RCVR: Fisher (Sears) Model 9765 Quadraphonic Receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrockasaurus

If you have any more photo's or comments to make on this quadraphonic receiver please feel free to post them in this thread....:)

Fisher (Sears) Model 9765 Quadraphonic Receiver

Rarity: RARE
Average Sale Price: UNKNOWN

Fisher (SEARS) 9765 Quadraphonic Receiver.jpg

Note the mis-spelling of the word Quadraphonic..!!

Last edited:
Everyone spelled "Quadraphonic" differently back then - one magazine, I think Popular Electronics, had a little blurb about it stating that the term "quadra" in
"quadraphonic" was not latin or greek but garbage and that "quadriphonic" was correct. Quadrophonic was used often too. I like "QUADRAphonic" best and that seems to be the term that's the 'correct' spelling nowadays. In reality, "Tetraphonic" is what it really should be. So we'd go from monophonic to stereophonic to tetraphonic then quintaphonic.

This is my first posting. This was my first stereo receiver I had ever bought. That was in the early to mid-seventies. I could only afford two Fisher speakers which had a 10-inch and 12-inch woofer in each. I kept blowing the amp out. It went back to the repair shop once or twice and I gave up and got a 2-channel. I believe I paid $2K for this receiver, 2 speakers ($300 each -now dead) and a turntable. It had great sound! I am unable to find what Sears by Fisher I have now. The Bang and Olufsen people who cleaned it said it was very nice! Thanks for the photo. It brings back sweet memories of loud shaking walls.

This is a correction to my first posting. It was around $2K total. Things were much more scarce and priced higher in those days. No internet to search for the best buy. I wanted Fisher and Sears was the only place I could find them at the time. I have read threads elsewhere where they are not as valuable as the "just" Fisher logo but it has served me very well for 35+ years.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 9765. These units are pretty rare now and any in use info is appreciated.

From what I've read, Fisher had some major quality control issues once they started foreign manufacturing of their components in the 70's...and your experience might?? have been typical. At some point they asked Sanyo Japan with help on improving their quality control. Sanyo eventually took Fisher over.

A bit of extra info....The 9765, started out as the identical looking Fisher 634, but it seems was renamed when Fisher did their deal (..or was it a partial company sale/takeover??) with Sears to start selling Fishers in store.

Fisher 634 Image below - with old FISHER logo/name above the meters & model number badge/logo on the right of the unit...otherwise appears (mostly) identical to the 9765.

Fisher 634 Quad Receiver.jpg

Last edited:
i just found a working 634 at the local flea market for 25.00 what a deal ill never part with it

Back