• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Queensryche - EMPIRE [DVD-A]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DVD-A of Queensryche - EMPIRE

• Total voters

salsdali

800 Club - QQ All-Star
the more I listen to this 5.1 the more impressed I am, and I've been listening to this album for the last 30 years since it came out.

blabbermouth.net said:
In a June 2019 interview, former vocalist Geoff Tate announced his intentions to perform the entire album live in 2020 to celebrate the 30th anniversary. He also said that there will be a new 30th anniversary edition box set.

Last edited:

salsdali

800 Club - QQ All-Star
I voted 8, love the disc, but surround is weak, still better than stereo, turning up loud of course makes it better.
actually it's the mixing (James Barton) /authoring (Bob Ludwig) of this disc IMO that indeed makes it sound better the louder it's played.

Instead of the usual brickwall which of course you can hear better because it's louder this disc has each speaker/instrument mixed in a way that the louder it is the more it separates and becomes discrete. It's almost like each instrument/ vocal has it's own separate volume control even though it's played at one total volume. It's very unusual IMO and I like that.

cranked up I've never heard certain words/sounds/effects or instruments like I do with this disc.

Last edited:

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Here's a list of James Barton's credits (and he's not even listed in the Surround Engineer polls, wha??)

an egregious oversight! 🧐 😉

more seriously, he wouldn't be on the list unless i was made aware of it/him doing surround mixes and tbh i have been remiss in updating the lists but Garry (HomerJAU ) has kindly been taking up the slack and done the most recent additions.

its great that you've highlighted this because the bottom line is the lists rely upon QQ member submissions, the more people chip in with information the better the lists will be.

otherwise its just little old me checking every release for a credit and while i own this DVD-A i haven't played it in many years and i honestly don't recall a thing about it in 5.1, least of all who did the mix but i shall rectify that this week and pull it off the shelf for a long overdue refresher!

just having a wee snoop around in his own website's credits, this is seemingly his only specifically mentioned 5.1 remix to date, do you know of any others?

23D2BEF3-E463-4E37-94E5-D5FB0B889DE3.jpeg

Group builder