Receivers that decode 4.0 PCM/MLP recordings over HDMI

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Mark Anderson

I have a Samsung bluray player that reads the 4.0 pink floyd tracks and sends them to the receiver as 5.1 thus eliminating the problem my Marantz 7011 has with playing 4.0 correctly. I have since ripped all my music and play from computer over HDMI using Jriver which also sends 4.0 files as 5.1.
The only bummer is a cant switch between the 4.0 and 5.1 on the fly like you can on the bluray

JediJoker

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Maybe I'm missing something, but don't most Denon/Oppo receiver/player combos do this? My 4200/103D combo does. This is the WYWH 4.0 mix:

View attachment 53831
That's how it looks on my 103D/SR6014 combo, but the UB820 adds silent C and LFE channels, so those show as both "input signal" and "active speakers" despite having no content other than what gets bass-managed to the sub by the SR6014.

Last edited:

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Anybody have this beast? @marpow ???

It’s got analog inputs as well!

Clint Eastwood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Anybody have this beast? @marpow ???

It’s got analog inputs as well!

I love McIntosh gear...always have...but I don't like the USB in the back of the unit

Mark Anderson

Maybe I'm missing something, but don't most Denon/Oppo receiver/player combos do this? My 4200/103D combo does. This is the WYWH 4.0 mix:
View attachment 53831
My Oppo 83 and 203 sends the Pink Floyd quad bluray's as 4.0 which the Marantz 7010 does not decode properly so only the front channels are heard even though the receiver shows front and rear channels. Some other bluray players and computer programs add the silent center and/or sub to get around this.

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
My Oppo 83 and 203 sends the Pink Floyd quad bluray's as 4.0 which the Marantz 7010 does not decode properly so only the front channels are heard even though the receiver shows front and rear channels. Some other bluray players and computer programs add the silent center and/or sub to get around this.
I believe I’ve seen Kal mention that JRiver does that, not sure if Foobar2000 can though.
:unsure: But easily added in Audacity if need be (albeit a frustrating additional step!)

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I believe I’ve seen Kal mention that JRiver does that, not sure if Foobar2000 can though.
:unsure: But easily added in Audacity if need be (albeit a frustrating additional step!)
I have the MX122 which I think is about the same but the 170 has the room correction built in. Otherwise it is a separate if wanted there room correct with the MX122, and yes the JRiver accomplished that.

paligap

QQ Supporter
I went back and checked just to make sure my receiver wasn't displaying four channels but only playing two. It does play the four channels. I guess I was a little surprised at the relatively short list of receivers on the first post that do this.