DTS-CD quad tapes into my mac and down to dts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

roundhousequad

Hello i'm new to the forum. I need some help
I have alittle over 300 quad tape and around 50 lps and would like to put them on dts formated disk.
I have a imac 400 dvd and have found a maudio quattro usb box four inputs.
but i know nothing about the software part somthing that can deal with four tracks clean it up and save it to disk in dts. all my stuff has been in storage since 79 when i went into the navy now that i'm out would like to listen to some real music again if i can do this to save the tapes.
thank you for any help.

Hmmm, I haven't run into anyone doing DTS conversions on their Mac. I'm sure it can be done (and probably easier than on a PC!) It's just that I don't have the experience to offer you suggestions.

Hi Roadhouse,
I'm assuming some or all of your quad tapes are quadraphonic 8-tracks. One big word of warning. If these tapes have been stored since 79, DO NOT PLAY THEM UNTIL YOU REBUILD THEM! Foam pads rot and the glue on the foil splice holding the continuous loop together turns to dust and the foil splice fails. This is more than a nuisance. Bad foam pads will result in very poor audio reproduction. A foil splice failing during playback will very likely result in the loose tape being pulled out of the cart and twisted around your capstan, ruining the tape.
It's a simple process to rebuild the 8-tracks. I've got instructions on my website. If you need to take a look check it out at; <a href="http://keepontrackin.mybravenet.com/answers.htm" target="top">keepontrackin.mybravenet.com/answers.htm</a>

thanks for the heads up I have inspected some and found they need new pads and tape splices I have A LOT of eight track tapes to pull good parts from. but was thinking of using open real deck to tape the quad 8 tapes that way i can tape align each one for best play back. i will look at your site I will need to find the pads for some of them that have crumbled this happens to speaker foam to i replace them also.
Jim

If you need encoder software for you MAC ckeck out KIND OF LOAD Audio They make a software encoder for Macs, And What Kind of Reel are you talking abot if its a Quad reel Won't work unless you do a lot of modifiying and i do mean alot You might be better off doing what Tab And I did get an 8 Track machine like Tabs Fostex 8 and change the Heads and capstan or like I did with the Tascam 388 and also changed the heads and modify the speed control board resistors to get it to work , or just get a good Akai cr-80d-ss q8 machine , or hire one of us to do the conversions for you might be cheaper in the long run and most have been done already by one of us! Tab, Jon,Cai, Etc. Who did I leave out... well just drop in an speak up ! I'll see if i can find the link to KIND OF LOAD , It;s posted somwhere in the dts section also !
0] Rob

well i have alot of stuff akai (2)1730dss cr8doss 4000ds and a harmon kardon 8+ two jvc 4ed-1205 one jvc4ed-1203 a silvania cq-3737 the harmon kardon is a vary nice deck as is the akai crdoss. ialso have two dbx 128 cuopled for quad. that i was going to use to cleen them up but I like this way better.
thanks for the offer to do it for me but sad to say I live on VA disability, thanks to the last gulf war and my brother is in a VA in cal dying from it to. so this is somthing that i can do without haveing to walk much. I have worked on vacum tape drives done alot of screw and amplitude adjustments would like to find some alignment tapes for both the 8track deck and the reel to reel . the list of other quad stuff i have is long i have been colecting everthing i could find at thrift stores we have one that has about a1000 old 8tracks to rob parts from for my quad cases. some of the stuff i have i will be getting rid of when i figuer out what i don't need along with some of the quad tapes that i have two our three of.
Thanks you guys a vary good and patiant with new bees. Jimbo

I wouldn't go with the dbx to do any cleaning up I use Cool Edit Pro Software and recording interface , has great N.R. section once you learn how it works it 's great Do all the cleaning in the digital domain , then if you don't like like it you just go back a re-do it! The software is a bit expensive , Not sure what they are asking but it's got to be close to the same price as Surcode for the pc. Well last time I looked it was anyway ! Alignment tapes are not cheap either.
Rob

Thanks rob I will look into the cool edit pro. the dbx units sell on Ebay for enough to buy the software.
the quatrro unit is about 250.00 it is usb and it looks real good for the input on a mac.
I have been looking at the sony five disk dvd unit to play the dts on it has a 500 watt amp in it. there is one at the pawn shop for 125.00.
now to see if my iomega zip cd 650 will do dts and some software to burn dts. if it wont i will upgrade the drive. plus i'm looking at 10.2 on the mac
Jimbo

Back