Poobah - Wizard Of Psych unmarked DPLII CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john e. bogus

Here's an unmarked matrix CD that probably VERY few people know about: Poobah - Wizard Of Psych. This one was independently released in 1998 and is in DPLII. Although I've had the disc for several years, I never knew it was in surround until recently urging Jim Gustafson to release the upcoming Poobah disc as a DVD-A....his response was that he already had a surround disc released! Ok, so who the heck is Poobah? This band from eastern OH (now northwest WV) has been independently releasing music for over 30 years....I first heard of them about 10 years ago, when a huge collector of heavy metal (whose taste and opinions were trustworthy) told me that if I EVER saw one of their albums for sale, to buy it immediately, that their stuff was THAT good and THAT rare! They're in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame for being the "world's most collectable psych band" (Goldmine claims that their original albums from the 1970's are worth like $600!)....and have been continuously active and playing shows in OH and WV since like 1972. I was able to make contact with Jim and not only buy a bunch of discs from him (he's reissued all of the rare old albums on CD), but have also managed to make it to several Poobah shows (well worth the 5-6 hour drive!) in the last few years. Poobah is an old-school hard rock / heavy metal band, but one that has changed with the times and dosen't sound 'dated' at all....I can't really compare them to any other band, but I can say (along with practically everyone else who has heard this band) that Jim Gustafson is probably the best living hard rock / heavy metal guitarist on the planet right now. Although Wizard Of Psych (in my opinion) sounds more subdued than other Poobah releases (not anywhere near the number of blistering, incredible, mind-bending guitar solos found on every other Poobah release), it's a great disc, and the surround mix is worthwhile. If you want to read more information on Poobah, you can find plenty of it here: www.poobahband.com Although Monster Records has seemed to have dropped the ball with actually getting reissues of the discs onto the market, and the website they created for the band isn't all that great, you can contact Jim directly to purchase Wizard Of Psych at discrock(remove)@(takethis out)yahoo.com....he does enjoy hearing from fans, so he will respond to emails, and will gladly sell everyone Poobah merchandise directly. Be sure to tell him that I sent you all, and pick up those 70's releases while you're at it, even if they are only in stereo (Steamroller is a must-own! No collection of hard rock / heavy metal is complete without this one!). You might also want to ask that the upcoming Poobah release be mixed in surround and released as a DVD-A.....I have an advance copy of the disc (it's still being worked on....they keep going back into the studio and recording additional songs), and it's great, absolutely full of blistering guitarwork! Last but not least, for those of you who either buy Wizard OF Psych and enjoy it, or if you're just curious to hear what the band sounds like before you spend your money, I did drive to WV to tape the 1/8/05 show in quad, and will make this recording available as a future offer....

Yours Truly,
john e. bogus

Back