Remembering Record Stores

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Jazz Cellar on Milwaukee's East Side.

Dad was a huge jazz fan, and even before we moved up to Chicago's North Shore when we still lived near Belmont and Sheridan - since even Dr. Wax and Stax-o'Trax on North Clark Street only carried CHICAGO jazz and blues - my Dad would make a weekly or monthly trip up to Milwaukee to get some obscure jazz record or other he couldn't getat home - and then make the rounds of the same Peaches, Radio Doctors, Mean Mountain Music, Final Vinyl and all the other one-off record shops that were all pretty much one-man operations all over Southeast Wisconsin and Northwestern Illinois.

We'd make a great big loop up through Milwaukee and Green Bay - stop off at my aunt's in Wausau and spend the night - head out in the morning to Madison and Rockford to get all the wierd jazz and experimental music - which in those days was just dumped unceremoniously into Jazz for lack of a better place to put it - and the eclectic tastes of jazz lovers who might like it vs the fickle pop and rock people - and be home in time for supper.

Also - Green Onions in Center City Philadelphia.

They called it that because two old Godfather-type brothers by the name of Scallione (pronounced Sca- lee-oh-nay) owned it.

I got a job there my sophomore year in college only because the boys' father Adriano caught me waiting in behind the Italian restaurant two doors down for them to throw out all their leftovers at the end of the night - dragging disposable aluminum pans out of the garbage with their lids to put all the food in so I could get on the Market-Frankford el-train.

I'd balance one or two trays on my lap and go back to the closet known as my apartment in Upper Darby - preferring to get off in Millbourne so I didn't have to fight the crowds - and the SEPTA security - that were always crawling all over 69th Street - even though it meant an extra six blocks to walk - at least I could do it in peace.

So one day after school lets out of my freshman year, Adriano catches me like I said - only I don't know it at the time. Having lived in Philly over a year and a half already by then, I had picked up a little bit of Italian comprehension - especially my landlady's fights with her husband.

Coupled with the Quebecoise French my grandmother spoke, I found out I could figure out more Italian than I thought.

So the next time I'm in there spending money on records instead of eating, their mother Adele comes out, gives me the long look up and down - and gives the Evil Eye to Adriano - who shrugs. I pay and leave, and not one second later I hear Adele yelling in Italian I can sort of semi-decode something about how much (of my college grant) money I'm spending in there and how skinny I am.

Adriano's big booming voice yells back in Italian something about being Jewish and how Jews are supposed to be thin. This goes on for some minutes until I hear Adele clear as a bell talking something about `he loves music so much he needs to work here when Giuliano leaves for college (in a month) and get paid for it - in records if you're too stingy to pay him in cash.

I snort trying to suppress a laugh and Adriano hears it, comes storming out and, trying to stammer out some scrambled Itanglish that you eventually learn from living in Philly - and tells me his wife wants to know if I want to work there. I say yes, and for the next three years I'm living in heaven. All the records I want, above minimum pay besides, i learn how to cook and serve in the restaurant - turned out his cousin owns it - and never had to worry about being a Skinny Jew.

When Adriano died the summer after my senior year, his wife wasn't interested, in the business even tho she knew almost as much as he from doing it so long - the two boys didn't have the knowledge or skill and I was headed to L.A.

And so they sold out and it became a tobbacconists.

I heard on the radio 2 days ago that Colony Music in New York will close next month. I thought they closed some years ago with the development of times square. Been a while since I've been to N.Y.
I used to visit this store every week, along with King Karol, Sam Goody and Walley's tape world. They had some rare records and lots of 45's. I used to hand the guy a list of 45's I wanted, he would go to the back room for a couple minutes and come out with every request. They must have had a huge selection back there.
The good old days. Would shop all morning for quad, pig out on a couple slices of New York pizza or a wonderful gyro for lunch and then listen to 70MM movies all day. Ziegfeld, Loews Astor Plaza, RKO Cinerama, UA Rivoli, Criterion center, National theatre, Loews State and many more. I think the only one left is the Ziegfeld.
I guess I should go down there soon to visit Colony one more time for nostalgia.
Phil.

Colony had a KILLER selection of used LP's, CD's & 45's. Prices were SKY HIGH! Still, I would occasionally visit there and browse after a concert or Broadway show. As I recall, they were open all night.

Colony on 42nd St was huge. I remember those racks above with rows and rows of LPs. I also remember the Q8's being $8.98 and up, even some that had cut-out marks on them! (in the early '80s)

This'll make some of y'all laugh. I don't remember *new* record stores per se, but I do remember as a child of about 5 or 6 in the early 80s being taken into Trail, BC (one town down the river) and they had a Kresge's Department store. The basement was all toys, they had a nifty diner counter right as you walked in but in the back was the music department. Radios, Turntables,TVs, etc. I can't recall ever looking through LP's as a kid, but I was totally into 8-tracks back then and Kresge's always had a huge assortment of tapes to choose from. I can still remember the big, wide tables of 8-tracks but they only had a tiny rack up by the cash register for cassettes! We're so back-woods out here, CD's didn't even make an appearance 'til the early 90's! There was a HUGE public outcry when our only radio station announced they'd be switching to FM broadcast. Literally hundreds of people wrote in to the newspaper to say how much they hated the idea. Why??? Very few people had an FM radio in their cars! Even my mom in 1990, was still driving a '75 Valiant. ;)

I don't remember any Q8's at the Kresge's, I probably wouldn't have known what that was. My uncle at the time had a '74 Continental with the Quadrasonic Stereo and even he had no idea what it was all about.

You've reminded me how much we sometimes take for granted. In '74, there were 9 stores at the mall near my house that sold software. 6 sold Quad. Within a couple miles, the were 11 more stores that sold software. 9 of those sold Quad. 10 of those 18 stores sold brand-name component hi-fi and car-fi. One of those stores was Korvettes, who had EVERY title in print domestically in EVERY format., and lots of imports. There were lot s of sales and price wars. You could buy Quad LP's on sale for $3.79. $1 more for Q8. Those really WERE the days.

Colony on 42nd St was huge. I remember those racks above with rows and rows of LPs. I also remember the Q8's being $8.98 and up, even some that had cut-out marks on them! (in the early '80s)
I think you're thinking of King Karol. They were on 42nd. st. Colony was a little further uptown. I think it was around 49th. st. and Broadway, give or take a block or two.
Phil.

I think you're thinking of King Karol. They were on 42nd. st. Colony was a little further uptown. I think it was around 49th. st. and Broadway, give or take a block or two.
Phil.

You're tight, Phil. Colony was on the corner there, further North of Times Square. Man, it's been a long time. Colony had a great music book selection (I think?) :mad:@:

Colony had a lot of sheet music, too. It's on the ground floor of the Brill Building on Broadway. I was in Paul Simon's inner office there and he's got a wall of gold LP's behind his desk.

You're tight, Phil. Colony was on the corner there, further North of Times Square. Man, it's been a long time. Colony had a great music book selection (I think?) :mad:@:

For the classical stuff, I fondly remember:

Willie Lerner's Music Masters on 43rd Street: Walls of classical imports along with a tantalizing collection of concert/opera bootlegs. Scattered around were vintage Thorens music boxes and a few modern components. Very sophisticated for a college guy.

Joe Greenspan's The Discophile Shop on 8th Street: All the European releases were available as if they were local. Great music was always playing and I could never leave without abusing my credit cards. Tim Page of the NYTimes called it 'possibly the finest record store in the world.' Later, when I was working at the Record Centre (across the street), I took my lunches with Joe and learned a lot about music, recordings and life, in general. My boss was always suspicious of our lunches.

Record Centre: A mini-chain in NYC which seemed to aspire to the stature of The Discophile Shop but was more successful in making good classical LPs, domestic and imported, more widely available geographically and temporally. They were also the US distributor for Electrola (German HMV). Through college and grad school, I worked at all the stores but the best gig was the 8PM to 4AM shift at the Village store on 8th Street. I could play anything in stock! The clerks competed on impressing each other (and, sometimes, the customers) with our music selections, so I learned a lot about jazz and rock, too. We also competed in unloading the boss's bulk purchases regardless of our opinions of the music. I recall a really terrible Bernstein/Vivaldi LP which we moved by the case. VIVALDI.jpg

Last edited:
I want to give some love to a record store that has come back from the dead. Eastside Records was a vinyl institution for years in Tempe, AZ. After losing their lease a couple of years ago they set up shop in a temporary space for a while then shut down after that lease ran out. The owner planned to move to California and re-open a store there. Instead he eventually found another spot in Tempe, right off the ASU campus, on Forest, north of University. They just re-opened last month. They have by far the best vinyl collection in the valley. If you live in the Phoenix area, check this place out and let's help keep it alive!

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2012/10/eastside_records_returns_again_tempe.php

Delicious Vinyl opened a new record store here in Hollywood a couple of weeks ago.

It’s at 6607 Sunset Blvd.

They often have a DJ spinning vinyl in the evening, with some speakers set up out on the sidewalk.

I walk by on my way home from work.

MAMMOTH MUSIC MART!! Half a million LP's, with 10,000 new titles everyday. Sounds too good to be true? For two weeks every October, this "flash" store existed in a block long tent in the parking lot of Old Orchard Mall in Skokie, IL. In 2002, the party ended for good after 25 years. Chicago Tribune articles:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2002-10-04/entertainment/0210040366_1_lps-collections-finale
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...nt/9609270173_1_sale-record-mart-als-research

LP's, tapes, CD's, sheet music, musical instruments, hi-fi (and low-fi) gear, and music collectibles were donated throughout each year. Many music industry people donated generously, including WXRT 93, a sponsor of the event. Each October, they were sold to benefit the Les Turner ALS Foundation. ALS stands for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. The Mammoth Music Mart's proceeds were used to find research. Les Turner was also the father of a client of mine.

The tent had a cordoned off area of tens of thousands of highly collectible LP's and other jewels. One never knew what highly sought after items might be uncovered. Each year, I would visit this area first. Then, it would be countless hours in the browser bins.

In addition, many musicians and disc jockeys performed at the Mart. Dick Clark was Honorary Chairperson for over 20 years: http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/2012/04/19/dick-clark-at-the-les-turner-als-mammoth-music-mart/

Sadly, I couldn't find a picture of the records or the tent, a "mirage" that mysteriously appeared each year, then disappeared after two weeks. The picture below shows a corner of the tent with Dick Clark and other dignitaries. Like many of the great record stores, I sorely miss the Mammoth Music Mart. Words don't do it justice. You had to be there.

a4ec98693c2857bad61026637c906949_f76.jpg

Once a year we have a record-cd sale at a local firehouse. We have found real gems there and dirt cheap. Problem is you want almost everything!

Sorry I missed the big events, but there is a similar non-mammoth event that I went to a couple years ago just down the road from Chi-town.
All the records,cd,equipment are donated. If you are looking for a Dan Fogelberg LP... they had a bunch last time.
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2013-03-31/vintage-vinyl-donations-sought.html
I always wanted to be a 'sorter' at one of these, get to see the goodies before anybody else.

vinylguy4

Milwaukee Memories:

Peaches on Silver Spring was in an old Red Owl grocery store:
Peaches.jpg

With an original store address of 1812 Brady St., naming it 1812 Overture was a natural:
1812-overture-records-tapes-men_design.jpg

Not long ago, Atomic Records closed. The store is now Atomic Glass.
atomic-records.jpg

Back