Question about PS3 connectivity

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I'm about to jump into Blu ray and my friends tell me the PS3 is the way to go as the best player and one which can be updated unlike the older profile ones.

However......I'm running a legacy system with a Sansui 9001. That means no optical, digital, or HDMI ports, just RCA. So, how do I connect a PS3 to it?
I understand the hdmi cable will go to my LCD but what about sound? Are there analog outs on the Sony that I can run into a tape loop on the Sansui and synthesize surround?
I am playing with a Toshiba HD3 and find that I can get sound this way and while its not the correct 5.1 it sounds good to me. My buddy tells me on the Sony PS3 if you connect the HDMI cable it disables its audio out connecters.
And which PS3 decodes SACD? The new 40G? Or the 80 and 60G?

Anyone here have any experiance doing this?

Thanks

Hi,
Thanks for the answers! Is the BB adaptor used to get 5.1 sound from the hdmi cable to separate analog connections?

Also what it is I would like to know is whether you can get stereo sound out of the PS3 rcas while connecting the hdmi to an LCD.

I can see that there is no way I will get rid of my oppo and lose dvda and sacd playback.

Jeff

Back