Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Unveils 2024 Nominees

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Billboard article

The 2024 Rock Hall nominees are: Queen of Hip-Hop Soul Mary J. Blige; powerhouse singer-songwriter Mariah Carey; half-century-plus pop icon Cher; roots rock jam band Dave Matthews Band; hip-hop pioneers Eric B. & Rakim; stadium rock hitmakers Foreigner; arena-filling guitar (and talk box) pro Peter Frampton; alt hard rockers Jane’s Addiction; funky R&B legends Kool & the Gang; rock standard bearer Lenny Kravitz; Britpop poster boys Oasis; alt pop iconoclast Sinéad O’Connor; metal god Ozzy Osbourne; sophisticated R&B purveyors Sade; and alt hip-hop progenitors A Tribe Called Quest.

Huh. I'll be damned. Several comments from me...

• Not a Mariah Carey fan at all, but shocked she's not already in the HOF
  • Dave Matthews - he belongs, IMO.
  • Foreigner - a sentamental favorite of mine. Belong, IMO
  • Peter Frampton - another incredible talent, belongs. IMO
  • Ozzy. Come on. lol Put him in.
Not too many comments on others, I'm indifferent. Though, Lenny Kravitz? I love his older music, but no way he belongs. IMO of course.
Cher? No way.
Sinead? Possibly, I think she was super.
Kool/Gang? Meh
Oasis? Meh

I stopped caring about the whole mess. It's all political, and they should just change the name to 'Recorded Music Hall of Fame', and make wings with the different genre's of music, Rock and Roll being one. I would wager that over 50% of the people in there do not classify as true Rock and Roll. (I am not saying the do not deserve to be in there, I am just saying that the name of the place is wrong)

It's a strong group of artists/bands. As Jon said, some aren't rock music.

Dave Matthews is the only one I'm an avid listener, and really just the first few albums + the lillywhite sessions. I like Ozzy's solo stuff but don't really seek it out. Many of the bands I've had an album or two I liked and that was it. Kravitz was huge for that one album, if being honest I'm not sure I've heard anything else of his. He kinda fell off the map?

DMB is the only slam dunk IMO, lots of album sales and one of the top touring bands for decades. "True" musicians too, even though their style of music isn't really my favorite their execution of it is on such a high level it forced itself into my collection. Santana would be another artist who performs music outside my normal interests but is so accomplished it forced me to take notice.

Reactions: GOS
Cher? No way.
She sold a lot of records across a few albums and is known by most people who don't even listen to her 'music'. It wouldn't surprise me she got inducted in part due to her well known backstory with Sonny and notoriety establishing autotune as a hip thing to force into our ears.

She sold a lot of records across a few albums and is known by most people who don't even listen to her 'music'. It wouldn't surprise me she got inducted in part due to her well known backstory with Sonny and notoriety establishing autotune as a hip thing to force into our ears.
I'm a big Cher fan, and totally know about her background. I just cannot fathom her getting in.

Cher started out singing on Phil Spector sessions. That’s pretty rock ‘n roll. And she has outlasted every one of those people. Almost all dead, and all finished professionally.

Back