DTS-CD Problem making DTS CDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surroundophile

Surroundophile
Since 2002/2003
I have a problem making DTS CDs that I can't figure out, and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it.
My equipment is as follows:
legacy quad system output into Creative Labs 610 DTS converter. Converter output into my Outlaw 950 processor. Processor Rec Out into my Marantz CDR631 CD recorder. Fron 610 to processor to CD recorder is all coax digital.
The problem is this: I've been making DTS CDs for a while now with no problemes. Now, all of a sudden, the cds only playback as static.
I've changed no settings, the links are all coax, and my processor is getting a DTS signal from the 610 and decodes it fine. The CD recorder says it's getting a digital signal. Yet when I play the cd back on any DTS capable player, all I'm getting now is the DTS white noise. All cds made before were fine.
Help!

I get this problem when the volume level on the CD Recorder are not at +/- 0(zero). Do not alter the volume level or bit stream on the CD Recorder.
That's my guess.

Vinylguy4

I had a problem like this once a long time ago when CD Architect added 2 seconds of silence at the beginning of the disc. This "delay" kept the decoder from seeing the DTS signal and the decoder never activated.

Sometimes my Pioneer 578 reads a DTS-CD the same way. If I pull the power and do a hard "reboot", that takes care of it, till the next time.

Spence

Thanks vinylguy4, Jon, and spenceo for your replies. Turns out vinylguy4 was correct. My hand must have bumped the volume control; it was set to -1db.
Set it back to 0, and I was back in service. Stange how 1db of volume change could wreck such havic on a digital DTS signal.

Back