Remembering Record Stores

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it was the passage of the 2/15/1972 law that actually made copying records and tapes illegal. All records made before that date are still fair game.
No this would have been the early 80's when I was in college. I am certain some of the bands we rented were contemporary (for 1982). They also bought and sold used lps and cds, so maybe that was the loophole. They could always claim it was a use lp that they rented. Or if they really wanted to split hairs, that they charged the renter the regular price for the album and then bought it back from them used the next day for $2 less than they had sold it for.

Last edited:
In another thread, Clement mentioned that Sunday is the last day for Dave's Records in Chicago.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-the-turntable-now.28188/page-103#post-664850
I spent lots of time and money at Dave's over the years. It was previously a local chain 2nd Hand Tunes. Dave was Manager for them and a great guy. Good selection of quality used, sealed vintage and new vinyl. He'll be missed!!

I still have a sealed SQ Full Sail I bought from Dave.

In another thread, Clement mentioned that Sunday is the last day for Dave's Records in Chicago.
Time Passages. :(
Dang Linda, where'd the years go?
I also spent a bit of time there many years back, though not as much as you I'm sure. Sounds like you were the ultimate record seeker back in the day. I do so miss all the stores and sharing the excitement with so many others back when just about everyone had a decent receiver and speakers in the living room and were talking about so & so's latest release.
Now those few of us left hang out at forums like this.
Hat's off to everyone here!

I went to Dave’s Records this afternoon (Saturday). The place was packed.

Dave’s was the only record store I’ve ever seen with a dedicated quadraphonic section. I bought like 15 LPs: Janis Ian, Carole King, Carmina Burana, bunch of classical, and record company quad compilations/demonstrations.
That's AWESOME! You must have arrived after i left today. Way to leave the Quad section 15 LPs lighter! Did you see Azteca? Dave had moved it over to Soul!
IMG_20221213_151126_01.jpg

932F58E3-F4C4-4262-B55A-5D2AD226B81C_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't let it get away.
You'll regret it for years :p
Man! You nailed it, Sal–it's like you're reading my mind! Check out this POST i dropped in another thread over the summer. I saw the album today at Dave's! I picked it up, and the day i sold it to pay the rent–over 40 years ago!–came rushing back to me. I took this album up to the cashier and bought it!
1671342839745.png

Last edited:

Dave’s was the only record store I’ve ever seen with a dedicated quadraphonic section. I bought like 15 LPs: Janis Ian, Carole King, Carmina Burana, bunch of classical, and record company quad compilations/demonstrations.
May I recommend, if you don't already have one, is an Involve Audio Surround Master v.3? Many of us, on this forum, are using this miraculous component, and it will not only let you hear the best from the matrix quad records you have, it will work its magic on your stereo records and CD's, too. Go to involveaudio.com to check it out.

Did you make the pilgrimage from Michigan? Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Clement that satanic majesties is worth having just for the cover!
Better than the music contained therein..
I have one and I used to have an extra 3d cover somewhere. If I still have it that's going upon the wall...

Okay, let me get some memories of Dave's down whilst the experience is still fresh in my mind . . . fresh-ish:

I used to stay at Addison and Halsted in the mid-80's, and i frequented 2nd Hand Tunes (which is what Dave's was before he bought it in 2002). Since i got back into vinyl, i've been heading to
Squeezebox in Evanston. And though i'm not set up to play Quad LPs, i do ask the owner, Tim, to give me a head's up when any Quads show up. Tim sent me a text last week letting me know that Dave's was closing, and Dave has a nice Quad section.

If you have been following my
POSTS on the "Spinning on the Turntable now ..." thread, you know i made the pilgrimage down to Dave's four consecutive daze [sic], Thursday-Sunday (Dave's last hurrah). Everything was 50% off, and i mos' def' took advantage! Each day got a bit busier, and--except for Sunday, Dave's final day, which was PACKED--i engaged in nice, long conversations with Dave and the staff. Well, the most mind-blowing of those conversations happened on Saturday.

I was shlepping a heavy stack around the store, so i made my way to the counter to see if they might cache my stash whilst i continued to search. The young man (he's 31!) who took my stack asked me, "Did you used to teach at Evanston? Are you Mr. $@%&#@!?"

Stunned, i answered in the affirmative, and the young man's face slowly morphed into what he looked like 15 or so years earlier!

"Oh my gosh," he exclaimed, "I was just talking about you yesterday!" He then recounted the story he told a co-worker about my playing Bill Evans's "Peace Piece" for the class. He had told the story because Dave–who is his father–has an old-school pressing of Everybody Digs Bill Evans on the wall (i think he was asking $250).

When he was in my class back in 2008, i was going toe-to-toe with the administration and was on the edge after a particularly contentious closed-door meeting during which i was threatened with a write-up. In order to focus and be of service to my students, i turned the lights off, played "Peace Piece," and asked students to write about it in their journals . . . or just enjoy the music! The young man (Sam is his name) told me he was so moved by the music that he bitstreamed it that night and has been a fan ever since!

Here are pictures of former teacher and former student and the store on its penultimate day:
1671551367346.png
49697826-1B7C-4F74-969A-A0989BED635D_1_105_c.jpeg

Thursday and Friday i travelled solo; Saturday and Sunday i was blessed to travel down with my Vinyl Mentor: DJ Evil Vince, who livestreams on
Twitch on Friday nights–sign up for notifications. Here's the store packed to the racks on Dave's final day:
15F89402-BD86-46DF-9BAC-03406498A6EF_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Back