Quad 8 Liquidation?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Is it just me, or does there seem to be a glut of quad 8's being offered for sale on Ebay these days? Either people who have converted their collections to dts cd are liquidating, or a lot of people are trying to raise some extra dough for the holiday season. The past few weeks there have been dozens of quads for auction. With the exception of a rare few, they're selling at very reasonable prices. I remember not so long ago where you could expect to pay $20+ for ANY quad. Maybe dts conversions have finally taken their toll on the value of original quad 8 recordings.

I think you are correct that many have moved over to DTS CDs, as I have over the past 2 years. My last Q8 tape sold on ebay about 3 weeks ago. The winner got his Rick Wakeman Q8 along with a Ford demo Q8 he's still scratching his head about. I'm totally out of the tape game.

timbre4

Sing it with me guys !!! I have never been into Q8s, even when quad was in its prime. I guess I had always hoped for a "final solution". Who would have figured it would take another 25 or 30 years to get one ... and holy deja vu Batman, we have another competing format solution? Anyway, I would like to find one Q8 for my quad collection, just for posterity. I really want to find a nice copy of Helen Reddy, I am Woman. I don't care if it even works, as long as the cartridge and label are in good shape. There is clearly :evil: a certain irony to my owning one. I bid on a few on eBay, but they went for big bucks if you can believe that. OK guys, fess up ... who did the DTS conversion?

One of the happiest days of my life was the day I sold off my 8-track tape collection. Woo-hoo! That was 20 years ago... I never did get into Q8, they were all stereo. Still, the problems with 8-tracks have never been missed.

If it weren't for DTS conversions, I'd still be trading for reel copies of Q8 tapes... no Q8 muss or fuss, but still that 8-track sound. Warble, warble, hiss, hiss!

Anyway, I can certainly empathize with your frustration in seeing your collectibles decrease in value because of the proliferation of DTS conversions. I think you're right in your observation.

I on the other hand kept those Q8's and for the reason I felt this day would come ... the day they could be made listenable I was into the Q8 because it had better channel seperation excepting the hiss part and the worble and wow and flutter. I even looked into 8 channel reel to reel way back in the late 70's as an answer to the carts problematic issues, never did get one back then as they were to rich for my blood back then, and I was into building Street Machines ala 426 HEMI cars. But it always stayed in the back of my mind! And then I got the Tascam 388 and TAB his Fostex! I knew way back that it was possible and had some ideas but not $ or the tech do do it but that's all history now! For the most part anyway!
Rob:smokin:

I certainly understand everyone's points of view regarding the lowly quad 8 track. I also would like to get into doing the conversions myself at some point. I have many of the conversions of quad 8 material that have been done by others and I really enjoy them. But even if I did get into converting myself, I still find a certain charm to this archaic technology. Just the idea of how impractical the design of an 8-track cart is makes it appealling to me. Admittedly, even though I've rebuilt all the tapes I play, I still hold my breath that there won't be a problem every time I play one. But hiss or no hiss, there's just something fun about the idea of popping a quad cart into a classic player, or threading up a quad reel on a machine. Certainly, there are a zillion and one advantages to the digital alternative, song selectability being a major one for me, but I don't think I'll ever turn my back on the original recordings.
I've grown to have a great deal more respect for the 8-track format in recent years than I ever had for it when it was new. And after all, very few of the home made dts conversions would ever have been possible if it weren't for the quad 8. So, I think the format should be given the respect it deserves.

Same story here. I sold of a bunch of Q8's in the early '80s. Then, one day I found a bunch of them in a box in my closet, and that was when I learned about "eBay" ( 1998 ) . I listed them and they sold for a lot more than I would have ever expected. I figured, what the hell, I would never play <em>an 8 track</em> again, I did not even have a player!!! Get rid of them....

Then, the DTS conversion option surfaced. I sold my "gold" CD collection, and bought SurCode, etc and started to do a few reels that I still had. Next thing I knew, I was back on eBay BUYING!!! UGH!

Who would have thought???

Now, when I record a Q8 and listen to the wav files, I am astounded by the fidelity that I perceived was not there that is. These things actually DO sound pretty good. They were recorded at <em>twice</em> the speed of the lowly cassette, and it is amazing to me that with a WinGib and a foil tape, you can make something like this that is 25 years old actually play!

You have to give some credit to the format here.......

:-jon

For years the lowly eight track was the only way to get your own music in an automobile. Then came the cassette. For a long time the cassette, originally called the compact cassette, a name that was carried over to the compact disc, was not even a serious competitor. It was worse at jamming than the eight track, and the fidelity was poor. The cases were made from cheap plastic that like the eight track, would warp in the southern sun. But the smaller cassette absolutely couldn't take it. When they came out with better heads for cassette tape players, and warp resistant plastic, they quickly overtook the lowly eight. However, I have always thought that if the same improvements were applied to the eight track, which they weren't, that the eight track would have been a formidable format. As it was, the record companies wanted to kill it, and it was all but dead when the CD came along. Along with it, died the 4 track reel, and the turntable, with the latter hanging on a little longer. Of course, we quaddies lovingly maintained all of these formats that were quad equipped. Incidently the turntable never really died, it was still the format of choice in discotesques for a long time, and has always been available. It has made a minor comeback, with cartridges and stylii showing up in Radio Shack, and never having really disappeared in the electronic shops. Anyway, as others have said, many excellent quad recordings have been lifted from eight track, so it does deserve a little respect.

The Quadfather

Back