R. Crumb

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I wouldn't know what passes for a head shop these days. But the ones I visited in the 70's & 80's certainly had some eclectic merchandise. I mean, it wasn't like they were all the same; tobacco/magazine shops about the size of a dime, but with a flair toward counter-culture, to sprawling back-alley basement caves filled with all sorts of eye candy & the smell of much incense burned. Hookahs, water pipes, books on pot cultivation, (remember A Child's Garden of Grass?) ...and of course the ever present underground comics. Here's the CGOG cover I remember from way back, although I think it was printed with different covers over the years. But this is the one that "we" had. It was passed around our group of fiends -er I mean friends- so much I'm not sure who actually bought it. Before marriage and the draft, my place was where every one partied and roommates came and went.
View attachment 72001View attachment 72001View attachment 72001
I have that book! More correctly, my dad found it in my room when liviing at home & promptly discarded it. So, I bought another copy that I have to this day.

I have that book! More correctly, my dad found it in my room when liviing at home & promptly discarded it. So, I bought another copy that I have to this day.

Always KNEW you were a 'REBEL CHILD," SW!

R.d08980d002f7bfb29b39c83efd7588d2

Underground comic books were a blast in the 70s and Crumb was a true pioneer and great artist. Loved anything by Crumb, The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, and The Checkered Demon. The latter was one crazy ass horny mofo fo sho!!!
Never heard/saw The Checkered Demon. But now I must research...

Well I wouldn't know what passes for a head shop these days. But the ones I visited in the 70's & 80's certainly had some eclectic merchandise. I mean, it wasn't like they were all the same; tobacco/magazine shops about the size of a dime, but with a flair toward counter-culture, to sprawling back-alley basement caves filled with all sorts of eye candy & the smell of much incense burned. Hookahs, water pipes, books on pot cultivation, (remember A Child's Garden of Grass?) ...and of course the ever present underground comics. Here's the CGOG cover I remember from way back, although I think it was printed with different covers over the years. But this is the one that "we" had. It was passed around our group of fiends -er I mean friends- so much I'm not sure who actually bought it. Before marriage and the draft, my place was where every one partied and roommates came and went.
View attachment 72001View attachment 72001View attachment 72001
My copy is stored away somewhere. It had the statue of liberty blindfolded and her scales were . . . you know.

Never heard/saw The Checkered Demon. But now I must research...

S Clay Wilson's Checkered Demon occasionally made a presence in his very early work. But he did put out 3 Comics dedicated solely to one his favourite reaccurring characters The Checkered Demon.

However his most noteworthy work is with his portrayal of early (British) Pirates on the high seas .

Here's a little peek ;

20211001_114326.jpg

And another peek at the "Will Sin" strip that they say "Blew The Church Doors Off of America" , as the guys in
The Zap Collective were always pushing the envelope one step beyond each other in underground comic satire.

20211001_114353.jpg

BTW There are 3 Volumes available of S Clay Wilson 's Underground Comic Strips

20211001_115444.jpg

Sadly. S Clay Wilson's biggest DEMON was his fight with alcohol . The Demon Rum .

On a dreary San Francisco night in 2008 November 01 , Wilson decided to walk home from an Art Gallery , quite drunk.
He was either severely mugged or just fell and smacked his head, causing brain damage that slowly took away his ability to draw and compose stories for his strips.
The Doctor said it was major alcohol abuse thru the years and was now at a stage whereby he would slowly lose all his mental faculties.
He recovered somewhat a year later , and drew again for a time, but it was too late , the damage was already too late , slow and permanent, a demensia type because of his years of alcohol abuse...
and finally worsened to become bedridden.

He finally passed away this year , February 07,2021..

But he leaves behind a large body of incredulous comic strips .

Sadly. S Clay Wilson's biggest DEMON was his fight with alcohol . The Demon Rum .

On a dreary San Francisco night in 2008 November 01 , Wilson decided to walk home from an Art Gallery , quite drunk.
He was either severely mugged or just fell and smacked his head, causing brain damage that slowly took away his ability to draw and compose stories for his strips.
The Doctor said it was major alcohol abuse thru the years and was now at a stage whereby he would slowly lose all his mental faculties.
He recovered somewhat a year later , and drew again for a time, but it was too late , the damage was already too late , slow and permanent, a demensia type because of his years of alcohol abuse...
and finally worsened to become bedridden.

He finally passed away this year , February 07,2021..

But he leaves behind a large body of incredulous comic strips .
I had a friend who was a world class , classical guitarist. One of the best in the world. He ruined himself in a very similar fashion.😢

I had a friend who was a world class , classical guitarist. One of the best in the world. He ruined himself in a very similar fashion.😢

I'm sure we all know at least one , (if not more) person who bit the dust because of their uncontrollable booze problem. The biggest problem is that it's so socially acceptable to over drink and get drunk. And most people who overconsume alcohol don't realize it's a problem until it's too late.
🥴🤮🤒

Back