R.I.P Nik Turner - Hawkwind Legend

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first ever album was Hawkwind's "In Search Of Space" an album for Xmas 1971 (on cassette!) I still love it to this day (were the Quad mix rumours true?), that was my introduction to Nik Turner's Sax playing. The only time I saw him play was on "The Hall Of The Mountain Grill" Tour, in Watford, a great gig I still remember - the venue expected everybody to remain seated! I have Nik Turner's Sphynx - Xitintoday from 1978, crazy, eclectic music. Sad to hear of his passing. RIP Nik.

RIP Nik the Mighty Thunder Rider. I met him when he came to Cleveland on the Space Gypsy tour. He was very gracious. I thought he was a very entertaining showman and I liked his sax and flute playing. He helped write some cool hard driving tunes like Brainstorm and Master of the Universe.

Been a Hawkwind fan since the seventies. So sad to hear Nik Turner has passed. Coincidentally (or possibly by way of synchronicity) I've recently been reading Joe Bank's excellent book, "Hawkwind, Days of the Underground".

From the book there's an interview with Nik about the Isle of Wight festival in 1970 where he talks about drinking a pint of orange juice which turned out to be spiked with California Sunshine acid: "I was bombed out on LSD and dressed up in weird clothing--a pair of trousers made of purple leather with silver stars and moons all over them, and a fringe jacket. And I painted myself silver all over..." The good ole daze, indeed.

Just listening now to Steven Wilson's excellent Warrior On The Edge Of Time surround mix, with Nik Turner's "unique" sax sounds blaring away from the rear.

That reminds me, wasn't it rumoured a while ago that Steven Wilson had also remixed 3 other Hawkwind albums (Quark onwards), but unfortunately these don't appear to have moved to release.:(

Yes. Which_One_Is_Pink reported this on March 19th on QQ. He said, "I was listening to Cherry Red Radio (episode 11 from Dec 2020) today on Delicious Agony Prog Rock Radio and one of the last songs they played was Lazarus from Deadwing and after it finished they were talking about Steven Wilson and brought up the 5.1 mix he did for Hawkwind's Warriors on the Edge of Time and said he had also done 5.1 mixes for Quark Strangeness and charm, PXR5 and Hawklords and they should be released sometime this year! I could not find anything here on the forum about this but fantastic if true. love me some Quark in 5.1!"

Back