functioning discount code

Just received the bundle. Look at the upside down slipcase back on Make it Big! (not sure why some of the print looks out of focus in this photo...not how it really looks)

@PaulatSDE

IMG_8307.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GOS
Mine arriver today too. With the same upside down artwork. But then I checked Discogs....

It appears that original UK vinyl copies were printed this way. (In the USA the album had a different cover). So apparently SDE is staying true to the original release.

View attachment 105127

Nice detective work...but man, that is bonkers!!! I Love it.

Mine arriver today too. With the same upside down artwork. But then I checked Discogs....

It appears that original UK vinyl copies were printed this way. (In the USA the album had a different cover). So apparently SDE is staying true to the original release.

View attachment 105127
Correct. Who are we to argue with Peter Saville's design concepts.

View attachment 105127
For those of us that used to flip albums over vertically rather than horizontally! (y)

Make It Big arrived yesterday. 12 year old me would be embarrassed for having such a thing in my collection, but I revisited GM's "Faith" album a few years back and found that all the contemporary hype and praise from the time it came out was warranted.

This album not so much, but GM's songwriting chops are undeniable. Everything She Wants and Freedom are still bangers. Careless Whisper is forever a guilty pleasure as well.

The Atmos mix is a fold-down to 5.1 for me and sounds great. Very active in all speakers.

The Atmos mix is a fold-down to 5.1 for me and sounds great. Very active in all speakers.
I agree. Make It Big in Atmos is the real deal. "Wake Me Up Before You GoGo" and "Freedom" are kinda thin and brittle, and drenched in layers of reverb, exactly like the original versions. But, otherwise, the rest of the album opens up and I think it is a sonic delight. Plus, the boatload of bonus tracks is the icing on the cake. Fantastic, at least musically, is not too, IMO. The Atmos mix is great, but the songwriting is not on the same level as Make It Big. It's an album that clearly suffers from the dreaded "sophomore jinx" and surely marked the beginning of the end for the duo. I consider Make It Big to be definitive and an excellent addition to my library. I can't say the same for Fantastic.

I agree. Make It Big in Atmos is the real deal. "Wake Me Up Before You GoGo" and "Freedom" are kinda thin and brittle, and drenched in layers of reverb, exactly like the original versions. But, otherwise, the rest of the album opens up and I think it is a sonic delight. Plus, the boatload of bonus tracks is the icing on the cake. Fantastic, at least musically, is not too, IMO. The Atmos mix is great, but the songwriting is not on the same level as Make It Big. It's an album that clearly suffers from the dreaded "sophomore jinx" and surely marked the beginning of the end for the duo. I consider Make It Big to be definitive and an excellent addition to my library. I can't say the same for Fantastic.
I thought Fantastic was the debut and Make It Big the sophomore effort; if so, no jinx there – it's a wonderful pop/rock ride!

Back