Radiohead's - In Rainbows

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Glocka

Not a huge fan of these guys but thought their latest - "In Rainbows" was kinda good. On a whim, I played it thru the variomatrix "surround" on a Sansui 7001x. The rears came alive and sounded like a decent quad mix. I haven't tried any of their other stuff but I believe I might have to. Perhaps the DPLII will do the same. Something fun to do as we await whatever comes next in surround.

Yeah, I agree this whole album decodes beautifully. I think 15 Steps and Reckoner in surround are my favorite. And is it just me, or do you think that something this consistent has to be mixed that way on purpose?

Interesting...

My car is iPod/iPhone friendly, but I'm usually playing DVD's (A&V) while driving so don't use that feature much. But yesterday my battery was running low, so I set the songs to shuffle and plugged it in to charge on the drive home. All sounded as expected (blah) until "Nude" from In Rainbows played. Instruments and voice from the rears and sides?!? Where did that come from?!? Played it again to confirm I wasn't imagining things, and I wasn't.
Will play the whole album next, but obviously I was stunned. For the record, I downloaded In Rainbows from iTunes (not on my iPod from a burned CD).

Yeah the only problem with both is that you either need a center to boost Thom or you need to turn down the surrounds. He seems a little burried in the mix on both OK and In Rainbows.

Eh I hit OK with a little EQ around the 7k zone and that seems to help get rid of the masking. Some of the time it's mixed with the reverbs and guitars just loud enough to mask his voice.

Back