Porcupine Tree live Atlanta June 16th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
This review is dedicated to my best friend Michael who has now missed this band twice. He may yet redeem himself in October when PT returns to the states.

Porcupine Tree is not a jam band per se, but they jam nonethelss. They may well be written grooves and rehearsed jams, but they surely rank high in head-bobbing results they achieve. So consider giving them a listen. Hatesong had a menacingly good jam at the end by the way...

This concert was opened by John Wesley Harding who did a fine 40 minute set with a bassist and backup singer. Since PT tour guitarist John Wesley had signed my In Absentia booklet in 2002 show, I harbored the idea that I would get both John Wesley and John Wesley Harding to create an autograph anomaly for me, but I soon recovered and the notion vanished.

Before I get into PT and the show, let's catch up with all the projects Steve Wilson has a hand in. For starters, Steve is one half of Blackfield formed with former Israeli teen start Aviv Geffen and has been working and touring behind that surprisingly popular record this past year. There's No-Man (with Tim Bowness), Bass Communion (with Robert Fripp, etc), IEM (email me on this one means; Incredible Expanding Mxxxxxxk) just to name a few more offshoots. Judging by the black t-shirts surrounding me, many were attending the show as Opeth fans as Steve has also served to produce some of the Swedish death metal's work. Some of that heaviness did inform parts of the In Absentia album, according to Steve's own estimation.

Steve Wilson's mind is clearly focused on his main priority, Porcupine Tree these days. This focus shows in the new album 'Deadwing' released thru Atlantic/Lava in May 2005. The writing just keeps improving, more confident vocals mixed higher in more complex arrangements. This new material was actually arranged with 5.1 channels in mind beforehand; mixed again by surround god Elliot Scheiner, after last year's success with In Absentia winning best surround 5.1 Album Of The Year honors.

Porcupine Tree played their first Atlanta show ever at the intimate Roxy Theatre. Since it's their last stateside show for a while, I made sure I was there. Tickets were criminally cheap at a mere $15 for this show, less than what you'd pay for a souvenir sweatband at a recent Eagles concert. To the crowd's delight, PT launched right into the 9 minute opening track 'Deadwing'. From there the band would alternate new and older songs throughout the night.

I believe this order to be correct: Deadwing / Sound Of Muzak / Lazarus (European single) / Halo / Smart Kid / Hatesong / Arriving Somewhere But Not Here / Fadeaway / Burning Sky / The Start Of Something Beautiful Strip The Soul, Mellotron Scratch / Blackest Eyes/ Even Less, ENCORE: Shesmovedon / Trains

I was surprised they didn't play Shallow (designated stateside single) which had been getting fairly heavy play in rock radio circles; Glass Arm Shattering was missed as the achingly beautiful album closer. They finished on the 1-2 punch of last year's heavy Blackest Eyes and the band classic from Stupid Dream, 'Even Less'. Steve blew the words in the first verse, gave it a laugh and continued on with the second verse. The former song broke the band to a much wider rock audience in 2003; Even Less will likely always be revered as a signature tune; both are now huge touchpoints in the catalog.

Tour guitarist/vocalist John Wesley returned for this tour; Steve spotted him for the touring band while producing former Marillion vocalist Fish's - Sunsets On Empire album. When the time came to tour, John was recruited for touring to fill out the sound of Porcupine Tree's expanding arrangements. He plays his integral parts on his matching PRS (Paul Reed Smith) guitars, sings his head off and departs the stage when not required so the audience sees only the primary band in all it's glory. Reaching back across the entire PT catalog this evening, Steve announced the tune from Up The Downstair (Fadeaway) would be sung by John Wesley and annouced John was on lead guitar for another tune, so Steve is definitely smiling and sharing his stage with a chap he enjoys having on the road with them.

He thanked all the technical people, by name, involved with keeping the tour running. Perhaps a bit road weary or longing for home, they put it out there for us one last time to savor the moment and begin the pining process for the heady days of their October return to the states.

TMcD

I'm hoping that the promised 5.1 live surround system will in fact be realized for P.T.'s return in October. It was originally supposed to happen for the first time around. Dts entertainment was to sponsor the tour and provide the surround set-up for the live shows. However, just before the U. S. shows, Steve Wilson said they would forgo that until their return in October so that they could do it right.

BTW, the song John Wesley played lead guitar on was "She's Moved On".

Thanks for the exciting info; I'd not heard about the DTS involvement with the live sound! Let's wait and get it right is fine with me.

Right, it was Shesmovedon; I was struck by the fact that Steve enthusiastically announced the fact and that it was a fairly recent tune as well. He thought enough of it to re-cut it as the hidden track and then let's JW handle the lead on it!

Where did you see them this time and any other tours? I did catch them previously at Shank Hall - Milwaukee Nov 2002....

timbre4 said:
Where did you see them this time and any other tours? I did catch them previously at Shank Hall - Milwaukee Nov 2002....

I somehow missed this when it was originally posted.

So far, I've seen them 4 times, each time in Chicago:

June 4, 1999 @ Martyrs'
July 29, 2002 @ Double Door
November 17, 2002 @ Martyrs'
May 27th, 2005 @ Park West

I really hope the 5.1 surround system is realized for the October shows. If so, I might see more than one show.

Back