Playing DVD-A files from a PC.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since he doesn't seem to understand Windows very well, I was trying to walk him through the basics, not confuse him. But carry on, young man.
He seemed to be online at the time so I thought I would walk him through it. But alas, he never responded. Pretty sure I could have had him up and going pretty quick. :unsure:

Last edited:
Windows settings/system/sound. Hopefully there it says AV Receiver.
Start with that.

If you using HDMI from the motherboard, make sure the Intel Display Driver is installed and up to date.
It didn't give me the option of AV receiver. Just the TV, which was weird. I'll try again tonight when I get home. Thanks.

Since he doesn't seem to understand Windows very well, I was trying to walk him through the basics, not confuse him. But carry on, young man.
He seemed to be online at the time so I thought I would walk him through it. But alas, he never responded. Pretty sure I could have had him up and going pretty quick. :unsure:
Sorry! I posted at work (where I am now).

I don't know ANYTHING about Windows! I've only used Macs for 20 years!

Unless you've grown up with Windows, the switch from Mac to Windows is extremely painful from a accessibility standpoint. No problems if you switch from WIndows to Mac, only the other way around.

VLC Player and MediaPlayerClassic BE are able to play stereo and multi-channel (lpcm).mpl files and pass the audio via HDMI to an AVR...
I agree. Gifting anyone an entire album, you is a fool. Who make the music? the artists. Who makes it available on physical media? Record companies & song publishers. I will not RIP anyone something I have bought. It's unfair to them & to me. One can have their attitudes and feelings; RIPing something is like going into a store and stealing it for your friends. Thank you SellMoreDigital. Steven Pettinga, Indianapolis.

Yamaha receiver? HDMI? Try flicking between HDMI processing and HDMI passthrough in the receiver settings. On passthrough mode, unless your TV tells the computer it supports 5.1 input, the computer won't have that option available. The Yamaha receiver will also be invisible to the PC.
That's very interesting. I had a Yamaha Dolby DBX AV receiver and a Pioneer that was supposed to play SACD & DVD Audio. To switch discs was so frustrating. I was never able to get the play & the receiver to cooperate. The receiver's sub woofer died and I hated the player because it didn't have it's own screen. Threw it all away but I kept the CDs, BVD, SACDs, and the vinyl conterparts. I'm back at square 1 but am interested in that M something decoder. Any feeling about that? Thanks - Steven

Update -

I played around with settings, updated the receiver to the latest firmware, updated the drivers on the laptop and am running into a bit of an odd issue. I am attaching the wiring diagram of how I have things wired. One time when logging into the sound settings I was able to see the receiver in the sound setting options and connect to it, but now I am only getting "Roku TV" showing up as an option. You can see that I am connected from the PC direct to the receiver, but it is not showing the receiver as being an option. Any recommendations? Do I have this wired wrong?

Attachments

• sound setting.png
    sound setting.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Wiring Diagram.png
    Wiring Diagram.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
Hey Lensflair!
If you go into your Yamaha settings, there should be an HDMI processing/direct toggle, try toggling it to processing mode. Your receiver should show up in Windows then.

The wiring is fine! However, that isn't actually the "real" Windows sound settings. Windows is confusing, I hate it too. What you wanna do is right click on the sound icon in the taskbar, then click the sounds button. It should take you to a Windows 7 style sounds menu.

sound icon/gear icon/System/sound/more sound settings to get to the old style Windows sound settings..
It's so confusing for people because there is several ways to get there. This way, or through control panel.

However, I've seen under System/Sound that it sometimes get stuck in stereo and you have to futz with it a bit. (Windows 11)

Hi there - thanks for the quick replies - I went into the yamaha settings and did not find any setting that was related to direct toggle. You can see in the next screenshot attached what it looks like in the old windows 7 screen...still getting the same thing. The receiver not showing up and its showing only Roku TV.

Any more thoughts?

Thank you all!

Timm

Attachments

• audio 2.png
    audio 2.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi there - thanks for the quick replies - I went into the yamaha settings and did not find any setting that was related to direct toggle. You can see in the next screenshot attached what it looks like in the old windows 7 screen...still getting the same thing. The receiver not showing up and its showing only Roku TV.

Any more thoughts?

Thank you all!

Timm
What is the format of the files and what were they taken from or ripped? Just curious...

ok I was now able to bring up the old windows 7 screen and do configure on the receiver - but it is only showing 2 channel as an option. Any idea?

Attachments

• configuration.png
    configuration.png
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
ok I was now able to bring up the old windows 7 screen and do configure on the receiver - but it is only showing 2 channel as an option. Any idea?
Yeah, it could one of several things. We could be looking at the laptop's onboard audio, or the tv interface. Is why I asked you previously if you had the ARC (audio return channel) enabled on the AVR from the TV.
"Speakers" often means onboard audio output from 3.5mm jacks. Does your laptop have one or several? Could even be headphone output I suppose.

I also gave instructions on how to go to device manager and see what audio devices were listed. Have you done this?

Really this could go on forever at this rate.

Back