Quadio bundle #4. Let the speculation begin!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technically two mixes, i guess (?) but while they are not the same, they aren't radically different enough in my estimation that you'd need both the DTS-CD and the MultiCh SACD/DVD-A 🤷🏻‍♀️

i posted some waveforms and prattled on a bit about it on here a few years ago (can't find the thread at the moment 😅 ) but i don't think many folks were too bothered so we kinda just moved on.
I hate it when a (potentially good) prattling session fizzles out...especially when you happen to be the instigator! In a more serious vein though FredBlue, during the time I've been visiting this forum I've come to appreciate your input as well as many others' here - thanks for the expertise as well as informed opinions that you and others contribute.

Concerning future candidates for Quadio bundle(s) though - I would love to see Jefferson Starship's Dragon Fly and Spitfire (as well as Hot Tuna's Burgers) at some point, J. Geils Band's Bloodshot, and a special request for Neil Young's Harvest (as apparently many believe the channel assignments on the DVD-A are reversed in error.)

Last edited:
I am a little surprised there are not more rock fans asking for the James Gang Miami album considering Tommy Bolin's involvement. He wrote or co-wrote all of the songs, and was the band's guitarist at the time. I listened to it today for the first time in a long while and enjoyed it.
I'd enjoy that one as well; I've heard the Quad and even though there's no big "hits" on it AFAIK, it's a much better album than I first thought.

Tommy Bolin also played guitar on that Billy Cobham Spectrum album in Quad/MC; heck I wish a couple of his solo albums would be in MC.

I'd enjoy that one as well; I've heard the Quad and even though there's no big "hits" on it AFAIK, it's a much better album than I first thought.

Tommy Bolin also played guitar on that Billy Cobham Spectrum album in Quad/MC; heck I wish a couple of his solo albums would be in MC.

Put me down for both of those albums featuring Tommy Bolin.

Would folks be up in arms about a "Chicago Greatest Hits" Quadio release? I haven't asked ForagingRhino about this, and have no clue as to if Rhino has even thought about it, but I was thinking the other day as I was listening to some Chicago II that it's such a shame so many folks missed out on the box set, and I know there is a possibility it might get repressed, but a single disc Quadio GH, maybe modified to include the album tracks instead of the single tracks, might be a good release for everyone who missed out on the box.

Good idea? Or would that start a large round of complaining about "releasing the same stuff over and over"?
The "Greatest Hits" missed a lot of their best hits. Lowdown for one. I see no reason to re-release something that was already in the Quadio set. It was redundant anyway, it's one SQ that I never even bothered to purchase.

If they were to do something like that perhaps a compilation that includes all the singles, or album versions of all the singles. Or better yet just repress the box set if copies are no longer available.

Just finished listening to my two fabulous DTS Discs of Don Henley's THE END OF THE INNOCENCE and the Eagles live concert HELL FREEZES OVER so the time is ripe for the EAGLES two QUADIO albums of almost 50 years ago to make their long awaited RHINO BD~A QUADIO debut.

How 'bout it Foraging Rhino?

Would folks be up in arms about a "Chicago Greatest Hits" Quadio release? I haven't asked ForagingRhino about this, and have no clue as to if Rhino has even thought about it, but I was thinking the other day as I was listening to some Chicago II that it's such a shame so many folks missed out on the box set, and I know there is a possibility it might get repressed, but a single disc Quadio GH, maybe modified to include the album tracks instead of the single tracks, might be a good release for everyone who missed out on the box.

Good idea? Or would that start a large round of complaining about "releasing the same stuff over and over"?

Absolutely. I'm a casual Chicago fan at best. I have the files on my PC, to make a Greatest Hits comp for the car, but I was going to throw in "If You Leave me now" from X, and "I'm a Man" from CTA. Maybe Bonus tracks on the Quadio?? :D

Why not an expanded double album of best of.

I love Bark, in part, because of some of the oddball tracks ("Thunk", for example). Would love for it to be released.
Agreed. I always wondered if I'm the only soul who appreciates Bark because of the quirky tracks also in addition to the more normally structured ones. Speaking of quirky - I imagine Never Argue with a German If You're Tired or European Song with its background chorus vocals (a Mellotron I assume?) would be pretty interesting with a nice discrete quad mix. I'm with you, Sunra, Fizzywiggs41, and others...more Grunt releases please.

although i can't help wondering if a more fleshed out more career-spanning Chicago Blu-ray with Atmos mixes as well as Quad might be more fitting.. 🤔 ..a Quadio of the Greatest Hits compilation is still a great idea! 🤩 put me down for a copy! 🙏

as for "the same stuff" whining, i too wouldn't grumble if Rhino were to do new Quadio Blu-ray's of Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" & "Best Of Bread" at some point as well, those two WEA Quad gems definitely deserve a 2nd go around. i mean, have you seen the prices for the "Spectrum" AF SACD lately!? 😳 sheesh!! 💎🥳

I hate it when a (potentially good) prattling session fizzles out...especially when you happen to be the instigator! In a more serious vein though FredBlue, during the time I've been visiting this forum I've come to appreciate your input as well as many others' here - thanks for the expertise as well as informed opinions that you and others contribute.

Concerning future candidates for Quadio bundle(s) though - I would love to see Jefferson Starship's Dragon Fly and Spitfire (as well as Hot Tuna's Burgers) at some point, J. Geils Band's Bloodshot, and a special request for Neil Young's Harvest (as apparently many believe the channel assignments on the DVD-A are reversed in error.)
ahh.. glad you enjoy my prattling, peloton! 🤗

ps. good call on Tuna Burgers.. 😋 yum 🤤 that's a seriously scarce ol' Quad, a Q8 tape only release in v. limited numbers, i predict a Quadio Blu of Burgers would be 'fast Oppo food' and fly out the door quicker than you can say "Flame Grilled Whopper"..! ❤️‍🔥👀😅😂

ahh.. glad you enjoy my prattling, peloton! 🤗

ps. good call on Tuna Burgers.. 😋 yum 🤤 that's a seriously scarce ol' Quad, a Q8 tape only release in v. limited numbers, i predict a Quadio Blu of Burgers would be 'fast Oppo food' and fly out the door quicker than you can say "Flame Grilled Whopper"..! ❤️‍🔥👀😅😂
I’m a huge fan of Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna, having seen them live at the Fillmore East multiple times back in the day. Of course, this means that I would be all in for anything and everything from their respective catalogs. I don’t think, however, that Rhino would be releasing more Starship anytime soon given the fact that they opened their new series with a Starship disc.

Second the request earlier for more from the Grunt catalog. “Dragonfly” would indeed be awesome, as well as “Burgers”, and let’s not forget “Spitfire”. And if Airplane/Starship alumi have control of “Volunteers”, welll 🥰

The "Greatest Hits" missed a lot of their best hits. Lowdown for one. I see no reason to re-release something that was already in the Quadio set. It was redundant anyway, it's one SQ that I never even bothered to purchase.

If they were to do something like that perhaps a compilation that includes all the singles, or album versions of all the singles. Or better yet just repress the box set if copies are no longer available.

I would be interested in a Chicago box of quadio's reissue .
I missed out on the set initially .

Second the request earlier for more from the Grunt catalog. “Dragonfly” would indeed be awesome, as well as “Burgers”, and let’s not forget “Spitfire”. And if Airplane/Starship alumi have control of “Volunteers”, welll 🥰

Well Volunteers would be with Sony , as it's with RCA/Sony now.
But 'Bark' , and 'Sunfighter' are viable requests , both are on the Grunt label .

I'd be generally against a straight single-disc reissue of Chicago IX (Chicago's Greatest Hits) when so many other quad titles still languish in the vaults.

What I would be in favour of, and I know this goes outside the Quadio format, is an expanded Greatest Hits, or maybe two volumes, one for the Columbia years, (Chicago Transit Authority through Chicago XIV) and one for the Warner years (Chicago 16) and beyond that ticks (most of) the following boxes:
  • Original quad and stereo mixes mastered by a "name brand" mastering engineer - I know a guy in the UK who's shit-hot at this
  • New Atmos mixes of the same tracks - most of these are already done for the The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning compilation available in lossy format on Apple Music etc.
  • For the Columbia years at least, new quad mixes of the material from Chicago XI, Hot Streets, Chicago 13, and Chicago XIV in the style and spirit of Wayne Tarnowski's original quad mixes.
  • 5.1 mixes done for the DVD-As of the Chicago II, Chicago V, and Chicago X albums as bonus tracks (newly remastered without peak limiting)
  • Bonus video content - Rhino was apparently preparing a DVD called Scrapbook 10 or 15 years ago that ended up being cancelled, and it was slated to include things like the 8mm home movies that Robert Lamm shot in Central Park in 1971 that served as the inspiration for the lyrics to Saturday in the Park. Let's have some of this stuff!
That's something I could get behind.

Back