Question about 5.1 Entertainment DTS CDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Maybe Tad can answer this.

When the first DTS CDs were released, they were mostly reissues of '70s quad material. I would asume that the original quad masters were used. Right?

Second, what were some of the titles that they had received the rights to release that did not get released. I thought at one time there were supposed to be 40 or so Columbia titles done.

Third, on the new stuff, like Gaucho and Sting, how were these multichannel masters created?

I think many members would be interested in hearing about the evolution of the 5.1 Entertainent DTS CDs....

:-jon

also I would like to know if there are going to be any more DTS CDs released
ron

I believe DTS CDs as such are dead (not in this group though).

The new contenders for surround sound are DVD-A and SACD.

What puzzles me is the DVD-A Queen release is made by DTS Entertainment, acting more like a specialty label.

It does include a 24/96 DTS mix in the DVD Video area plus a 24/95 stereo mix, probably a repurpose of the new multichannels :-(

I don't know what the strategy is but DTS has succesfully kept mindshare with music releases. Good for them.

Regards.

Jon said:
Third, on the new stuff, like Gaucho and Sting, how were these multichannel masters created?

I said:
This is the way I understand it, if there is anybody here that knows better, then by all means correct me. The multi-track masters were created when the groups went into the studio to record the albums. After they recorded all of the seperate tracks (I'm not sure how many tracks they recorded for Gaucho, 48?) they mixed the tracks down into how ever many tracks they needed. The same time they are doing that, they place the sound where they want it. For example, guitars in the right channel, bass in the left, vocals are usually in the left and right channel so it sounds like they are coming from the middle, and so on. Back then it would have been mixed down to 2 tracks, for stereo. In the days of Quad they would have mixed it down to 4 tracks. To make the DTS 5.1 masters, they took the original multi-track masters and mixed it down to 6 tracks.
Brian

Jon, as far as the the quad material is concerned, we did very lttle to alter anything at all. Basically fudge the center from a front mix, derive the sub. There is an instanced or 2 where something had to get toyed with as in Days of Future Passed. All the Moodies Quad tapes had problems with over modulation except 7th Sojourn. With the 70's mediums, almost unnoticeable even in the reels. I remember Brad calling and being so ticked as we needed material out there and these were gonna be a pain. He had me get the reels out and check certain spots in one channel, and sure enough it was there(one is EGBDF last song, Pinder is breaking up in one channel). That is why we only got 2 Moodies out, we were going to do them all. We had an opportunity to go back into the masters and fix them, but that was a bit costly and soon after that it was apparent we were going to be fighting to make any cash at this for quite a while. There were some titles left on the table as CBS came back with higher royalty rates in the second batch, probably to do exactly what happened, make it seem unprofitable. Patricia went ahead and did the Abraxas and she picked the Johnny Mathis, the only one i had little say in, and that title will probably never make $. I think she liked that era though and wanted it out. There were some titles after getting them, we did not think would make anything for many years and got shelved. I think a Minnie Ripperton and Panama Red were 2 of those. Brad liked to exaggerate a bit in how many titles he would get out there, and he would announce everything we would ask for knowing some would not show up or have problems. One we asked for was Chase and we ended up with the first side twice, that kind of stuff went on a bit. Record companies are sloppy and that is being nice. With CBS we were not able to get a few mega stars, but most of the material they have rights to do, and i bet we see more in SACD soon. Too easy for them not to crank them out. They have done all their storage correct and it is all available unlike some labels. DTS would like to be a player now in this game, Patricia(HDS) has called it quits for new titles. DTS is not going to get a lot because the labels are holding on to material to do it themselves and the signatures to get are unreal. I know where there is a ton of material done from radio shows in great quad by an engineer doing the shows in the 70's, and we were going to try and put a few out, just the dead ones, and put royalties away somewhere to pay off the rights holders to the material if they showed up. We never got far enough before it started falling apart and then Brad got sick. Would have been fun though!! Tad

I was pleased to find a DTS track on the Eagles "Hotel California" disc, in spite of it not having been advertised. DTS needs to be on DVD Audio for those of us who don't have DVD Audio players and want something better than Dolby AC3.

The Quadfather

Back