Recommendations Request.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtgc

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I have a DIN opening in my car. I have four speakers plus a center channel. I need recommendations on what the members of this forum would recommend as to a head end unit that will play surround sound formatted DVD's or SACD's etc.

Sorry about being so open ended in this request, but I need as much information as possible.

Thanks in advance,

MTGC
Michael

Old Quad Guy,

Thanks for the information. I checked with Amazon and they have this unit for $179.95 plus shipping. Is this a good price or do you know of a better place to buy?

Other Forum members, any information or input you have will be greatly appreciated.

MTGC

Old Quad Guy,

Thanks for the information. I checked with Amazon and they have this unit for $179.95 plus shipping. Is this a good price or do you know of a better place to buy?

Other Forum members, any information or input you have will be greatly appreciated.

MTGC

Yes, that's about the going rate, although a refurbished unit, will save you $50. I thought I saw these unit's (or could have been a slightly different model) going for $140, but that was a year ago. Since Amazon has them in stock themselves, I would buy here as well and get a new unit. It will play SACD (heh, not sure about playing rare SACD titles in the car) and only Dolby Digital with pro logic. I don't see DTS, but I'm not sure there are that many car surround options, that is unless you buy an Acura with a ELS surround system.

Here are all eBay prices new and used, low to high:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=So...&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

Old Quad Guy,

Thanks for all your help and research. Those prices seem to be pretty good, so I think I shall purchase one. I will give the Forum a full update when I get the unit fully installed, up and running. As info, it is going in a 1996 Corvette.

MTGC

Old Quad Guy,

Thanks for all your help and research. I think those prices are pretty good, so I shall buy one. I will Keep the Forum updated as to when I get it fully installed, any and all problems encountered and the final results. As information, the unit will be going in a 1996 Corvette.

Thanks again,

MTGC

Yes, let us know how it goes with the unit. It has DTS capabilities according to page 7 of the manual. Here's an excerpt from page 7:

Attachments

• Page7excerpt.jpg
    Page7excerpt.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 250
Old Quad Guy,

Thanks for the information. I ordered the unit today and will keep the forum advised as to installation progress and/or problems.

MTGC

UPDATE 1:

The supplier of the unit sent me an email yesterday, Nov. 3 indicating they were sold out of the unit and refunded my money. Now, I have re-ordered the unit from Amazon and will keep my fingers crossed that this supplier can get the unit to me.

More to come.

MTGC

Received the unit Wednesday. Very nice unit, but one problem immediately apparent. No amplilfied output for the center channel. It has an output for an amplifier, so this is problem number one. Gotta figure out a way to get the center channel powered.

Will keep the forum updated as events occur.

MTGC

Latest Update: Just ordered the wiring harness, mounting system and antenna adapter from Crutchfield. Will keep all forum members informed as to progress.

MTGC

I have the Sony SACD player installed in my 1966 Volvo 122s and I absolutely love it. You won't be sorry.

mtgc, As far as the center channel goes, look for a small motorcycle amp. A stereo amp will let you power a sub and center speaker. A motorcycle amp of decent quality can be found for $50 if you are patient, and they are small enough that you can hide it under a seat somewhere.

BACK!!!

Finally got the 'vette out of the shop. Been a long and winding road since my last post. I will be, over the next few weeks, be installing the Sony Mex-dv2200 SACD - DVD into my '96 Corvette. First on the list is what center channel speaker arrangement to use. I know it must be amplified independant of the Sony unit, since the Sony only has a line out for the center channel.

I ask all Forum members for any and all input concerning how to set up and arrange the center channel for this unit.

Thanks to all in advance,

MTGC
Michael

Hello Michael,

I'm sure folks will give you better idea's. Corvette's are sweet, but have little room inside, at least the model years I've been in them. I have in the past just put a small speaker in a small vehicle right under the dash, where are the wiring is unseen if that's possible. It might be possible to use a "phantom center" setting if this player allows that and use 4 instead of five or more speakers.

Hello Michael,

I'm sure folks will give you better idea's. Corvette's are sweet, but have little room inside, at least the model years I've been in them. I have in the past just put a small speaker in a small vehicle right under the dash, where are the wiring is unseen if that's possible. It might be possible to use a "phantom center" setting if this player allows that and use 4 instead of five or more speakers.

This unit has a phantom center setting but I do not recommend that you use it. When you opt for the phantom center channel, SACD will not play in HQ mode (@176.4 kHZ) - only in standard mode (@44.1 kHZ) a big, audible difference - it will sound better as quad w/the center channel sent to both the FR & FL. A separate center channel speaker is definitely the way to go - not a lot of options unfortunately, but Pioneer makes a dashboard mountable, low-profile center speaker if room is an issue. Although they are not so easy to find, a small 50 watt ( or less) amp (mono preferably) will do the job to drive the speaker. Depending on your sub amp, you may also be able to use an output to drive the center as well.

Last edited:
Back