Quadraphonic stereo receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a quad expert, but I believe that the "quadradial" output was marantz's equivalent to the MPX OUT found on most quad receivers (well, my Toshiba has a MPX OUT). This outputted a non-demodulated FM signal (ie - the FM mono signal) and was meant to allow for a 4-channel FM demodulator to be used once a standard was reached (but this never happened). This would allow users to use their existing FM tuner and they would only have to buy the demodulator and hook it into a 4 channel input.

James

Correct. That was the jack for a Discrete Quad FM adapter.

As far as a Quad FM standard, one was approved that allowed for multiple surround FM systems - including discrete. But the approval came so late that Quad itself was dead by then. So the adapters never came to market.

>>I'm not a quad expert, but I believe that the "quadradial" output was marantz's equivalent to the MPX OUT found on most quad receivers (well, my Toshiba has a MPX OUT). This outputted a non-demodulated FM signal (ie - the FM mono signal) and was meant to allow for a 4-channel FM demodulator to be used once a standard was reached (but this never happened). This would allow users to use their existing FM tuner and they would only have to buy the demodulator and hook it into a 4 channel input.

If you are looking for a quad receiver, I checked yesterday and there were no fewer than four Sansui variomatrix QRX-X001 receivers in varying conditions. Lots of manuals for the same too.
Is it me or do they all seem to be for sale right now -- along with all that software.
Marc

Back