Pono Music - high-quality music initiative from Neil Young

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why you never let yourself be the first buyer of anything. Let the other suckers spend their time and money before you do. I would never, ever purchase anything from Neil Young on faith. He has promised and released so much screwed up stuff that it is insane. Pono will never work, you can just look at that stupid player and see that. Steve Jobs had it right and if he were still alive Apple would be in the Hi_Rez business now. And making it work too.

I like to imagine that now that Apple has terminated the iPod Classic that they will release a new HiRes playing model next week with improved DACs (because the old ones were not awesome), but I suspect it's just dreaming. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to owning a portable player with high quality DACs (Pono) for playing back just plain wav files or whatever. I think the converters are at least as important as the bit rates. Wasn't planning on buying many HiRes "stereo" files anyway. But that's just me.

It is interesting to find reading Dr. AIX's daily emails that (former) QQ Member Jimby is now the V.P. at Universal in charge of their High Definition Audio program.

It really ticks me off to think that the reason he left here is because a few members gave him a hard time when he was in fact championing the DVD-A and SACD program, and it's demise was not his doing and clearly he was as annoyed as us at it's ending, probably a lot more than we were. It was his project, his baby (so to speak), yet we had to find a way to alienate him.

Let's not do the same thing to the fine people at Audio Fidelity. Please?

My Pono player comes in on Thursday. I'll get it up and running and give a report on Friday.

I like to imagine that now that Apple has terminated the iPod Classic that they will release a new HiRes playing model next week with improved DACs (because the old ones were not awesome), but I suspect it's just dreaming. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to owning a portable player with high quality DACs (Pono) for playing back just plain wav files or whatever. I think the converters are at least as important as the bit rates. Wasn't planning on buying many HiRes "stereo" files anyway. But that's just me.

The old iPod DACs were in fact quite good, as Stereophile magazine noted in the technical part of its 2003 review.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/apple-ipod-portable-music-player-measurements

The iPod's measured behavior is better than many CD players—ironic, considering that most of the time it will be used to play MP3 and AAC files, which will not immediately benefit from such good performance. But if you're willing to trade off maximum playing time against the ability to play uncompressed AIFF or WAV files, the iPod will do an excellent job of decoding them. Excellent, cost-effective audio engineering from an unexpected source. - John Atkinson

First impressions, sound is really good. Very clear with a good punch. Bass response seems good. Playing some Daft Punk on it now which has a great groove to it and it sounds pretty nice. I haven't done an A and B comparison between this and my Topping AX-1 USB DAC to see the difference but for a portable device, it sounds great. I added a 3.5 line out cable to my car stereo and can now play all my hi-res FLAC files through it without needing to burn them to a DVD-Audio. I'm listening to Heart is A Drum by Beck right now which sounds incredible. I really hope there will be DSD support for this as the more formats supported, merrier.

The unit itself is pretty nice. It's not as big as I thought it might be. It's not jean pocket portable but height wise it's no bigger than an iPhone 4s. The triangle shape is odd but I get the reasoning for that. The little trap door on the bottom for the MicroSD card is not a great design. I've had to use a pen tip to get it open. If I could've made a suggestion, I like forward and backward scrolling buttons. I know that's gen 1 iPod stuff but I like that better than having to turn on the unit to move a song forward or back as the sleep feature puts the screen to sleep with 5 minutes of inactivity. That can be changed but it's a small gripe. It would've been better to make the screen wake sensitive by touch.

The GUI is not bad. It's very basic. You toggle at the top with a finger tap or swipe to get artists, albums, songs, playlists or settings. You can select the album, artist or song by tapping on them and then either it loads the albums or songs. Another tap accesses the songs.

Now for the bad and it's really bad. The Pono Music World app is bad. I doubt I'll ever use it other than to purchase songs. It is very clunky. Unlike iTunes, you cannot tell it what specific music to load on your player. It took me about 3 hours to figure out how to get the MicroSD card to be viewable and writable on my Mac. The only way I figured it out was thanks to another Pono user who had a solution. I then just opened the card and dropped some of my hi-res folders into the card. The problem is it goes through the player and that is synched with USB 2.0. I may get a 128GB card with a SD reader option since my Mac has a SD reader slot. I loaded about 12 albums which took over 2 hours. I ended up just letting it process while I went to bed. Only having 64GB internal storage and a 64 GB card is a problem. I have over 180GB of hi res music so I guess a bigger card needs to be ordered. In general and I know this is a Beta and a Kickstarter but you're pretty much left on your own to figure this out. For instance, when you sync the player, Pono Music World tells you it is going to install a firmware update. It doesn't tell you how long this will take and to get the firmware to update you have to eject the player from your computer (similar to an iPod) and then disconnect the player from the USB cable. Only then will it install the firmware and this was after it told me the firmware loader had failed. Yet it still loaded the firmware. There's little things that needed to be fixed and improved. The sync module in general is really bad since it took me about 20 tries to get the SD card to be recognized hence why I just ditched the sync software and just drag and dropped folders into the desktop SD card icon. Things like gapless playback on the player need to be added.

Overall, I'm happy with it so far. I doubt it catches on with the mass public but it's not a bad option for audiophiles. I'm sure there will be better players brought along but if this pushes the tech and creates possibly better mastering of music then I'm all for it. For now, I'm just happy I can take high quality music with me on the go.

Firmware update today added gapless playback. I've found myself opting for the Pono over my USB DAC. Looks like I'm going to be upgrading my car speakers for Christmas too as I love playing this in the car.

Mine arrived on Monday. Very slow when copying songs. Took all day to copy about 55Gb of 25/96 FLAC to its internal 64Gb memory. I also copied more music to an external 64Gb card, much faster via direct USB copy, then moved the card to the Pono.

I've spent last couple of months preparing for it by ripping all my hi-res disc stereo tracks (previously only did the MCH tracks for my media player). I did discover that I don't need to use the Pono Music Library app to load the tracks. You can just drag and drop the album folder from hard disc to the player's folders, although it needs the files tagged with Song Title, Artist and Album name which I'd already done.

I like what I'm hearing so far. Definitely better than my iPod(s) but listened only on my Sennheiser HD650 headphones. I'm planning to use it in my car but have now packed it away in its box and its now under the Christmas tree (a present to me from my wife. She doesn't know I've pre-loaded it with songs...)

There is a newer version of the Pono World software on the J-River website, one of the fixes is faster copying speed (at least on the Mac version). It about doubled in my case.

. I'm planning to use it in my car but have now packed it away in its box and its now under the Christmas tree (a present to me from my wife. She doesn't know I've pre-loaded it with songs...)

Toooo Funny :banana: Nice one Homer :)

Drove around today listening to it with a line in cable to RCA connection that plugs into the auxiliary input of my JVC. It sounded great. Played a vinyl rip of Eric Clapton's Unplugged and it was outstanding. I dare say it sounded clearer and cleaner than the DVD-Audios I play through the system. Perhaps it's because the DAC on the Pono is stronger than the one on the JVC. I really have to upgrade my speakers in a few weeks. Already doing some scouting on Crutchfield. The gapless playback is seamless now so a live performance like Unplugged doesn't have awkward pauses. Also have to secure a larger storage card because just 64+64 is not going to cut it.

Listened to the Pono remasters of Sea Change and Harvest last night. Wow. These could rival the Blu-ray and DVD-A versions of both.

I believe Neil's high-res stuff on Pono is sourced from the same digital transfers done for DVD-A where they exist, which is why Hawks & Doves, Re-Ac-Tor, On The Beach and American Stars 'n Bars are all 176.4/24 (as they were on the DVD-A's) so I suspect the Pono version of Harvest is the same as the 2.0 mix on the DVD-A. It would be interesting to see if the stereo mix of Sea Change is sourced from the DSD master prepared for the SACD like the previous DVD-A and BluRays were.

I believe Neil's high-res stuff on Pono is sourced from the same digital transfers done for DVD-A where they exist, which is why Hawks & Doves, Re-Ac-Tor, On The Beach and American Stars 'n Bars are all 176.4/24 (as they were on the DVD-A's) so I suspect the Pono version of Harvest is the same as the 2.0 mix on the DVD-A.

In which case they really shouldn't sound different on Pono. Harvest 2.0 DVDA was 192/24 IIRC.

NEIL YOUNG Blu ray question.
I have several of the Neil Young Archive Blu rays. How do I access the hidden songs?

Ok, mike et al. I pulled the trigger on this thing, as popeye would say " I've heard alls I can stands and I can't stands no more". After hearing your comments on the pono and now auditioning my friends unit, with some sennheiser ie80 reference ear buds I just ordered one, and a set of those buds too. (Shhh don't tell the old lady, she already thinks I'm insane enough) ( and when the hell did earbuds become IEM's? ( in ear monitors?) I missed the memo on that one...

I believe Neil's high-res stuff on Pono is sourced from the same digital transfers done for DVD-A where they exist, which is why Hawks & Doves, Re-Ac-Tor, On The Beach and American Stars 'n Bars are all 176.4/24 (as they were on the DVD-A's) so I suspect the Pono version of Harvest is the same as the 2.0 mix on the DVD-A. It would be interesting to see if the stereo mix of Sea Change is sourced from the DSD master prepared for the SACD like the previous DVD-A and BluRays were.

In which case they really shouldn't sound different on Pono. Harvest 2.0 DVDA was 192/24 IIRC.

This is part of my issue with the Pono Music Store. It tells you then release date of the music but not how it was mixed or from what sources. HDTracks and Acoustic Sounds do a better job of this I think. I did have someone run the Pono 24/96 FLAC of Sea Change through Foobar and it gets a DR of 8 which is under the Blu-ray, SACD and DVD-A. Granted those are all the 5.1 versions. I haven't tried the 24/192 version. It's tough justifying another $25 to spend on an album I have in 3 other formats already. I wouldn't be surprised if these are Blu-ray ports. The definitive version of Sea Change for me is still the 5.1 Blu-ray version.

Back