Pono Music - high-quality music initiative from Neil Young

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a lot of talk in the industry that the majority of the first music for the Pono will indeed be just CD 44.1/16bit files that came from CD masters. The promise of free upgrades is an easy delay tactic that can easily extend for years.

With the HFA pushes coming from Sony and Universal, the Pono program may be something that turns out to be the next Zune.

Time will tell.

Which "HFPA pushes" would that be?

They are just trying to sell you the same squashed "modern sounding" re-masters again, and they won't sound any better in 24 bits.

The sound has nothing to do with bits or kHz, it's how the mastering was done that matters.

They are just trying to sell you the same squashed "modern sounding" re-masters again, and they won't sound any better in 24 bits.

The sound has nothing to do with bits or kHz, it's how the mastering was done that matters.

Let's go back to cassette tapes then. They will sound just as good since only the mastering matters. $6.98 each.

Oh, woops, thought I was on the SH forum.

This time he can't be excused. He came out with Pono as the savior of mobile music. He was going to right a terrible wrong. He's going to be the horse's you know what if this doesn't get fixed.

I think this is a "Build it and they will come" situation. Having a million songs mastered in HiRes in a few months is unreasonable. The policy of updating tracks when HiRes appears is reasonable. There's now incentive for companies to make HiRes versions available when updating their catalogs and when mastering new albums. In the meantime, you can play all your current FLAC and HiRes stuff in a portable player with good quality DACs.

I think this is a "Build it and they will come" situation. Having a million songs mastered in HiRes in a few months is unreasonable. The policy of updating tracks when HiRes appears is reasonable. There's now incentive for companies to make HiRes versions available when updating their catalogs and when mastering new albums. In the meantime, you can play all your current FLAC and HiRes stuff in a portable player with good quality DACs.
When Neil Young was promoting the Kickstarter campaign he only ever talked about high quality music. It was like a mantra. People like our fellow QQ member Odys bought into that (and why not, Neil made it sound so great) only to now be told that "oh we didn't really mean we'd have all that great music right away". I appreciate your common sense approach Scott but sometimes, and this really seems like one of those times, you have to call people out when they have misled you.

Sony has an entire NEW line of products for their own version of HD audio files and software. In a way, this is a direct competitor for PONO, and might make one wonder if Sony might keep their HD Audio catalog for their products as opposed to other companies.

Sony would not do that, right? :)

http://store.sony.com/-/cat-27-cati...;sid=QEQjnmtj3CjLnz9Ueu9DmllpoPLTF4vVsM0mfbq_

That's not a new line of High Resolution Products from Sony Electronics. That group of products was introduced at the 2013 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) a year ago! Along with the launch of Acoustic Sounds Super HiRez (which sells Sony Stereo downloads in DSD and PCM) and Native DSD at the same audio show.

As long as the Pono plays standard PCM files, as I believe it does, Pono owners can certainly buy Sony Music files from Super HiRez, HD Tracks, etc. and use them.

Sony Electronics does have an announcement scheduled at this year's RMAF on Saturday. We'll learn more then about what is to come.

For now, I own and am a big fan of the Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server. A great way to get into downloads - no USB cable or connected computer required for playback in Stereo. Now, if they were to release a new "HAP" Server with Multichannel playback as well, I might have to get another HAP server.... :)

EISA Digital Source of the Year: The Sony HAP-Z1 ES Digital Music Server
Award Announcement: http://www.eisa.eu/awards/hi-fi/16/european-digital-source-2014-2015.html
Award Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/103314007

I finally heard back from Pono Support about my player coming with 16/44.1 pre-loaded albums. I had requested other hi-rez replacement files or a download credit to use on actual hi-rez albums. I also requested a refund if they could or would not do this. Here is the response:

Thank you for reaching out to us here at Pono!

We understand your frustration.

At the moment, not all albums within the PonoMusic catalog are available in High Resolution 24bit. We use the highest resolution available from the labels and artists. A great deal of the albums from the 1980's onward were mixed to Sony PCM16010/1630, the industry standard for CD quality recording at 44.1/16, and these mixes are all that are available today unless the artist goes back into the studio and remixes from the ground up. If this does happen we will then make it available for Pono users. For some of the Signature Series players, there are only 44.1/16 files available.

Unfortunately, since your campaign pledge is considered a donation, we cannot issue a refund at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please contact us with any further questions or concerns.
Mahalo,
The Pono Support Team

I finally heard back from Pono Support about my player coming with 16/44.1 pre-loaded albums. I had requested other hi-rez replacement files or a download credit to use on actual hi-rez albums. I also requested a refund if they could or would not do this. Here is the response:

Thank you for reaching out to us here at Pono!

We understand your frustration.

At the moment, not all albums within the PonoMusic catalog are available in High Resolution 24bit. We use the highest resolution available from the labels and artists. A great deal of the albums from the 1980's onward were mixed to Sony PCM16010/1630, the industry standard for CD quality recording at 44.1/16, and these mixes are all that are available today unless the artist goes back into the studio and remixes from the ground up. If this does happen we will then make it available for Pono users. For some of the Signature Series players, there are only 44.1/16 files available.

Unfortunately, since your campaign pledge is considered a donation, we cannot issue a refund at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please contact us with any further questions or concerns.
Mahalo,
The Pono Support Team

"We understand your frustration" "We apologize for the inconvenience." Priceless! All those great words that came out of Neil's mouth 6 months ago now come down to stock customer relations rhetoric.

At least they also included the stock customer relations rhetoric of "at this time". Which means if you complain loudly enough they will give you a refund. (why say at this time, if you can't do it under some other conditions).

Great conspiracy theory, but false. The Sony products play DSD and PCM files just fine. (See message above).
Next rumor.... ?

True. The Sony stuff plays many formats (in STEREO) HiRez. This newer Sony link explains it all better and shows more equipment. No 5.1 players at this point. :(

http://discover.store.sony.com/High-Resolution-Audio/

I am just wondering where PONO will fit in with this coverage of the marketplace. Dr. AIX (Mark Waldrep) has been writing a series of interesting articles on this subject over the past few weeks, and as an initial kickstart contributor to the Pono does not have a very optimistic view of where that particular project is going.

Anyone interested should be on his email newsletter mailing list. It's been excellent these past weeks.

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?cat=45

This is why you never let yourself be the first buyer of anything. Let the other suckers spend their time and money before you do. I would never, ever purchase anything from Neil Young on faith. He has promised and released so much screwed up stuff that it is insane. Pono will never work, you can just look at that stupid player and see that. Steve Jobs had it right and if he were still alive Apple would be in the Hi_Rez business now. And making it work too.

This is why you never let yourself be the first buyer of anything. Let the other suckers spend their time and money before you do. I would never, ever purchase anything from Neil Young on faith. He has promised and released so much screwed up stuff that it is insane. Pono will never work, you can just look at that stupid player and see that. Steve Jobs had it right and if he were still alive Apple would be in the Hi_Rez business now. And making it work too.

I have faith that the player will be fine, based on everything I've read. The store is my concern. The initial promise of all this hi-rez that is turning into lots of CD quality is troubling. There are other options for purchasing files that will play on the Pono player. I just didn't appreciate the bait and switch. At the end of the day, I don't regret buying the player, I will make good use of it. Whether I buy any additional music from the Pono Store is another story.

Also, I have EAS (Early Adopter Syndrome). Just come look at my collection of Laserdiscs, HD DVD's, etc. On the plus side, if I hadn't been an early adopter of surround discs, I wouldn't have the hundreds of DVDA's and SACD's that I bought at or below list price back in the day.

Back